Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 12:53 PM

1,930 posts, read 6,535,543 times

Advertisements

I guess it depends on what you like to do. For eating out and shopping, the Dallas area is fantastic. Beyond that, I am not sure what you are referring to. Seattle area is hard to beat when it comes to the outdoors and natural beauty. And that's what I care about, so to me, Addison offered some good places to go out with friends that I can easily match in Seattle. Can't match getting to ski, seeing the amazing mountain ranges and wildlife we see here on a regular basis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 03:31 PM

12 posts, read 15,505 times
It is true, it all depends on what you like or what you are looking for. I do miss the convenience of all the amenities that North Texas had to offer. Really, there is not too many others places that compare.

It is beautiful here, don’t get me wrong. I do feel that the outdoor activities are overrated though. Yes, you have the ability to ski after a short drive, but you can only do that so often. Also, if you have a family, and work, there is only so much time left from the day to get out and enjoy the outdoors and natural beauty. It’s even more difficult when it is dark at 4:30 and drizzling.

It also depends on where you live. I work in Bellevue and live North. On my drive to and from work, there are no mountains, or water to view. On a clear day, I can see Mount Rainer from a section of the highway, but that is rare. It is cool when it happens though.

I think the weather is starting to get to me a little bit this year. I am also starting to get concerned about outside play time with my son. He is only a year and a half right now, but when he is older, I am concerned that being outside all the time really isn’t an option here.

Old 02-02-2012, 03:43 PM

878 posts, read 1,653,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCDAccount View Post
On a clear day, I can see Mount Rainer from a section of the highway, but that is rare. It is cool when it happens though.

I think the weather is starting to get to me a little bit this year. I am also starting to get concerned about outside play time with my son. He is only a year and a half right now, but when he is older, I am concerned that being outside all the time really isn’t an option here.
On a clear day I can see Mt. Rainier from my bedroom window and it's pretty spectacular. Living at Lea Hill is pretty awesome.

As for the weather, I came here from Georgia.. and from what I hear Texas heat is pretty comparable to Georgia heat, and in Georgia you couldn't go outside all the time either due to heat index warnings for half the year.

Old 02-02-2012, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRC2k11 View Post
On a clear day I can see Mt. Rainier from my bedroom window and it's pretty spectacular. Living at Lea Hill is pretty awesome.

As for the weather, I came here from Georgia.. and from what I hear Texas heat is pretty comparable to Georgia heat, and in Georgia you couldn't go outside all the time either due to heat index warnings for half the year.
Georgia must be a lot worse then the part of Texas I lived. We were outside year round. We just drank water.

Old 02-02-2012, 04:09 PM

1,930 posts, read 6,535,543 times
I lived in TX for 12 years. We moved here when our kids were 4 and 7 and the rain never stopped them from going outside and still doesn't almost 5 years later. In fact, my youngest who is a native born Texan, complains when it hits 70 that it's "too hot". We ski almost every weekend in the winter (yes, it's expensive...we drive older cars to compensate for the cost) and they play their sports outside rain or shine here. I've seen coaches use gas leaf blowers to blow puddles off the baseball field! The kids kayak and swim in the lakes in the summer, we sail, we hike and they are outside from sun up to sun down in the summer. Even in the winter, they are out in the culdesac playing soccer after school rain or shine. Get them the right gear and they don't care - they're kids!

I actually prefer raising kids in the climate here. In TX, the summer is when we'd go inside with our activities - movies, museums, the indoor bounce houses - which sucks because that's when they are out of school and able to do more outdoor activities. At least here the best weather aligns with the time they are out of school and able to enjoy it!! I love not having to rush to the pool or home from it for fear of heat stroke or too much intense sun. I also love not having to wonder if the lake is going to have enough water in it to boat in. The water here is clear, clean and beautiful as is the air. There are endless hikes to do...I could go on and on. You've got the San Juans, Whistler, Portland, Cannon Beach, the Olympic Peninsula for great weekend trips just hours away. For me, there is no comparison between Dallas and Seattle. Except for maybe the Tex Mex...I still miss that!!

Old 02-02-2012, 04:26 PM

That all sounds good. I think it just boils down to what you are used to. The heat never bothered me in Texas. I was born there so that is what I was used to. I would rather be out doing activities in the warmth then the cold or the rain. Living here has made me cooped up indoors much more...but...this is something that I can attempt to change, and need to.

Old 02-02-2012, 04:26 PM

710 posts, read 1,397,743 times
Quote:
Georgia must be a lot worse then the part of Texas I lived. We were outside year round. We just drank water.
It think that's just your tolerance for heat. In Houston, I never get out and about half of the year due to the heat. I feel that even if I end up not getting out half of the year in Seattle (which probably won't happen as it's bearable temperature-wise), then it equals out. For me, I can deal with weather, but not temperature. In the end, I gain SO many more things by moving up there - namely scenery and a more vibrant area. These are BIGGIE items for me.

Old 02-02-2012, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrman78 View Post
It think that's just your tolerance for heat. In Houston, I never get out and about half of the year due to the heat. I feel that even if I end up not getting out half of the year in Seattle (which probably won't happen as it's bearable temperature-wise), then it equals out. For me, I can deal with weather, but not temperature. In the end, I gain SO many more things by moving up there - namely scenery and a more vibrant area. These are BIGGIE items for me.
I agree, but Houston weather is bad. Much, much worse than Dallas. The humidity in Houston is nearly unbearable.

To the OP: If you guys want to come here, you will be fine. Most things just balance each other out, price wise. Just shop smart. Hey, you could always go back if you want to.

Last edited by SecondCDAccount; 02-02-2012 at 04:44 PM..

Old 02-02-2012, 06:54 PM

42 posts, read 71,926 times
Quote:
That all sounds good. I think it just boils down to what you are used to. The heat never bothered me in Texas. I was born there so that is what I was used to. I would rather be out doing activities in the warmth then the cold or the rain. Living here has made me cooped up indoors much more...but...this is something that I can attempt to change, and need to.

This is me. I came out expecting to love it and so far we have been here a little over 3 months and I still hate it. I don't know what all these people are talking about when they talk about 6 months of heat in the south...most often it is 3 months of heat and then spring and fall are milder in temps and those where my favorite times of the year! I stay indoors WAY more here than I ever did anywhere else even when we lived in Arizona.

The weather here sucks unless you like to be wet and tell your fiance to be to forget about having a good hair day here because the rain will muck it up every time. Is it pretty to look at? Yep unless you look all the way up and get tired of the gray gray gray skies 12 out of 13 days. The sun rarely shines here...like really I am not kidding and there is almost always a constant drizzle and it gets dark enough in your house daily by 2 pm enough that you need a light even if you have a wall full of windows... This place is not for everyone. You will either love it or hate it I don't think there is an in between and I can't wait to get out of this place.

Old 02-02-2012, 06:59 PM

42 posts, read 71,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acar0242 View Post
Ok, so like many of the post I've read on this forum. I am thinking on moving to Seattle from Dallas.

Little background on myself:
- Live with my girlfriend of 3 years. (We'll be engaged by years end)
- Work for an Insurance Broker as an Analyst for their Employee Benefits department.
- Salary $42,000

Now the main reason for moving is my that my girlfriend does not have any family in TX and they are spread out between Oregon and Michigan. So in order to be closer to her family we decided that Washington might be the best fit for us. (I heard Portland has a terrible job market & Michigan as well)

Now in order to better negotiate a new salary in Seattle, I want to know exactly where the higher cost of living comes into play. I already know housing is terrible and basically 2x what we pay in Dallas. But what else? How about groceries, car insurance, gas..etc? Right now I have a job interview for a company out in Seattle/Tacoma (They have offices in both) and I believe the pay would be around $55,000-$60,000. (would that be enough for the cost of living increase?)

We are not sure if the move would be long-term... We are basically doing this because we feel that we are young and can move around and try new places since we have no kids. We might end up coming back to Texas in 2-3 years unless we fall in love with the place. So with that said, we have no plans to buy a home in the area... Just rent an apartment somewhere nice.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

I thought I saw you say you could afford 1200 a month for rent...if you get a one bedroom you should be fine to find a place from 900-1200 monthly rent wise. Gas will be higher here as well as food cost but you can make it in the high 60's (income range) here I think for 2 people unless you have really expensive taste! If you move south towards Tacoma I think rent is cheaper but I can't help you with neighborhoods that far south. Some one else will chime in though I am sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area