U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2012, 09:33 AM

54 posts, read 268,104 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I have never been to Seattle but have always admired the city. I was hoping to move but know nothing about neighborhoods, prices, etc. I am in my mid 20's, single, and just looking for an apartment in a nice neighborhood. Access to public transit would be nice (we have light rail in mpls, not sure how it works out there?), money isn't much of an issue, I have lived downtown here, and while we don't have much of a downtown life (after work is out for example, the skyway system here (the tunnels above ground to shield us from the winter have tons of restaurants and convenience stores, but they close when people go home from work, so they're basically worthless half the time), is your downtown similar or do you have more people and businesses/stores for people?

Also, here we have a ton of suburban commuters. For example, Minneapolis as a city has 385k people, but as a metro area has 4 million. Is that the case there?

Any basic neighborhood info would be greatly appreciated, pricing, job opportunities in the areas and general information you think someone that has yet to visit would benefit from would be great.

Also: I work in business to business sales. So I can work at most places that need sales people, which is most companies. So, I can be flexible.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 12:13 PM

7,760 posts, read 15,088,976 times
We have lots of threads for you to check out. Please look it through.

But I'll answer some:

Access to public transit would be nice (we have light rail in mpls, not sure how it works out there?)

We do have light rail. At this time, its only from the airport to DT. They will finish up the link from DT (Capitol Hill) to the U-District "soon" and construction to the Eastside will start in some time. Otherwise, lots of buses, which are very good. Within Seattle, half the buses will use the surface, the other will be in the tunnels. We also have the street car which takes you from DT to South Lake Union (there are other streetcars, but I have no idea if they're in operation). Monorail is a tourist thing-- so residents rarely really uses that. Also the Sounder Commuter heavy rail train-- a commuter train for residents North and South of Seattle can use.

while we don't have much of a downtown life (after work is out for example, the skyway system here (the tunnels above ground to shield us from the winter have tons of restaurants and convenience stores, but they close when people go home from work, so they're basically worthless half the time), is your downtown similar or do you have more people and businesses/stores for people?

Seattle DT can be almost dead past 7, but there's still enough businesses and people around doing stuff. We have theatres, clubs, et. c so it's not completely dead, but it won't be as crowded in the daytime.

I can think of only one Skyway right now... that's in Westlake Center (Nordstrom). I never used it... don't really see it being used that often, but I think it's employees only (?). We don't really have that sort of thing here. People just walk here... its only mist. (Though we do have times when it actually does downpour, which then umbrellas are useless because the wind will blow it apart.)

Also, here we have a ton of suburban commuters. For example, Minneapolis as a city has 385k people, but as a metro area has 4 million. Is that the case there?

Definitely lots of suburban commuters, but they don't only go to Seattle DT area. Its actually spread out. Bellevue area is also where lots of commuters will go to as well (Think MS). I believe population within Seattle Proper is closer to 600K, and we have metro area of around 4.1 million.

Old 01-24-2012, 05:15 PM

159 posts, read 600,047 times
I've lived in both Seattle and the Twin Cities, and I'll try to answer some of your questions.

Seattle is definitely more expensive than Minneapolis. But, salaries also tend to be higher. When you say "nice neighborhood," what do you mean? What kind of neighborhood are you looking for? There are tons of nice areas in Seattle.

Public transit tends to be great if you need to get downtown, but it's kind of hit or miss otherwise. I've found the transit system to be more accessible in Seattle than in the Twin Cities, though. It just depends on where you live and where you're going. It's mostly buses, but as Inkpoe mentioned, light rail will be expanded at some point.

The actual downtown core kind of dies down after the end of the business day, but you might like the areas north and east of downtown (Belltown, which is pretty much downtown, lower Queen Anne, and Capitol Hill). Lots of nightlife, restaurants, etc., and all within walking distance of downtown. Seattle is livelier than Minneapolis.

You'll find suburban commuters in any metro area. Without looking at any actual numbers, from what I recall, Seattle itself has a population roughly equal to that of Minneapolis and St. Paul combined, and the metro areas are about the same size. That said, Seattle feels more urban to me, probably because there's one big city instead of two smaller cities. And as for commuting, people come to Seattle from all over the metro area, and people in Seattle also commute to other areas (especially the Eastside, as Inkpoe said).

Old 01-28-2012, 01:14 PM

685 posts, read 884,449 times
Belltown is okay for nightlife, but rents are very high in the area and it's not a great community for finding day to day resources. In the last few years, the bars down there have seen an increase in late night crime, as well.

Queen Anne is a nice neighborhood, but rents will also be pretty high and this is not the most popular area for young single people.

Ballard, Fremont, Wallingford (University District) and Capital Hill are your best bets. They are all great neighborhoods with more reasonable rents, lots of restaurants, movie theaters, bars, clubs and shopping - very walkable. They all have pretty good bus service.

If possible, I would suggest spending some time here before you make a permanent move. Seattle is a beautiful, vibrant city, but you'll want to see if the constant overcast sky and lack of sunshine is something you can handle.

Good Luck!

Old 04-08-2012, 10:01 AM

7 posts, read 16,202 times
Check out Belltown, Fremont, or Ballard. They are very cool. We have buses, but not much in the way of public transport (It sucks, I know). Seattle has alot of suburban dwellers to due to the high prices of homes and stuff. For something more city oriented, look at Portland, Oregon (though it's hard to find a job in OR).

Old 04-08-2012, 06:46 PM

3,970 posts, read 13,057,565 times
Light rail is coming along, but so far the only route completed is downtown through Beacon Hill and the Rainier district to Sea-Tac. In the next few years we will see a northbound route through Capital Hill, the U-District, and Roosevelt, eventually to Northgate. It is a slow process, but eventually the light rail should reach Lynnwood and the eastside. May be another decade, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area