Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 10:22 AM

4 posts, read 7,398 times

Advertisements

Nice little forum you've got here, folks.

We're Canadians living in Calgary and considering moving to Bothell where my wife has been offered a transfer. My wife is French Canadian and my kids are bilingual. (Well...one is "prelingual" but she kisses on both cheeks so, here's hoping.)

Does anyone know of a french immersion daycare a reasonable distance from Bothell? Not a requirement for us (they go to English daycare now), just a nice perk.

Language aside, what should we expect in terms of daycare quality and cost in the region? We currently pay just under $2000 for the two girls in a place we're very happy with that has an acceptable ratio (minimum 1:4 for the one-year-old; 1:8 for the three-year-old). Moreover they were so very sweet when my daughter threw up on at least two of them this morning. (Overachiever.)

Can we expect the same level of care or should we be lowering our expectations or raising our budget?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2011, 01:01 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,713,056 times
I don't know of anything like that on the North end but you might check out around the Issaquah area. Will they both be full time care? I would think you will need to increase your budget for two, full time, with one still in diapers, without including French.

Old 12-02-2011, 01:14 PM

151 posts, read 548,351 times
Issaquah would be way to far to go from Bothell. Bright Horizions is pretty popular here. I don't know about the French Imersion though. I do think your budget will have to increase. You can always call and find out the costs. When we thought we would have to utilize a daycare we called around, and found that $1800 for a 12 month was about the going rate for places we felt comfortable with.

Old 12-02-2011, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy416 View Post
Issaquah would be way to far to go from Bothell. Bright Horizions is pretty popular here. I don't know about the French Imersion though. I do think your budget will have to increase. You can always call and find out the costs. When we thought we would have to utilize a daycare we called around, and found that $1800 for a 12 month was about the going rate.
And $1800. was just for one, right?

Once you get past Bellevue, it would be reverse traffic. Bothell is exit 24 and 26 and Issaquah is off 90 which is exit 10? So yes, it's not close, maybe 45 minutes? I'm just thinking there's more of a possibility for something unique like French in Daycare in Issaquah or Mercer Island. Maybe Redmond, possibly Bellevue.

Old 12-02-2011, 01:28 PM

Yep, that was just for one.

Your right they might like the drive, and it could work for them. It takes me 45 minutes to get to Bellevue from Bothell in the morning. Since they are both probably working the would have to drive from one part of Bothell to Issaquah and then to work. But one could be working in Issaquah or somewhere close by.

Old 12-02-2011, 04:41 PM

Thanks guys, very helpful. Except I'm having sticker shock. Is that tax deductible in the US, at least?

Full time WAS the plan but I'm starting to think I'm in the wrong line of work. Anybody interested in a French dayhome?

Old 12-02-2011, 05:01 PM

A lot of people hire nannies here, as it can be more afforadable. I think $3,000 toal yearly can be claimed as a deduction OR you could put $5,000 yearly in pre tax FSA funds. ***Please verify this tax info***

Old 12-02-2011, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy416 View Post
A lot of people hire nannies here, as it can be more afforadable. I think $3,000 toal yearly can be claimed as a deduction OR you could put $5,000 yearly in pre tax FSA funds. ***Please verify this tax info***
Exactly. I don't remember the deduction but we were never able to claim anywhere near the amount we actually spent on child care.

Old 12-04-2011, 09:06 AM

30 posts, read 136,069 times
There are two French immersion schools we have found in the Seattle area (we're relocating as well). One is FISW (French Immersion School in Washington) in Issaquah. That is about 10-12k for full time 5 days a week care. The other is French American School of Puget Sound and that is 15k for 5 days a week. Keep in mind that is only school year as well, so 10 months, not 12. They both have financial aid as they are both private schools, not daycare. FISW goes from 3years to 5th grade and FASPS goes from 3 years to 8th grade.

Old 12-04-2011, 10:19 AM

Thanks wegotworms, I'll check those out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area