Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2007, 10:03 PM

3 posts, read 32,147 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am new to this website, but wanted to find out info regarding moving my 21-year-old son to the Seattle area. He is looking into a small aviation college in Auburn (Northwest Aviation College) and therefore we would like to find him a small apartment nearby - Auburn, Kent, or Federal Way maybe. Is the crime really as bad as I am hearing? We currently live in the Reno-Lake Tahoe area in a very nice neighborhood (we don't have a lot of $) but bought an older house that was very run down, so we were able to afford a nicer neighborhood. At any rate, I am worried because my son is a very intelligent young man, but doesn't excel in social skills or street sense. He's lead a somewhat sheltered life, so I would really feel better if I knew he was in a safer neighborhood. Any thoughts!? Thanks so much.

Last edited by scirocco22; 09-04-2007 at 02:35 AM.. Reason: Edited title to hopefully get more responses ...Auburn is considered south King county
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2007, 07:46 AM

2 posts, read 13,118 times
Default South County Neighborhoods

Federal Way is the better bet. In terms of violent crime, FW has the lowest per capita violent crime rate of the large So. County cities (3.7 per 1000; Auburn's is 5.6 per; kent is 5.6 per, as well). I've lived in FW all my life and it's a very nice place to be.

Of course, there are neighborhoods and apartments that are better than others.

I suggest contacting the Federal Way Police Department to find out which
apartments are better than others. In the past, they've been really helpful with people who've had similar questions. Google city of Federal Way to get to their website and you can locate the police department contact info there. Good luck!

Old 11-18-2007, 06:00 PM

Thanks so much! I really appreciate your response

Old 11-18-2007, 06:06 PM

Whoops, sent off my response before I was done! Good ideas about checking with the police department. I will do that. I've heard good things about Federal Way ... Renton was another option. I suppose I can also check with the police department there. Appreciate your reply!

Old 11-18-2007, 08:39 PM

305 posts, read 1,606,540 times
Federal Way and Auburn are connected by highway 18 which literally is a nightmare to drive at certain times of the day, so beware of that. Federal Way is nicer than Auburn and Kent, overall but Federal Way is much pricier. There are some pretty nice areas of Auburn though. Another place to think about would be the algona-pacific cities, located just south of Auburn off of highway 167. Heading north to auburn in the morning can be a bear, but it's really close and there are back roads. Algona-Pacific are new little communities and are filled with young couples and families who are buying their first homes because they can't afford Seattle prices. Definately check it out, probably a lot safer than the auburn/kent area in your price range.

Old 11-19-2007, 04:59 AM

97 posts, read 426,346 times
Auburn isn't all that bad if he finds a place in the hills like Lakeland Hills. To the South right next to Auburn is one of the safest as far as the crimes you are afraid of and perhaps most boring small cities; Sumner. Its a quick commute, cheap, and well sort of boring. A commute from Puyallup wouldn't be unreasonable either. West part of Federal Way known as the Twin Lakes area is very nice too but the rest of Federal Way is a high density housing and commercial nightmare. I'd seriously consider commuting from North Pierce County before resorting to South King County.

But again when it comes to crime in these areas its a lot of drug use if not rape incidents. I'd say that generally crime in W. Washington is based off of something relating to the drug trade as the area is a major trail for distribution from Canada and well the area has one of the highest meth labs per capita in the Country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area