Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 03:16 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,638,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
If you think AUSTIN is conservative, then the only cities in this entire country you will be able to tolerate are San Francisco and Portland.

And I hate to break it to you, but if you're looking to escape successful people who drive nice cars....this probably isn't a good place for you on that front, either. We've got a loooooot of tech money up here.

All I'll say is if you do move up to this area, just be sure you pick someplace within the borders of the city of Seattle itself, because it's the only extreme-liberal spot in the entire area - once you start getting out into the suburbs, it becomes a bit more independent, which is something you aren't down with since you consider Austin to activist to the right.
I couldn't agree more

Reading the first post... I immediately thought Portland to be a better fit and San Francisco the best fit if money is no object...

As to Washington proper... have you thought about Olympia?

Always seems more liberal than Seattle in my mind...

I know 4 families that moved to Austin... so far, none have talked about coming back... sure they miss things... three had jobs waiting and the other had family there.

Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2012, 03:24 PM

710 posts, read 1,397,123 times
Hurrah to getting out of Texas! I'm getting out of Houston in April. Seattle has always been my #1 choice, I just never had the balls to just go. Now, I just can't bear to live here anymore, so the risk in this economy is worth it just to be sane

Old 01-22-2012, 03:25 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,546 posts, read 81,067,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
And like Seacove said, there isn't a huge display of wealth here, even though there a plenty of people with money. That scruffy looking guy with his shirt buttoned wrong could be worth hundreds of millions of dollars. He just didn't acquire his wealth in the fashion industry.
I remember a few years ago when a multi-millionaire dressed in sweatpants tank top and sneakers walked into a dealer to buy a Lamborghini, and the sales staff ignored him (in Bellevue). He walked out and went elsewhere to
spend his $240,000.

Old 01-22-2012, 03:26 PM

1,630 posts, read 3,882,117 times
OP - No one else has asked so I will - how did 27 houses burn down in your Austin neighborhood?

Old 01-22-2012, 03:28 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,413,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobester View Post
OP - No one else has asked so I will - how did 27 houses burn down in your Austin neighborhood?
Probably the wildfires last year.

Old 01-22-2012, 03:44 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,583,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobester View Post
Austin has been in a drought spanning a couple of decades now.

Back to the OP....I know the suburbs of Austin well. Lived in Westlake, had friends everywhere from Round Rock to New Braunfels and everywhere in between. Yes, there are some parts of the region that are a little less liberal, but compared to most of the country, not even remotely conservative. More independent than anything. Which is the same with anything outside the borders of Seattle. Again, all I'm saying is if your idea of conservative is, say, Cedar Park or Georgetown, you are politically on the extreme fringes of the left, and this area might not be your best fit. It's not that we don't have left extremists (Seacove right in this very thread fits into that mold), it's just that politically speaking, this area is very, VERY similar to Austin in terms of make-up, save for the fact that Austin is more of a do your own thing sort of liberal whereas Seattle has some more activists that try to force everybody into their mold.

Old 01-22-2012, 03:51 PM

11 posts, read 13,612 times
Seacove, thanks! I just have had a little bad luck with some Cali neighbors. I'm really good friends with them and get along fine of course but they are just so intense and pretentious. Is this a cultural thing or maybe just a few bad seeds here? I haven't spent much time in California itself except for LA and Hollywood. My husband travels to San Francisco once a month and loves it but it is not an option for us because of the $$. We would love to have an older home but do understand we will have to make substantial sacrifices moving from Texas to Seattle.
Why moving away from God's country you ask? I guess I have truly just started looking on life with open eyes for the first time a few years ago. We left a certain religion as a family that we were raised in and oh lord our family and friends won't leave us alone about it. We just want to get away from everyone recruiting us to the local megachurch. I truly could care less if or where people go to church as long as they will really just leave us alone. My mom preaches me to repentance, my in-laws try to brainwash our kids, and we get slammed for not saying grace. My sis-in-law tells me, "god still loves you". I can really laugh it off and be tough but don't like the thought of people treating my kids differently. Tired of hearing me talk? Me too. I am wanting to get rid of the negativity just as much as I am sure someone reading this is ready for me to shut up about it!
Ultrarunner, thanks for suggesting Olympia. I will look into it!

MrMan78, good for you! Best of luck with your move and getting out of Houston! Why have you decided to move and why is Seattle your #1?

Tobester, our area has been in a serious drought. Before December of 2011, we had had one rainfall last March all year! The wildfires took many homes in our neighborhood. The churches did do so much good though for the victims and I don't want to sound so negative but I am just trying to be honest about why I want to move. If I sugar coat things, then I will likely end up again in the wrong place. Off to research all of these suggested neighborhoods!

Old 01-22-2012, 04:03 PM

11 posts, read 13,612 times
Ultrarunner, oh and in regards to Portland I can't get over the income tax. I am self employed and really don't like the idea of parting with such a big chunk of my income. Also, my husband's job does have an office in Seattle so it is an easier move for us. He does work from home but no permission has to be asked if we go where there is already an office.

Old 01-22-2012, 04:09 PM

1,930 posts, read 6,532,477 times
Well guessing you are moving here from Steiner Ranch then? Yes, former Austinite here. I actually loved living in Austin but I'm a Christian so maybe I was not offended by those folks? Though plenty of my neighbors in Circle C had never set foot in a church. There are more Christians in Seattle than people would ever imagine but it's not ingrained in the culture. Austin is liberal for TX but compared to say Boulder, Portland, Berkeley, Seattle, not so much. Your avg Seattleite would be sick over the general lack of intent to recycle in Austin. LOL. Interestingly enough on the religion, I have had the opposite treatment here (like, you loser...you GO to church?) but for the most part people don't really care if you go to church or not. In fact it's refreshing. There's no pressure to go so the people that are there are very authentic in their faith. Jesus didn't hang out with the "perfect" people so it's unfortunate that many Christians can give off that "perfect" vibe and I am sorry you were treated poorly. Humility is a very important quality. And for anyone to bash anyone else's religion is a sad thing so "let your words slay no one" to quote a song by Jewel that I like.

I think you will find all kinds of people wherever you go and Seattle is no exception as others have explained in terms of materiality. You won't be escaping judgement or competitive parenting - that's just what you get from humanity IMO. But, it is a beautiful place to live with a great variety of things to do in the outdoors which I enjoy a lot. We did every hike in the Austin area too many times to count and we've been here for almost five years and it will take another five to hike all the places on our hit list. The skiing, the boating, the wildlife. Amazing. For us, it's been fun living in very different places. Gives you fresh perspective on life when you move and I think it's a great place to raise kids. It has a real international feel.

We do live on the Eastside but our first priorities were schools and then proximity to nature. Honestly I have plenty of chicken raising, liberal neighbors even out in Sammamish and I enjoy them! There are some conservative folks and liberal folks and people just kind of rally around their commonalities in the community like their schools, etc. It sounds like renting and getting a feel for the area is a good idea for you as long as your kids don't mind possibly changing schools, friends, etc. You pay an excise tax in King County when you move that's hefty so buying and selling is not as easy to do as it is in TX.

Welcome to WA. I hope you find what you're looking for. You will possibly miss Tex Mex and BBQ but the Asian and Seafood is fantastic! And sometimes getting away from family can help us appreciate the good things about them so it's great to move in that regard!! I speak from experience!

Last edited by texastrigirl; 01-22-2012 at 04:22 PM..

Old 01-22-2012, 04:09 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,862,944 times
I actually don't think Olympia to be *very* liberal. Politically speaking, it's a bit more balanced. It's just unfortunate that its slammed with an extremist liberal rep due to Evergreen State College and the mere presence of the state capitol. It is however, a very beautiful place (I love the DT core), small town, very family-oriented, great schools and naturally much more wetter than Seattle (more rain).

I know one thing, a definite major plus for WA, for sure... less property taxes.

Like everyone else and I been saying: Church/religion is a non-issue here. Now you need to get down with a list of what your wants. Because no one actually knows what you're looking for, other than the basics (schools, budget, et. c). Suburbs, or urban? Since your husband has an office in Seattle-- where exactly and will he be commuting (so how traffic is he willing to bear... Cars vs public transport). Closer to the water, or the mountains? Live close to the DT core, or away (are you the type of person who only hangs in DT during weekend)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area