Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2011, 10:26 AM

1 posts, read 1,064 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am about to move to Washington State and have family that live in S.Everett, Lynnwood and in Bellevue. They all want me to move close to them but I need to choose an area that has good schools and will be safe to raise my son in as well as affordable. I am a newly divorced mother and about to start a whole new life and my biggest concern is my son and that he adjusts well. So in saying that, can anyone tell me which areas have the best schools that offer good educations? As far as a price range for rent, I would like to stay between $900-$1200 a month. I want to stay out of an apartment if at all possible. I'm looking at renting a 3 bdrm 2 bth townhouse or house. I work from home so traveling back and forth to a job isn't an issue.

Can anyone with children please give me your best advise. This is going to be a big move for us and needless to say I am very nervous about it. I don't want to make any stupid choices that effect my son in a negative manner as this will be a huge adjustment for him as well.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and give me your advise.

Sincerely,
Kiazer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2011, 12:10 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,350,760 times
Bellevue has the best schools, and best environment for a child growing up. But also the most expensive. I think you're going to end up having to decide on a trade-off between square footage and school system. There are a lot of similar threads already, so I suggest looking carefully thru those. Look for the posts by a real estate guy named 'Ira500'--he seems to know his stuff regarding school systems.

Old 12-28-2011, 01:30 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,701,211 times
You should take a look at Issaquah, just south of Bellevue. Very good schools, organized sports programs, very family oriented and would be really good for your kids. I don't know about the $900-1200 range, but if you look at Craig's list, you might find some rentals that will work. Take a drive around Issaquah and you'll see.

Old 12-28-2011, 03:38 PM

611 posts, read 1,204,354 times
If you don't mind being about 60 miles from your family - the Olympia area is a good choice. You can rent a nice duplex or townhouse for under $1000 still or even consider buying a small house with a payment within your monthly budget. Stay away from Lacey - the schools are not as good. The schools that feed into Olympia and Capital High Schools are all pretty nice. If you like a close knit school system, look at the Griffin school system in the Steamboat Island area. It will be a bit harder to find a rental there, but I can't imagine a safer area.
Good luck.

Old 12-28-2011, 03:56 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,862,944 times
The area that is pretty much equidistant to both S. Everett/Lynnwood and Bellevue would be in the Bothell area. The Northshore SD is a highly regarded school district. Do you want to be close to your family? I agree Olympia could very well be a good choice.

I think if you increase your budget of up to $1500/mo that your odds of finding a house/townhouse would be better.

Old 12-29-2011, 05:23 PM

195 posts, read 377,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
I think if you increase your budget of up to $1500/mo that your odds of finding a house/townhouse would be better.
For Bellevue, that seems about right. We didnt have long to look, and saw a few in the $1500-1750 range that were 2-3 bedrooms.

There were some new places opening up between Bellevue and Redmond, that were I think 2 bdrm townhouses for $16-something that looked awesome.

Old 12-29-2011, 07:02 PM

561 posts, read 1,179,763 times
I would also consider Shoreline, esp since it's only about 10 mi south of Everett. Shoreline is famous in this area for having exceptional schools - student are even issued a laptop for the school year. It's quieter than Seattle, but still relatively close.

You'll probably also have a better chance of finding housing in your price range. Make no mistake -a decent 3bdr dwelling in the $900-1200 range is going to be difficult to find anywhere in king county- but, you'll probably have about as good a chance in Shoreline as anywhere. Forget about Bellevue in that price range -there's no way-, but Issaquah might be a possibility.

Good luck.

Old 12-30-2011, 06:24 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,553 posts, read 81,067,970 times
Everyone is looking for good schools and affordable rent, unfortunately that is an extremely rare combination. The best schools are in the most expensive areas. One reason is that good schools raise the prices of housing as an area becomes more desirable. Another is that people with more money are generally more interested in a good education for their kids and contribute generously to fund raising to supplement what the state gives the district for things like materials, technology, and advanced programs. Here in Sammamish, for example, I remember on a "back to school night" when the PTSA had a "pass the hat" for the local elementary school of 400 kids, and raised $20,000. That was a school with a lot of Boeing and Microsoft employee kids.

Old 12-31-2011, 12:07 PM

615 posts, read 1,075,068 times
For your price range you will have to look at small places, 1-2 bedrooms w 1 bath.

Old 12-31-2011, 02:04 PM

1,830 posts, read 6,150,831 times
Having lived just west of Bellevue for 30+ years, yes, the schools are good. Redmond & Kirkland are other possibilities. I would not consider Shoreline as knew a couple people who lived there and it wasn't as safe. Would not want to drive on the freeway to Olympia, either--that's just too far from the areas you want to be close to and traffic is bad enough. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area