Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2007, 08:09 AM

4 posts, read 21,781 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am new to this forum so please bear with me. I am relocating from Washington, DC to Seattle. This move is taking place next month. I have been checking out apartments and have come across Neptune Apartments. The location is S. Lake Union, can anyone provide info regarding this area? I am bringing a car with me, is Seattle a driver friendly city? I will be working downtown on 3rd Ave and from the transit maps it appears that there is a bus that will make for an easy commute from the apartment complex to my office, is public transit a good way to go?

Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2007, 09:28 AM

77 posts, read 340,137 times
Welcome to Seattle. You'll find it quite different from D.C. in both positive and negative ways.

Is it driver friendly: While Seattle doesn't have anything that resembles the DC Metrorail, leaving people to rely on buses and cars, it's not, in my opinion, that driver-friendly. It's more of a pedestrian city. You'll also find bicyclists doing things here that people wouldn't dare try in D.C. Cyclists are becoming a more vocal group as well, so expect some pro-cycling laws in the reasonable future. Parking is comparable regarding price and availability, to D.C. The bus, as you mentioned, may be a good option for you -- I've never used it, so I can't vouche for how well the bus system is run here (on time, crowded or not, etc).

The way people drive: more courteous than D.C. by far, but also very expectant (some would say "entitled") of said courtesy from others. People tend to drive slower (under the speed limit), and yield even when they have the right of way.

Doesn't sound like you'll have to deal with the Interstate, but I-5 and I-405 tend to be slow crawl traffic; not just during a rush hour window, but congested to various degrees most of the day.

Old 08-30-2007, 10:57 AM

1,261 posts, read 6,104,940 times
We moved from DC to Seattle 4 years ago. I'm not familiar with that apartment complex, but if you are living and working in Seattle, you should be able to get around pretty easily by bus. Your commute by car shouldn't be too bad either if you are living and working in the city, but you'll have to consider parking availability at your workplace. Seattle doesn't have a subway system like DC, but the bus system is pretty reliable and less expensive than DC. I agree with Geometricdisaster that Seattle is predominantly a pedestrian city and there are bicyclists everywhere.

Old 08-30-2007, 12:31 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,240,802 times
I too moved here from D.C. Two totally different cities imo. Took me some getting use to at first but I love it here. Much more laid back with a much slower pace than D.C. Neptune apartments are on Dexter Avenue between highway 99 and Lake Union. They are very nice and pretty new. Hopefully you have one facing Lake Union. The views are awesome. Bus service is great and only a short distance to dt Seattle.

Old 08-30-2007, 08:07 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,240,802 times
Stephensong I just returned from from your Neptune apt. area and I have to say I do not recommend this place. It's indeed a short hop to dt Seattle but a sort of industrial area. Not many amenities within walking distance. For what you would be paying here there are so many other choices in much better areas of the city. Not a bad area, just an area in transition I guess. I did notice a deli in the bldg but thats it. There is a huge Courtyard Marriot in front of it facing Lake Union. All in all Neptune is nice and new and close to dt Seattle but for everyday living in a desireable neighborhood with lots of amenities close by, it is not. Most of your amenities will be a short drive though. Good luck.

Old 08-31-2007, 10:13 AM

77 posts, read 340,137 times
Awesome photography as always, pwright!

Your camera really captures Seattle well.

Old 08-31-2007, 11:05 AM

4 posts, read 21,781 times
Thanks for the info. The photos are great. I guess a six month lease just to have a local base should be okay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: