Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 11:01 PM

29,094 posts, read 25,994,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDPP View Post
I'm not in Seattle however ghetto is usually where you have low income housing, like 0 dollar rent because they have 0 dollar jobs. The people make it ghetto due to gang activity and the way they live, selling drugs, stealing, and robbing eachother due to the fact they have 0 dollar jobs.
What is "0 dollar rent" and "0 dollar jobs"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2012, 11:11 PM

359 posts, read 329,254 times
section 8 and unemployment respectively

Old 04-02-2012, 12:54 AM

5,002 posts, read 12,354,254 times
I grew up in Chicago and I considered that city to have ghettoes. Drug dealings by young teenagers, hoodlums running around in packs and shooting each other up, and substituting the gangs for family. Murders happen in Chicago to the tune of ~7 a day. The Chicago Tribune wanted to know just how bad it was and so they stayed there for a week (and nobody noticed or cared that some random people moved in to one of their public housing apartments). They recorded something like 7 gunshots a night and 4 drug dealings per day in broad daylight and many more at night. Some areas white people simply did NOT go into because if you did, you'd be jumped, raped, or if they were having a bad day, murdered.

That's hood from what I experienced growing up. I didn't live in the hood but did know some guys who went in there sometimes.

Seattle has nothing like that. Period.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:05 AM

259 posts, read 553,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDPP View Post
The people make it ghetto due to gang activity and the way they live, selling drugs, stealing, and robbing eachother due to the fact they have 0 dollar jobs. Also they don't take care of the property they live on because it's not there hard earned money that landed them roofs over there heads.
This is a very myopic veiw...these type of activities go on at all social economic levels.

Pride of ownership and caring people are all around. Poverty does not determine how one acts socially...your moral compass certainly does. Our society has been fraying for years on all levels of community.

Ghetto | Define Ghetto at Dictionary.com

When my family immigrated to the USA, the only areas that were affordable for my father, who by the way worked 3 jobs...may have been considered a ghetto. I remember the first place was an airstream trailer with no running water and most likely a porta potty of some sort. My mother cut a hole in the ice to get water to boil in order to cook, wash and bath with.

To the OP. Yes, there are places that are an eye sore. Just like every where in the world.

Old 04-02-2012, 11:51 AM

604 posts, read 1,520,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geography4me View Post
I dont know how to answer this question. What do you think? What makes a place Ghetto? Does Seattle Have a Ghetto? Where? Why?
Not in the east coast sense. But there are some more run down suburban areas that look like waste lands.

A few that come to mind are Puyallup, Fife, Sumner, Pacific, Parkland/Spanaway, Yelm, and most of east Pierce County.

Old 04-02-2012, 12:27 PM

1,108 posts, read 2,285,315 times
As someone who has lived in Oakland, I will say that Seattle does not have any true ghettos, as I think of them. That said, there are sections of the Central District, Rainier Valley, and Delridge that are quite sketchy and not exacly safe places to be.

In addition, there are some pretty trashy/sketchy areas along Aurora in North Seattle.

Old 04-02-2012, 03:50 PM

710 posts, read 1,397,123 times
What people consider 'ghetto' in Seattle literally made me LOL when some friends showed me.

Come down to Houston and visit some of the 'wards' and I'll show you a REAL ghetto...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
What is "0 dollar rent" and "0 dollar jobs"?
Maybe people on welfare? I have no clue either!

Old 04-02-2012, 10:31 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,571,809 times
Might not have the pysical structure that people would identify as a "ghetto".

But trust me on this one, there are plenty of "GHETTO" people in Seattleadelphia.

Wait for the summer heat to come, you will see plenty of fun this year.

Old 04-02-2012, 11:02 PM

3,352 posts, read 6,660,385 times
I lived just outside D.C. for nearly seven years, and I spent many weekends in Chicago growing up. My wife and her mom are from suburban Detroit. I know what ghettoes look like. Seattle has nothing even remotely resembling one. A few run-down patches in some lower-class neighborhoods, but nothing awful. I can see how someone from out east would laugh at what are considered ghettos around here.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:15 PM

20 posts, read 87,971 times
"ghetto" areas of WA would be halfway decent placers back in FL.

people here have no idea
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area