U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 02:40 PM

1 posts, read 2,621 times

Advertisements

Aloha,
I'm toying with the idea of moving to Seattle in July of 2013.

Weather is one of my biggest questions, is Seattle really how they make it to be? Cold and rainy or is that a bad rap?

I'm thinking of working in West Seattle where should I live? And can I make it there on $70K?

What's it like being over 40 and single? Are there quality, datable men there? Cuz pickings are slim on an island in the middle of the Pacific!

Are there some good community theatre outlets there.... specifically, musical theatre?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2012, 08:39 PM

615 posts, read 1,013,538 times
Yes it would seem cold to you 9 or 10 months out of the year. Yes there are cultural things to do in Seattle. You'll have to ask a woman about men here.

Old 02-04-2012, 12:08 AM

42 posts, read 68,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzibeebo View Post
Aloha,

Weather is one of my biggest questions, is Seattle really how they make it to be? Cold and rainy or is that a bad rap?

I'm thinking of working in West Seattle where should I live? And can I make it there on $70K?

What's it like being over 40 and single? Are there quality, datable men there? Cuz pickings are slim on an island in the middle of the Pacific!

Are there some good community theatre outlets there.... specifically, musical theatre?

Do you like the weather in Hawaii??? If so I say do not come here. It really is not that cold here most days currently are in the mid 40's although you might find it cold considering the weather where you are currently. and YES IT RAINS quite a lot. This week is supposed to be a great week for no rain for about 4 days...lol The rain most of the time is not heavy but it is heavy enough that it is annoying and if you don't want to be wet or wear water proof clothing daily you will not want to be out in it.

If you're single and making 70k you should be totally fine here! I can't say personally about theatre outlets but i know they have some great places that I have read about and been told about.

Old 02-04-2012, 01:05 AM

2,958 posts, read 12,185,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlB328 View Post
Yes there are cultural things to do in Seattle.
Such as?

Old 02-04-2012, 08:17 AM

968 posts, read 1,964,807 times
I think speaking Pidgin would be like a magnet and attracting many men.

Old 02-04-2012, 10:04 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
38,076 posts, read 68,789,418 times
The last couple of days and the next few are very unusual and almost amazing as we have sun, up to about 60F, considered shorts weather
here. It is still down to the 30s at night in some areas though. We normally have weather very similar to Hawaii from July 5th through August, 80s and sunny, though we never did get that last year. The rest of the year you can count on cold, wet or overcast.

There are many local theater groups in the area.

Old 02-06-2012, 12:52 PM

10 posts, read 19,859 times
We are leaving Hawaii this summer transferring to Washington. I think my husband is going to have to drag me through the airport

Old 02-06-2012, 01:17 PM

1,729 posts, read 4,383,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
Such as?
Why would you be dubious about that? Seattle has tons of cultural activities. Are you really such a hater? Are you actually suggesting Seattle is devoid of culture?

Get out more...

Old 02-07-2012, 12:17 AM

1,600 posts, read 2,976,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzibeebo View Post
Aloha,

How can anybody at any age from Hawaii be happy living in Seatte. It really is dark, cold, and rainy all year long. Why would you ever want to exchange happy fresh sunny beaches and tropical nights for doom and gloom???:e ek:!!!!! DON'T COME HERE !!!!!!!!!

Old 02-07-2012, 12:21 PM

327 posts, read 921,286 times
I think 1/2 the year you'd love it. The other half you'd struggle. My wife is from SoCal, and let me tell you this is the worst time of year for her...always winging about moving back to Cali for the sunshine. All of that disappears in July. I actually don't mind the winters's here, because I love to ski, but Spring time does suck. We manage in the spring by taking all of our vacations to sunny/warm climates during that time. Coming from Hawaii, the weather will be a struggle. If you can mange it, come visit right now and see how it wears on you. I think culturally and economically, Seattle is very vibrant. Weather is a constant hot issue for transplants with a tan. You need a hobby to make the best of the wet/gray season.

You asked about community theater. I can't speak for Seattle, but there's the Village Theater Welcome to Village Theatre! out in Issaquah (20 minute drive from Seattle) that has great shows. The larger venues in Seattle are not community productions, and I'm really not an authority on the that stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>