Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2012, 11:51 PM

1 posts, read 963 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone!

So I am thinking about a move out to the Seattle Area in Early June of this year, and I would like to get some opinions on some things.

I'm just about done with my undergraduate degree at the University of Minnesota Duluth. I have a couple online classes that I plan to finish this summer. I planned it this way so I could be just about anywhere in the country (as long as I have internet access). I received a job offer to work in central Wisconsin for an outdoor gear outfitter, who specializes in selling stand up paddle boards. I have experience kayaking and such, as I did instruct and lead groups on trips all of last summer. However, I have a high desire to move out west, where I believe "my calling" awaits. There is a catch, however. My application to the Peace Corps is just about finished, and I plan to start that early next year, given I get accepted. This leaves me with 3 options for the 7 months after I'm free from Duluth.

1. I take the job in central Wisconsin.

2. I move home and focus on my studies, and free rent.

3. I gamble, see what I've got in me to follow this passion to move out west, preferably Seattle, at this point in my life.

The first two options sound horrible, but don't get me wrong, I do feel lucky to have a job opportunity right out of college...

Anyway, sorry to make this so long, let's get to my questions.
First, is it realistic to think I can get a month-to-month lease in Seattle, as well as a temporary job?
Second, I'm very highly motivated, and I can definitely show the success I've had as a student supervisor at our Recreational Sports Outdoor Program at the University of Minnesota Duluth. I would like to get some new experiences in other realms of my life, while continuing to promote a healthy, active lifestyle.
Finally, who has taken a risk like this in their life? How did it work out for you? I have a strong desire in my heart to pave a new path, and not resort to what many of my fellow grads are doing (i.e. moving back home, staying in Duluth, or moving down to the Twin Cities). I need something new, something different, something exotic. Thank you everyone, you're commitment of time is appreciated in this post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 10:09 PM

1,950 posts, read 3,527,752 times
Since you only have 7 months & seem confident that the online courses will be easily achievable from anywhere, I would make the wild n' crazy choice. Why not take a job at REI in Seattle? The staff are forever doing outdoors activities outside of work, and you would get a discount. You could probably find a short-term rental if you looked hard enough. I would find a roommate in order to decrease the cost...

Old 01-31-2012, 10:13 PM

1,950 posts, read 3,527,752 times
seattle rooms & shares classifieds "shortterm" - craigslist

craigslist has listings for short-term rentals, shared space. $500/month or so is not bad!

also, I saw that REI does not appear to have any openings. However, the University of Washington always has temporary positions -- check there. Finally, have you considered doing some kind of transfer to one of our colleges for just the summer as a visiting student? May not even be of interest to you, but financial aid could cover it so that you don't have to work. Not sure if it's an option through your school, or ours...

Last edited by west seattle gal; 01-31-2012 at 10:28 PM..

Old 02-01-2012, 11:32 AM

710 posts, read 1,397,743 times
I would do it. Now is the time to do things like this while you have very little responsibility. Believe me, once you get settled somewhere it can be really hard to get out! I'm going through this now and have been stuck in Houston for over six years. I've just had to save and save and will be moving with or without a job to Seattle in April. I've had interest, but generally nothing comes from it as I'm out of state. I thankfully have a couple of interviews next month. Anyway, I just decided where I want to be and hope to never have to do this again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: