Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 11:15 PM

5 posts, read 12,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinylly View Post
As a writer, you should read the detective novals by Earl Emerson and his Seattle slouth, Thomas Black. As a Seattle fireman and writer, he knows first hand where all the worst hangouts and places in Seattle are as detective Black crawls all through them seeking clues to the worst diabolical crimes.:ee k:
I will look for his work. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2012, 11:24 PM

5 posts, read 12,384 times
Thanks for all the great info. Can someone give me some detail about White Center? How urban is it? What are the streets and homes like? Are there lots of trees, buildings piled on top of each other or are they well spaced? How would you describe the area?

Old 02-28-2012, 05:01 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,516,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsherN View Post
Thanks for all the great info. Can someone give me some detail about White Center? How urban is it? What are the streets and homes like? Are there lots of trees, buildings piled on top of each other or are they well spaced? How would you describe the area?
Let me google that for you

It isn't really a very dense area.

Old 02-28-2012, 02:07 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,342,201 times
"Downtown" White center is several blocks. 1950's buildings. 16th Southwest is the main drag. There's trees all over, but on the main drags. What's startling is it's ethnic diversity. Mexican tacquerias next to Cambodian soup places next to African American BBQ joints. As far as density of it's population, a little less dense than the city of Seattle as a whole. There is gang activity in White Center, and some people feel uncomfortable there at night, but the main drag is pretty vibrant. White Center is getting gentrified, with a gourmet pizza place, a pie bakery, an espresso cafe or two, a home made ice cream joint. But it is unincorporated King County, between Seattle and Burien, and people think they can get away with a little more in the unincorporated areas. They are patrolled by the King County sheriff's office, and they're pretty stretched thin. Compared to bad areas in places like NYC or NJ or Detroit or DC or Philly, it's almost laughable that people consider White Center really bad. But crime is a little higher, and people are poorer.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:12 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,360,632 times
There's been a higher than average whack rate this year downtown, mostly around the clubs.

A blogger who I follow has listed the things that she's seen outside her bus window on her morning commute at third and Pine. First was an open air drug deal. Second was projectile vomit. Third was a guy peeing in an entryway to a building.

Yeah. Downtown itself has some seedy segments, on the whole though it is pretty normal in a high density way normal (more people = more crime).

Old 03-02-2012, 12:35 AM

84 posts, read 245,780 times
I don't know if anyone has said this one yet but Bremerton is kind of the armpit of the Seattle area. You have to take a ferry to get there but it's 14 or so miles from the emerald city. The houses are falling apart and most of the people are disabled and overweight. Living off the government. Lots of tweakers too.

Old 03-10-2012, 01:40 PM

49 posts, read 146,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
The area around the Westlake Transit Center is currently one of the worst in Seattle for crime. Just walk through there any afternoon as I do daily (don't hang around there at night). Pine street between 1st and 4th, either side of the street.

Is this post for real? Only somebody from Seattle would make a statement like this...people here are known for being terrified by a corner with two homeless people on it.

I work down here, and wait for a bus and/or take the train between 11 am and 1 am five days per week, and haven't seen anything that would make me afraid of this area in the least bit. Not once. Nothing. No prostitutes, no (visible) drug issues, no violence. The only I have seen in this area are panhandlers.

Also, I would love to see any articles and/or numbers that support your idea of "the area around Westlake Transit Center" currently being the worst in Seattle for crime. The idea is laughable, to say the least.

Old 03-10-2012, 01:46 PM

49 posts, read 146,469 times
Of these 4, only 1 article is from within the last year...

Old 03-12-2012, 05:24 AM

84 posts, read 245,780 times
I work night downtown, and yes there are some areas you want to avoid. But overall it's pretty safe. Most of the danger involves groups of drunk guys leaving the bars. I try to avoid walking by myself. It's not gang infested or anything like that, it just has the normal dangers of a big city, like I imagine NYC would have in some areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area