Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 05:19 PM

4 posts, read 5,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrman78 View Post
Same boat as me, although I have a science/tech background, but not programming, etc. I've just saved for the past few years and just up and moving in April. Exciting, but scary, but I have to do it! I know a couple of people there now, so that helps. As far as a job goes, if I get one before April, then great, but I'm not counting on it. Seattle is the only city other than Denver I have ever got callbacks, and they usually result in phone interviews and nothing more. However, I figure if the interest is there out of state, then the move will probably make me more appealing
I decided to do precisely the same thing too! (though my final deadline is more like May or June, since my car's lease is up in June) But for sure, I don't want to spend another sweltering summer here in So Cal. =__=

How much are you saving up to bring to Seattle, if you don't mind my asking? I don't have much of a savings atm, but should be able to save quite a bit in the coming months now that Christmas and a few necessary medical things are out of the way. But I'm not sure what's a good amount that can sustain me for a few months while I do try to hunt for a job up there.

Also, does anyone know if it's hard to get an apartment if I don't already have employment when I arrive up there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2012, 09:23 PM

145 posts, read 265,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcrest View Post
I decided to do precisely the same thing too! (though my final deadline is more like May or June, since my car's lease is up in June) But for sure, I don't want to spend another sweltering summer here in So Cal. =__=

How much are you saving up to bring to Seattle, if you don't mind my asking? I don't have much of a savings atm, but should be able to save quite a bit in the coming months now that Christmas and a few necessary medical things are out of the way. But I'm not sure what's a good amount that can sustain me for a few months while I do try to hunt for a job up there.

Also, does anyone know if it's hard to get an apartment if I don't already have employment when I arrive up there?
I would never rent to someone without employment or a steady income. Unless they could pay their lease up front.

Find a room for rent, save up 4-6 months of expenses. If I had 5k in my pocket, I'd move to Seattle tomorrow.

Old 01-12-2012, 01:35 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,163,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west seattle gal View Post
Hi. I love many, many things about Seattle, and will probably end up living here for the rest of my life. However, after having another child I've had this nagging urge to look at my options.

Things my husband and I LOVE about Seattle:
liberal, educated populace
views/nature
outdoors activities
family friendly (lots activities, museums, parks, etc... for kids)
dog parks, coffee shops, bookstores, independent shops, neighborhoods, etc...
low crime
religion is a private matter
lots of jobs
good local university

What we're MISSING:
proximity to East Coast (history, culture, family)
good public transportation (light rail, subway, etc..)
cheaper housing
fewer clouds

I used to live in Chapel Hill, NC and near Asheville, so am aware of those cities. Would anyone on these boards have other suggestions based on your direct experience?

Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arushan View Post
There are probably no cities in the US that have both good transit and cheap housing. You might have to find some sort of medium.

Maybe...Minneapolis? It's not east coast though.
Two smaller cities that fit most of your criteria: Syracuse NY, and Ithica NY.

Syracuse has good public transportation, and I think maybe Ithaca does too, considering all the students. Both have much cheaper housing than Seattle though iirc property taxes are high. Both have low crime rates.

Ithaca is prettier, more highly educated, and liberal. Probably Syracuse has a better airport to connect you to other cities. Syracuse has more rabid basketball fans.

Old 01-12-2012, 01:41 AM

Also Burlington VT, and Portland ME, though that's hearsay, I've never been to either.

Old 01-12-2012, 11:01 AM

4,242 posts, read 8,774,733 times
Providence, RI, although I'd do more research about the crime.

Also the Boston area if you're looking for something bigger.

Ithaca if you're looking for a tiny, isolated city. Its a lot like Chapel Hill...without the Durham and Raleigh nearby for variety. I wouldn't recommend Syracuse unless you're looking for something more Detroit like.

Old 01-12-2012, 07:01 PM

1,599 posts, read 3,133,468 times
Quote:
Hi. I love many, many things about Seattle, and will probably end up living here for the rest of my life. However, after having another child I've had this nagging urge to look at my options.

views/nature
outdoors activities
low crime
lots of jobs
good local university

What we're MISSING:
cheaper housing
fewer clouds

I used to live in Chapel Hill, NC and near Asheville, so am aware of those cities. Would anyone on these boards have other suggestions based on your direct experience?

Thanks!
I've always considered Vancouver BC a notch or three above Seattle. Tacoma maybe a notch below Seatte and Portland OR a notch below Tacoma.

Old 01-12-2012, 07:25 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,525,805 times
I get you on Vancouver, (AMAZING transit), but I'm betting the OP was looking for places in the United States, and that city sure ain't affordable or East Coast! In the Eastern US, I'd think Pittsburgh might be a decent fit. It hits most of the points, there's some beautiful forests around Pittsburgh, but it's population is more working class than Seattle's. Still, cheap housing. I'd say it's certainly worth researching further I hear it's a good city that's making a come back.

Old 01-12-2012, 08:18 PM

84 posts, read 289,422 times
Seattle in on the water. So, you need to look at the cities on the coast. It doesn't leave you with alot of options for coastal cities comparable to Seattle. I would tell you that there are none. I've seen many cities. There just isn't anything like Seattle.

Old 01-12-2012, 11:56 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,359,565 times
Mmmm ... I would say Chicago probably checks a lot of those boxes except natural beauty. It's a big city that's closer to the east coast and has excellent mass transit options and cheap(er) housing. And there's more sun.

Crime really isn't that big an issue if you just figure out which neighborhoods to avoid, and what to look for (lately it's large mobs of black youths who are flash-mobbing areas and basically ransacking a place, then casually walking away).

The downsides are the max/min temperatures for the year are more extreme, you get snow, and there's 10 million people living in the metro area. Not sure if that's a bad thing for you or not.

Old 01-13-2012, 06:28 PM

Quote:

views/nature
outdoors activities
low crime
lots of jobs
good local university

What we're MISSING:
cheaper housing
fewer clouds

Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
Providence, RI, although I'd do more research about the crime.

Also the Boston area if you're looking for something bigger.

Ithaca if you're looking for a tiny, isolated city. Its a lot like Chapel Hill...without the Durham and Raleigh nearby for variety. I wouldn't recommend Syracuse unless you're looking for something more Detroit like.
Providence has a MUCH higher than average crime rate, and Boston housing is more expensive than Seattle's ....... those are two points on her list, while she didn't say anything about the size of the city. Both Ithaca (Cornell University and wine country) and Syracuse (Syracuse University and Adirondacks) meet all of her criteria, including a relatively low crime rate for Syracuse (especially compared to Detroit), and a very low crime rate for Ithaca.

Personally I'd prefer Ithaca, it has the strong cultural influence from an Ivy League university, plus lots of countryside and natural beauty around it.

Ithaca:

Nearby Watkins Glen, on the outskirts of the Finger Lakes wine region:

Last edited by Woof; 01-13-2012 at 06:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area