Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 12:10 PM

2 posts, read 2,894 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone I am hoping I can get some information on living in Bellevue, WA. I am looking to relocate to either WA or Oregon. My husband is a truck driver and basically I can move anywhere on west coast. I have always loved Seattle many times have been there and have frinds there. Although originally I was keen on Oregon, I am finding some disadvantages there that are important to me. Mainly being school for my young children. Also economy. My quwstions are

#1 Is Bellevue removed from Seattle? I know they are close but does it seem to blend in with it.

# Does Bellevue have a nice feeling there? I mean does it seem friendly and small or is it large and congested?

#3 Are the schools really all they say they are? This is important to me because I was looking to put in private but if can find a great public system would be better.

Any info would be great. Thabnks in advance. Also how is economy there and property taxes and income taxes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2011, 12:15 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,584,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadiem23 View Post
Hello everyone I am hoping I can get some information on living in Bellevue, WA. I am looking to relocate to either WA or Oregon. My husband is a truck driver and basically I can move anywhere on west coast. I have always loved Seattle many times have been there and have frinds there. Although originally I was keen on Oregon, I am finding some disadvantages there that are important to me. Mainly being school for my young children. Also economy. My quwstions are

#1 Is Bellevue removed from Seattle? I know they are close but does it seem to blend in with it.
It's across a lake. So no, it doesn't blend in with it. Matter of fact, Bellevue has it's own skyline as businesses have increasingly moved to Bellevue from Seattle due to a more friendly business environment. The 2 cities really feel nothing alike even though it's only a 10 minute drive in the right conditions to make the trek between them.

Quote:
# Does Bellevue have a nice feeling there? I mean does it seem friendly and small or is it large and congested?
I like it immensely - considered a house there for a while before choosing the one I got, but I like certain things. It's got kind of an urban chic feel to it while also seeming a lot like Pleasantville. Lot sizes are typically large, so it's not congested housing wise. The road traffic on the interstates, however....

Quote:
#3 Are the schools really all they say they are? This is important to me because I was looking to put in private but if can find a great public system would be better.
They're not as good as Mercer Island's, but they're very highly rated, and light years ahead of Seattle or Portland schools.

Quote:
Any info would be great. Thabnks in advance. Also how is economy there and property taxes and income taxes?
Economy strong (so long as you're in the right fields). Property taxes absurdly high - can't avoid that anywhere on the West coast. No income taxes at all.

The one thing you'll want to look at, though (and forgive me for being presumptuous, but it's something that needs asking) is whether Bellevue is in your budget. It is, as Rick Steves puts it, "an epicenter of wealth". It's not a cheap place to live. Not sure what truck drivers make these days, but in my head, they aren't keeping pace with the tech wages that dominate the East side.

Old 12-13-2011, 02:35 PM

1,018 posts, read 3,379,415 times
Bellevue is pretty expensive, if you rent, its about 2000 a month or 24k a year for a 2 bedroom, which means your husband and you has to make about 72k a year total (rent should be no more than 1/3 your income per month.

A 3 br house would be 500k or so on the low end, or about 160k total family income

condo.. about 250k depending on condition, or about 83k family income

I know so because i knew a family that rented in bellevue for 2000 a month for their 2 kids to go to a better school system, they could of used that money and a house in auburn or covington. Most of the kids in the school system are from better off families, Microsoft is close by.$$$$

Old 12-13-2011, 04:59 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,864,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by civic94 View Post
Bellevue is pretty expensive, if you rent, its about 2000 a month or 24k a year for a 2 bedroom, which means your husband and you has to make about 72k a year total (rent should be no more than 1/3 your income per month.

A 3 br house would be 500k or so on the low end, or about 160k total family income

condo.. about 250k depending on condition, or about 83k family income

I know so because i knew a family that rented in bellevue for 2000 a month for their 2 kids to go to a better school system, they could of used that money and a house in auburn or covington. Most of the kids in the school system are from better off families, Microsoft is close by.$$$$
There are parts of Bellevue where she can find a 2bdrm apt for less than 2K/mo. The more accurate range would be more like $1050 to 2K plus a month.

As for 3 bdrm home... again, there are parts of Bellevue where it's actually more affordable with the older and smaller homes... if you look over to Lake Hills, she can actually get a home for around 350K. Strangely enough, there are some in the $250k range as well.

It's all about having the proper expectations.

If that family wants to send their kids to the Bellevue schools instead of Covington/Auburn, then that's their right. Covington/Auburn schools are nowhere near the levels of Bellevue schools.

Old 12-13-2011, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
There are parts of Bellevue where she can find a 2bdrm apt for less than 2K/mo. The more accurate range would be more like $1050 to 2K plus a month.

As for 3 bdrm home... again, there are parts of Bellevue where it's actually more affordable with the older and smaller homes... if you look over to Lake Hills, she can actually get a home for around 350K. Strangely enough, there are some in the $250k range as well.

It's all about having the proper expectations.

If that family wants to send their kids to the Bellevue schools instead of Covington/Auburn, then that's their right. Covington/Auburn schools are nowhere near the levels of Bellevue schools.

I said "around" 2k per month for rent, not minnimum of 2 k per month. yes, you can get a 500 sf 2 bedroom place that is in bad condition for 1000 a month. and yes, you can find a 1200 sf apartment in downtown Bellevue for 3k a month or even more.

Same with a 3 bedroom home. You can get a 100 year old shack that needs renovation for 250k. also some 3 bedroom homes are over a million. what im giving is a ideal place where a family can at least live healthy in a place that they can call "home".

as for myself, I pay 750 a month all utilities included in Seattle, its a 2 bedroom place that is 500 sf. Its fine for me and another person, but if I had a wife and 2 kids, it will be too small. I would at least need 800 sf.

Old 12-13-2011, 07:25 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,330,094 times
Quote:
I said "around" 2k per month for rent, not minnimum of 2 k per month. yes, you can get a 500 sf 2 bedroom place that is in bad condition for 1000 a month. and yes, you can find a 1200 sf apartment in downtown Bellevue for 3k a month or even more.

Same with a 3 bedroom home. You can get a 100 year old shack that needs renovation for 250k. also some 3 bedroom homes are over a million. what im giving is a ideal place where a family can at least live healthy in a place that they can call "home".

as for myself, I pay 750 a month all utilities included in Seattle, its a 2 bedroom place that is 500 sf. Its fine for me and another person, but if I had a wife and 2 kids, it will be too small. I would at least need 800 sf.
I'd like to see a one hundred year old house in Bellevue. Just a few years ago you couldn't touch anything in Bellevue for less than 500,000 dollars. That's not so true anymore. While it is true that if you did find something there for 250 it would be a major fixer, there are now a fair number of older but pretty nice houses for sale in Bellevue for 350-450 thousand, especially around Lake Hills, Crossroads, and Ardmore. A Really cool old mid century modern just sold in Bellevue for 385, and it had seen some nice renovation. Most of the stuff is a little higher.

Old 12-13-2011, 07:56 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
You have gotten accurate advice. I'll pitch in on the question of "friendly and small or is it large and congested". I had a business there for 17 years. It's pretty spread out, having a distinct downtown business district with upscale malls and skyscrapers, but also with very suburban areas, many with a few older strip malls. Many neighborhoods have a small, friendly feel to them.
In general though, it is very congested. During commute hours so many people working there come and go that the surface streets and freeways are all totally clogged up. Not as badly as the more prosperous years before about 2009 but there is a lot of ftraffic frustration if you try to get across town at 4-6pm.

Old 12-13-2011, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
I'd like to see a one hundred year old house in Bellevue. Just a few years ago you couldn't touch anything in Bellevue for less than 500,000 dollars. That's not so true anymore. While it is true that if you did find something there for 250 it would be a major fixer, there are now a fair number of older but pretty nice houses for sale in Bellevue for 350-450 thousand, especially around Lake Hills, Crossroads, and Ardmore. A Really cool old mid century modern just sold in Bellevue for 385, and it had seen some nice renovation. Most of the stuff is a little higher.

I was being sarcastic with the "100" year old shack, it means its pretty much garbage. yes there are some older fixer uppers built in the 50's that are single floored, and cost from 350-450. but again, on all my posts here, It has to be "healthy" for a family with kids. it means its not too big, not too small, safe (not a big issue all around Bellevue), and at least decent enough to live in it for 15 years so the kids (younger, older, maybe future one) can at least finish high school with the good school system. that means a kitchen, flooring, foundation, roof, can last for 15 years. Thats what I meant by the 500k number, thats what my relatives have taught me whom have houses in very good school districts. you have to factor in the future and the whole picture of how long your at least going to stay. If you bought a 350k home in Bellevue built in the 50's, and later on have to spend 150k for a roof, renovation, foundation, or whatever comes up, it becomes 500k.

An older home in Bellevue built in the 50's is already 60 years old. put on another 15 years in it is 75, I doubt you are not going to spent any money on it. Or you can buy a more expensive cookie cutter new quadrant home in Bellevue and not worry for 15 years

Old 12-13-2011, 11:13 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,864,026 times
Quote:
I said "around" 2k per month for rent, not minnimum of 2 k per month.
Not that it matters that much... but you said "about"... not "around". But whatever, not an issue to quibble about.

Quote:
I was being sarcastic with the "100" year old shack, it means its pretty much garbage. yes there are some older fixer uppers built in the 50's that are single floored, and cost from 350-450. but again, on all my posts here, It has to be "healthy" for a family with kids. it means its not too big, not too small, safe (not a big issue all around Bellevue), and at least decent enough to live in it for 15 years so the kids (younger, older, maybe future one) can at least finish high school with the good school system. that means a kitchen, flooring, foundation, roof, can last for 15 years. Thats what I meant by the 500k number, thats what my relatives have taught me whom have houses in very good school districts. you have to factor in the future and the whole picture of how long your at least going to stay. If you bought a 350k home in Bellevue built in the 50's, and later on have to spend 150k for a roof, renovation, foundation, or whatever comes up, it becomes 500k.
There may very well be nothing wrong with those 350-450 K houses. That's up to the buyers to do their due diligence and have someone come in and assess the house. A lot of times, the previous homeowners have already done remodels on those homes, so it's not completely outdated. You can't actually sit there and say it's "garbage". Your "standards" doesn't mean anything other than it's what you go by-- not that its right for everyone.

Quote:
An older home in Bellevue built in the 50's is already 60 years old. put on another 15 years in it is 75, I doubt you are not going to spent any money on it. Or you can buy a more expensive cookie cutter new quadrant home in Bellevue and not worry for 15 years
You talk about "healthy" ... then advocate a Quadrant home... Ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadiem23 View Post
Schools are very good. Some of the High schools are nationally ranked. Even the "bad" ones and the lower performing ones are still better than the state average.

Old 12-13-2011, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post

You talk about "healthy" ... then advocate a Quadrant home... Ok

I was joking about quadrant homes. did you see that i wrote "cookie cutter" and i put a smile at the end?. and no, I dont not work for quadrant homes, i have quite a few friends who bought them and the home feels cheap. I guess this forum is not the best place for a little joke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area