Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2011, 11:59 AM

1,279 posts, read 1,835,050 times

Advertisements

My first house I bought was on a busy street and it was a nightmare. Now as I ponder selling after a year (it has gone up in value) I wonder if there are other things I should be aware of when buying real estate.

Perhaps no houses too close to college campuses? Or no houses with very little buffer/yard between you and neighbors?

It's kind of like renting an apartment; there is a list of things you look for in a unit: top floor, corner unit, away from common areas such as laundry rooms, mail areas, emergency exits, elevators, pools, play areas, etc.

Same goes for houses, and in this first house I learned 3 lessons: 1) no houses on a major road 2) no houses too old 3) no houses in the ghetto.

But what other tips do you have?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2011, 12:03 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,087,832 times
No row houses or duplexes. Remember, their problem can be yours. Bugs, fire, water, etc. Then good luck fixing the problem or looking for cooperation.

Old 12-20-2011, 12:19 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,662,941 times
I agree with the observations you posted and found them to be true.

For us, it is no corner lots, busy streets, swimming pools (maintenance), trees too close to the structure as they provide a path for animals to enter the attic as well as being a lightning rod. Trees that are too large might come down in a storm and removing prior to that could run into thousands of dollars (- negotiating point for purchase price)Close to schools is also a turn off for us as they will through trash on your property as well as use it for whatever they like. Being within several blocks of a convience store is another one we also avoid as they tend to draw the wrong type of people to the area. And finally, when I googled Portland earthquakes I found several articles about fault lines for at least three different types of quakes, several could be extremely serious which are in all of the NW area. Although I would like to retire there, I think I'll pass for something else.

Also, when you find the one for you, always - always - always use several inspectors. At least one for electrical, plubming, roofer and a specialty one for fireplaces. Never, ever use the one your realtor happens to know as they are usually part of the food chain and will help to push the deal through. Don't forget to watch out for property taxes as many school districts are now wanting to tax the homeowners to death for their lack of planning, at least in my area.

Best of luck to you and keep us posted.

Old 12-20-2011, 12:42 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,772,742 times
The rooms you spend the most time in should be South facing to maximize sunlight. Bedrooms, tv room, etc can be north facing.

Remember that the house has to have gone up 10% for you to make any money. There's that 6% realtor fee, plus all those other fees and taxes you pay when you sell (and then buy the next place). Plus, the capitol gains are not going to be tax deductible on a place you only live in for 1 year.

I think that maybe you'd benefit from reading some real estate books before buying the next place.

Old 12-20-2011, 01:39 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,835,050 times
Lot's of good info. Another thing I've noticed is that dead ends seems to be havens for kids who play basketball, hockey, etc.

Good tips about the convenience stores, trees too close to the house, etc.

Old 12-20-2011, 03:49 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,332,226 times
I disagee with much that has been written here. First, why do you think your house has gone up in value in the last year? Most houses haven't. If you had it professionally appraised that's one thing, but if you think it's up because either Zillow or a real estate agent who wants to sell it told you, they're probably wrong. Second, don't stay away from older houses unless you just hate them. If well maintained and updated, they can be better than new. Third, rather than just finding an inspector who isn't the one your agent recommends, isn't it better to find an agent working in your best interest? A good agent is one who will care what you think after the sale, and will want you to recommend him to your friends. I've talked clients into cancelling the deal after the inspection.Sure, as an agent you want them to buy, but it needs to be the right house. The inspection is very important, and it's useful to find out beforehand what all the major things will be looked at. A lot of newer homes were just kind of mass produced cheaply and suffer from mold and systems that just don't last.

Old 12-20-2011, 10:46 PM

1,630 posts, read 3,882,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tac-Sea View Post
Lot's of good info. Another thing I've noticed is that dead ends seems to be havens for kids who play basketball, hockey, etc.

Good tips about the convenience stores, trees too close to the house, etc.
Yeah, you sure don't want kids outside playing in the fresh air when they can be indoors with their video games.

Old 12-20-2011, 11:09 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,584,652 times
Old houses have character, something new houses typically sorely lack.

That said, old houses in Seattle tend to be SMALL houses in Seattle. And, frankly, not all that well constructed. Very lax permit standards out here back in the day.

My requirements for a home I'd live in are as follows:

1) Requires a yard. And no, a 10x10 patch of grass isn't a yard
2) Has to be close enough to the highways to where it's not a pain to get to them, but not so close that I hear the semis blowing by
3) Should be directly on the water (negotiable). If on water, needs water rights.
4) Can NOT be within the city limits of Seattle and all the freaky ass stuff that gets legislated there
5) Must be within 5-7 minutes of a respectable grocery store
6) No universities nearby. Don't wanna be around the manchildren
7) No HoA's if I can avoid it. I don't need some lawn nazi pushing her vision of utopia on me
8) Has to have room for expansion. If I suddenly decide that I want an indoor swimming pool, I don't want to have to negotiate to buy the neighbor's lot and then demolish his house in order to make it happen.
9) Corner lots are worth more. Therefore, I prefer corner lots (though not mandatory, and my current home is not one)
10) If an old home, it has to be a [b]nice[/i] old home. If I have to hire a Bob Vila lookalike with Mike Holmes's skill to rebuild it, I'm OK with that, but it has to at least have been a quality build at one time.
11) Has to be in a good school district. People with kids like that sort of thing, which increases resale value
12) Ones with a story are always better. My current home, for example, used to be owned by a well known rock star. If I ever decide to sell it, I'm sure that will appeal to someone (so long as they are assured all the holes he put in the place when he owned it were properly spackled over ).
13) I'd avoid a house on a steep-incline hill. This area isn't the best about salting the roads after a winter storm, and ppl on hills tend to end up imprisoned for 2-3 days.

I tend to avoid anything that doesn't meet these criterium.

Old 12-21-2011, 12:55 AM

1,018 posts, read 3,379,682 times
avoid quadrant homes and the new home builders with a very small lot size and yard?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area