Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2011, 03:10 PM

52 posts, read 136,343 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We are a family with 2 very small kids (1.5 and 3 years old) moving from ATL to Seattle. We have been struggling with the suburban life style here where one depends on a car to go everywhere. We have two cars though. We used to live in Vancouver and loved it there with staying in downtown and having everything at an arm's reach (we had 3000 kilometers on the clock of our car for two years).

We need some suggestions from you about which area we need to concentrate looking for an apartment/house to rent

1. We love being in the centre of everything, however away from drug dealers and similar
2. Safety
3. Good daycares
4. If possible, use public transport as much as possible

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2011, 04:44 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,287,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycarrival View Post
Hello,

We are a family with 2 very small kids (1.5 and 3 years old) moving from ATL to Seattle. We have been struggling with the suburban life style here where one depends on a car to go everywhere. We have two cars though. We used to live in Vancouver and loved it there with staying in downtown and having everything at an arm's reach (we had 3000 kilometers on the clock of our car for two years).

We need some suggestions from you about which area we need to concentrate looking for an apartment/house to rent

1. We love being in the centre of everything, however away from drug dealers and similar
2. Safety
3. Good daycares
4. If possible, use public transport as much as possible

Thanks for your help!
A few ideas:
Queen Anne-Nice, dense neighborhood close to downtown. If public schools are an issue, Queen Anne has some of Seattle's better schools.
Capitol Hill- Even more dense than Queen Anne and more diverse. Known as a gay neighborhood but certainly not exlusively gay, there's a lot of variety to Capitol Hill, from very dense to mostly quiet and residential. You can find drug dealers on capitol Hill if you were looking, but they're not in most parts of the neighborhood.
South Lake Union- Lots of shiny new buildings, home to Amazon.com.
Downtown Bellevue- Across the lake, lots of newer residential. Seattle folks and Eastside( Bellevue) folks always seem to be at war with each other, Seattle being called a run down slum full of drug dealers and left wing hippies, and Bellevue being described as the capital of BMW driving d-bags who think of nothing but material things. DT Bellevue has become increasingly dense, and has all kinds of eateries and shopping, as do the other neighborhoods I mentioned.

Old 12-10-2011, 06:05 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,668,264 times
With kids, you might take a close look at Issaquah. Great schools, lots of daycare options and many activities with housing that is not quite as expensive as other parts of the Eastside in older developments such as Klahanie.

Old 12-11-2011, 11:32 AM

5,003 posts, read 12,337,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
With kids, you might take a close look at Issaquah. Great schools, lots of daycare options and many activities with housing that is not quite as expensive as other parts of the Eastside in older developments such as Klahanie.
I think that might be too suburban for the OP. I'm thinking that outside of the immediate city of Seattle they might be feeling too car-constrained. I agree with Ira's suggestions.

Old 12-18-2011, 10:58 AM

114 posts, read 475,159 times
My husband and I moved from Atlanta (City of Decatur) to Seattle earlier this year. We had 2 cars and sold one (to CarMax--quick and easy, fair price) before we moved out here. We're getting by just fine with one car. We live in Wallingford and I take the bus downtown to work. I love being able to walk, bike, bus everywhere. We don't have kids, so I'm not as familiar with the schools here yet... I'm new here, but from what I've seen in the past few months, I think the Green Lake area and Queen Anne may also be good options for you. As others have mentioned, I think most places outside of the city may be too suburban and car-dependent--think Marietta, Roswell, Norcross (heck, all of ATL!). Good luck!

Old 12-19-2011, 06:43 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,321,941 times
I suggest looking at Downtown Bellevue area. I live there and like it a lot. Most of the apts are pricey but there are some cheap ones too within walking distance, just south of downtown. I walk to the grocery store, shopping, restaurant, barber, dentist, etc. I really only need my car for commuting to work. Schools in Bellevue are reportedly much better than Seattle. Streets are very safe--very little crime. Sorry can't tell you about day-care since I don't have kids.

Old 04-08-2012, 10:40 PM

52 posts, read 136,343 times
Can anyone advise on an apartment/house search? I went to Craigslist and I am finding strange places - mother-in-law staying in the cottage, owner living downstairs.
Are there no residential complexes with management offices I can connect with to avoid dealing with owners?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area