Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 11:19 AM

307 posts, read 1,420,974 times

Advertisements

For my own personal curiousity---what is it about these areas that seem so awful to those who say they would "never live south of seattle"??? all i see is quaint waterfront communities with reasonably priced housing and decent schools. i understand that areas inside Tacoma have pockets of high crime, but i don't think that's the case with UP, Steilacoom, Gig Harbor, etc. I'm not trying to be a contrarian, I'd just like more insight. Maybe there's something I'm not seeing. I DO know about the soil contamination issues in some of these areas....which is one negative.

Old 10-01-2007, 12:06 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,234,836 times
As a former agent in the region its not all about the eastside. I never understand why people totally write off the southend. Yes it has pockets of crime but the entire southend region? Please. There are very nice areas with good schools. There are beautiful areas of Tacoma. Do not listen to anyone who totally writes off the southend.

Old 10-15-2007, 11:52 AM

38 posts, read 139,570 times
Default Tacoma is A OK! They have guts over there!

Absolutely! I completely change my mind about Tacoma. If you care about your childs math education move to one of the afore mentioned areas in Tacoma!!! They had the guts to realize the sad state of affairs regarding Fuzzy math, new new math taught in Gig Harbor schools, Bellvue etc. many of the affluent areas ...most of the kids are so lost or behind by a year or two and moving from another state has been nothing but a nightmare regarding a student once quite proficient in math now struggling along with C-...omg, it is ridiculous. Tacoma said no more of our kids failing and our teachers having an impossible time teaching this pilot program that failed in California....Sooooo they paid 550,000 for Saxon math text books that took guts to return to "old fashioned math".........standardized math has failed miserably in Gig Harbor. What a shock it has been. Each school system can choose their own math program??? Odd...

Just my opinion and experience....also in 8th grade why not require the kids to read a book or two. The have "prime time" and read only on Mondays and Fridays (sometimes not even those days)....no book reports...this has been bad enough for us to consider moving back to Texas.

Elyse...(moved here from Dallas this summer, possibly moving back to Dallas just for a better education)

Last edited by Elyse33; 10-15-2007 at 11:58 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 10-15-2007, 08:22 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,157,672 times
Kent used to be a decent place, but seemed to be going downhill when I last lived in Seattle.

I don't know much about Vashon Island but it appears to be in a good location .... depends on commuting costs I suppose, could be high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area