Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 10:59 AM

1,677 posts, read 6,850,813 times

Advertisements

Since we'll be moving back up to Washington soon, I wanted to find out if there are places where we can take our kids to do their favorite things.

My daughter loves horses. She sits a pony as if it were her life's calling. We have a big regional park near us where it costs $4 to ride a pony. We go almost every other weekend.

There's also a little train that travels around the park, and my son loves riding that.

So, I'm wondering if there are places where we can take my daughter to ride ponies and some place with a little train for my son.

Also, we have a really awesome children's museum that is like a little city (there's a grocery store, restaurant, doctor's office, post office, construction site, farm, doctor's office, beach, etc.). It's really fun for the kids.

So, I'm just wondering where in the general Seattle area that might have places like this.

Thanks!

V. =)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 11:34 AM

1,630 posts, read 3,882,419 times
You obviously live somewhere where outside activities can go on year round. It's rainy, gray, and chilly here most of the year. I can't think of any year round pony rides, train rides. Guessing that only happens during county fair season.

We do have a children's museum however in the lower level of the Center House at Seattle Center.

Old 01-24-2012, 11:38 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,864,026 times
I know Maple Valley and Woodinville have the horse stables, and some of them do offer horse riding lessons. But since you're asking for pony: Pony Paradise Rides

As for trains, the only 2 that I know of has the train rides are in Bothell's Country Village Mall-- which is pretty quirky and cool (but small): www.countryvillagebothell.com There is also Remlingers Farm in Carnation-- also a cool place, plus it has a farmer's market... only downside $$$-- but its definitely a place to check out once. Remlinger Farm and Family Fun Park, birthday parties, train rides and amusement park, Carnation, Washington Do check if they're still running the trains, it may either be seasonal or on a limited schedule. Also definitely go to Snoqualmie to check out old trains. In the summer time, Thomas the Train will stop by for a visit.

Puyallup Fair comes up in September... got the train rides and ponies for the little kiddies.

Children's Museums: Seattle Center, Factoria (which also have tot sections and lots of water features) and the one in Everett.

ETA: A couple good resources that I used to use a lot: Seattle Mama's Handbook by Julianne Rowley. I'd recommend it and you can now get it on Amazon for cheap. You also have the free resources too like www.ParentMap.com (they tend to publish magazines that's all about raising children and doing it in Seattle)-- ParentMap also lets you know all the children-related activities that are going on.

Last edited by Inkpoe; 01-24-2012 at 11:49 AM..

Old 01-24-2012, 02:31 PM

Thanks!

I wasn't sure if things would be year round or not, because it seems like the drizzle doesn't really stop people from doing stuff outside.

When we lived in Issaquah before, the kids weren't really big enough for that kind of stuff, so I hadn't really discovered any of it. Will definitely check out all those places.

I'd rep you, Inkpoe, but I've already rep'd you recently.

V. =)

Old 01-24-2012, 03:04 PM

19 posts, read 60,076 times
Remlinger is Great. My kids love those rides and the train. We buy a summer pass for the kids. Fox Hollow Frams in Issaquah has a train too. Lots of fun! The Seattle children's museum is fantastic. I do not care for kids quest in factoria, but it's nice to go on a rainy day. The Everett children's museum is really fantastic. Another great park to go to is in Redmond and it has farm Animals. It's called McWhirther park. Farrel-McWhirter Farm Park - City of Redmond

The Seattle aquarium is fun for kids. Not big or grand like the Monterey bay one, but it's nice. We also go to the woodland park zoo in Seattle and there is an indoor play area. Point defiance zoo in Tacoma is great. We also go to NW trek and they have a tram that takes you around to see the animals, I believe it is 50 minute ride. This however, is a 90 minute drive. There is a fantastic park in Bellevue during the summer that has a splash pad, big with whales the kids can climb on. I think it's called Crossroads park. Volunteer park on Capitol Hill has a large wading pool which is so much in the summer.

That's all I can think of now.

Old 01-24-2012, 03:55 PM

Thank you! Those all sound great!! We took the kids to the aquarium and Point Defiance before we left, but we haven't tried Woodland Park yet.

Thanks, again!

V. =)

Old 01-26-2012, 08:12 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,368,771 times
My daughter went to a party at this place in Woodinville - a bit more pricey than $4, but my daughter loved it: Pony Paradise Rides

I concur about Remlinger - good amusement rides for the younger set. There are also full-sized trains to ride and I think that they are all year-round. There's the Northwest Rail Museum in Snoqualmie, the logging train at Camp 9 in Point Defiance Park, the Mount Rainier Scenic Railroad, and several others. There are also light rail and trolleys in Seattle - take a train in to downtown and explore the Market or see a show or movie.

The Imagine Children's Museum in Everett is the best in the area, hands down.

A great rainy day activity is the inflatable play area at Arena Sports at Magnuson Park. Great way to get your kids worn out on days when they have cabin fever.

Also, when the weather is better, rent a canoe at the UW boathouse and explore the arboretum

Old 01-26-2012, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean98125 View Post
My daughter went to a party at this place in Woodinville - a bit more pricey than $4, but my daughter loved it: Pony Paradise Rides
Oh thank you! This is perfect!! We just rented a pony for her third birthday in December. She loved it. And $30 for a 30 minute ride isn't too bad, considering the $4 ride lasts maybe 5 minutes.

V. =)

Old 01-30-2012, 01:40 AM

1,950 posts, read 3,525,630 times
1. Trains
Snoqualmie:
NRM_Home_Page
Day Out With Thomas
Santa Train
Whistle Stop Birthay Party

Near Bellingham:
Lake Whatcom Railway -- a train ride in Wickersham, Washington

Bellingham also has a very cool model train layout, which kids can operate:
Bellingham Railway Museum

We also have model train festivals at the Pacific Science Center, Tacoma, and other neighboring towns throughout the year (search internet). And then of course, there are all kinds of real train rides w/ Amtrak to tour the PNW. And don't forget riding Seattle's monorail, which little kids love.

2. Kids' museums (just a few of the MANY in our area)
Home | The Children's Museum, Seattle
Pacific Science Center (they have train rides and model trains in the summer)
Imagine Children's Museum > Tour the Museum (just like the one you describe; very fun!)
KidsQuest Children's Museum

3) other cool places: (just a sampling of THOUSANDS of kid places in the Seattle area)
Seattle Parks & Recreation - Toddler Indoor Play Areas (every neighborhood has a play room)
Tot Spot Cafe
Orange Blossom Society
Seattle Gymnastics Academy | Indoor Playground in Lake City for Toddlers and Kids
Youth Programs « Vertical World (starts age 3, just one of countless climbing gyms)
Home - Lynnwood Bowl and Skate
Sky High Sports | Trampoline Park Seattle/Bellevue | Trampoline Fun Center Seattle/Bellevue, WA (my friend took her 2yo today)
Pump It Up | Kids Birthday Party | Indoor | Inflatable | Jumping Party | Children's Bounce Party
The Moon Paper Tent | Home (lots of events, not just theater)
Northwest Puppet Center: Home
Thistle Theatre: A Puppet Theatre for Families
http://www.sct.org/Index.aspx
Welcome to Zoomazium at Woodland Park Zoo - Woodland Park Zoo, Seattle, WA (zoomazium is a really cool play space)
Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium > Kids' Zone (http://www.pdza.org/page.php?id=281 - broken link) (kids' zone at point defiance zoo is great in summer)
Highland Ice Arena | Shoreline, WA
Pick a Location

....OK, that's it's getting late, but wanted to show you a few of the options around here. Just the tip of the ice berg, though. This place is a kid mecca, truly a great place to be raised. In addition to all the year long festivals, community activities, classes you can w/ your kids, play areas, farms, museums, short ferry trips, outdoor activities, etc..., check out the calendar and business listings on in these publications:

Seattle Activities for Kids, Parenting Articles and Resources - ParentMap
http://www.redtri.com/seattle

Welcome back home!

Old 01-30-2012, 07:56 AM

Thank you, West Seattle Gal! It looks like we're going to have plenty to do!! Can't wait to get back up there!

V. =)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area