Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2011, 10:33 PM

1 posts, read 1,763 times

Advertisements

I have to start with, "first time post, take it easy on me."

I will be relocating to Redmond in the middle of February or early March. I am looking for any tips or suggestions that you have for me.

I am single person and will be selling everything that I currently have and just taking a one way flight to Seattle to start the new adventure. I already have a job lined up with my company but I know very little about the area. Any recommendations on apartments? I would be looking for under 900 at the moment. And what does an average electric bill run?

Is a car really necessary in the Redmond area? I plan to get an apartment pretty close to where I work but not sure of how the public transportation is. I am moving from a city where its pretty non-existent. I have had a car ever since I was 16 years old and now being almost 30, it scares me a bit to not have a vehicle. But I here its really manageable in the area but don't know first hand. How about getting to and from DT Seattle from Redmond without a car? Kinda just curious as to how much I would limit myself without a car.

I would be flying in sometime in January to take a look around and to find a place to live. Is taking two or three days enough time to get a feel for the area, pending I do a lot of research and planning online before I go? Being that I have never been there before, I don't want to get overwhelmed when I arrive. And are there any areas that I should avoid?

That is enough for now and I appreciate the replies!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2011, 10:43 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,713,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingInquiry View Post
I have to start with, "first time post, take it easy on me."

I will be relocating to Redmond in the middle of February or early March. I am looking for any tips or suggestions that you have for me.

I am single person and will be selling everything that I currently have and just taking a one way flight to Seattle to start the new adventure. I already have a job lined up with my company but I know very little about the area. Any recommendations on apartments? I would be looking for under 900 at the moment. And what does an average electric bill run?

Is a car really necessary in the Redmond area? I plan to get an apartment pretty close to where I work but not sure of how the public transportation is. I am moving from a city where its pretty non-existent. I have had a car ever since I was 16 years old and now being almost 30, it scares me a bit to not have a vehicle. But I here its really manageable in the area but don't know first hand. How about getting to and from DT Seattle from Redmond without a car? Kinda just curious as to how much I would limit myself without a car.

I would be flying in sometime in January to take a look around and to find a place to live. Is taking two or three days enough time to get a feel for the area, pending I do a lot of research and planning online before I go? Being that I have never been there before, I don't want to get overwhelmed when I arrive. And are there any areas that I should avoid?

That is enough for now and I appreciate the replies!
Personally, I would not want to live in Redmond without a car but there is bus service. Apartments in Redmond for $900 would be very difficult to find. If you are planning on working in Redmond, you might consider living further out if $900 is a solid budget amount. You might be able to rent a room in someone's house for that in Redmond. There are a ton of apartments and a lot of Microsoft people live and work there so the costs are higher. Microsoft also uses a lot of those apartments to transition employees to and from other locations so Redmond doesn't need to be all that competitive.

Old 12-06-2011, 10:57 PM

370 posts, read 1,068,584 times
Default Redmond

You could live in Redmond with no car. I have friend who commutes to the University of Washington by bus, The bus system is pretty reliable. If you do need a car occasionally you could use zip car or enterprise for the day. Since you are single check out Craigs list for a sublease or a room to rent. Microsoft brings in a lot of singles who share rooms and make it quite affordable. If you do use craigs list, please follow the normal cautions.
Hope this helps.

Old 12-06-2011, 11:00 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,713,056 times
Yes, you could share with someone.

Old 12-08-2011, 12:32 PM

1,651 posts, read 2,783,832 times
If you're not going to have a car and are going to be dependent on public transit - I'd consider living in a more dense, transit-friendly neighborhood (Cap Hill for example) and taking the bus to Remond to work. Having lived in Redmond - no way would I want to be at the mercy of public transit. The distances are too large, and the routes never seem to take you where you want to go so you're always looking at transfers and delays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: