Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 03:29 AM

878 posts, read 1,653,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by usernametaken View Post
I drove from Cleveland to Seattle in the summer of 2010. Coolest thing I ever did in my life by myself. It is also worth visiting local Wal-Marts

Funny you mention that because on my drive west I stopped at a Wal-mart near Sioux Falls, SD shortly before lunchtime (a Thursday) and every register was open.

Yes, let me say that again... every register was open.

To this date it is the first and only time I have ever seen a Wal-mart with every register open. I couldn't help but think about SD's unemployment rate being one of the lowest in the country... I'm pretty certain I read that somewhere.

A significant Wal-mart trip because usually I am stuck using the self check-out or I am stuck waiting 20-30 minutes behind the 8 other people in line because they have 2 registers open.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2012, 05:09 AM

84 posts, read 289,442 times
Default Re:

Thank you.

Old 02-15-2012, 05:14 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,550,038 times
I don't know what route you are taking, but if you look over our home page you can pick the page links (the months) for the locations we visited during our journey. They show the highlights of what we saw, per DH.

RunAwayWithHome

Old 02-15-2012, 05:44 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
I have driven across the country a few times including a motorcycle trip from SF to NYC. My wife and I plan to do it again at least as far as New Mexico after I retire. I like the idea of bringing something along so we can book lodging every day. I really hate having to miss something interesting because I have to get to a hotel.

Some suggestions:
Bring plenty of bottled water and fresh fruit
Have a mid size cooler and fill it with hotel ice every morning
Buy sandwiches for lunch at a grocery store in the morning (a lot cheaper than diner lunches)
Bring plenty of music and books including the "Off the Beaten Path" series.
Switch drivers every couple of hours
Check out the car every morning (tire pressures, coolant levels, tire wear, fuel level)
West of the Mississippi fill up every time the fuel drops below 2/2 to 1/3 full unless you are on the big slab. Back country gas stations can be few and far between.
Stop and Record the sights and sounds
Tune into a local AM radio station every morning to hear what the high school is serving for lunch.
Stop a set a spell every couple of days and visit the little town museums along the way

Take your time and enjoy.

Old 02-15-2012, 08:55 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,516,151 times
Stay off the interstate, and see the country for real.

Old 02-15-2012, 10:11 AM

96 posts, read 281,700 times
I drove from New Jersey to Seattle in June of 2010. We stopped in Illinois to stay with family and visit downtown Chicago, then we saw Mt Rushmore, we saw Spokane, and ended up in Seattle. We left Friday, stayed in Chicago until Sunday, and arrived in Seattle on Tuesday. It was relatively easy despite doing it in a Honda Civic. The worst part of the trek is Wyoming/Montana. It's flatland forever and was really depressing, haha.

Make sure you stock up on snacks before you leave. Food can sometimes be few and far in between. We ran out of snacks and lived off of fast food for the rest of the trip. It wasn't fun and my body did not agree with it.

Old 02-15-2012, 11:05 AM

1,014 posts, read 2,099,750 times
My in-laws take the train when they go to the east coast from Seattle. Takes a week, but they LOVE it.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:50 AM

542 posts, read 1,479,024 times
I moved from Virginia to Seattle in Aug/Sept of 1998. Planned to get there in a few days, but ended up taking 2 weeks, one of the best trips of my life. Me, my neon and 2 cats with my friend in her car. I drove up the first day through WV, Ohio to Indiana. Stayed there a night, then my friend (who lived in Indiana...we were in separate cars) and I took the I-70 route. Stopped in Illinois, ended up staying there a few days with a friend in St Louis. LOVE that city. Then we continued on through Kansas and Colorado. Stayed one night in Kansas (boring) and 1 night in Denver (fun!---met up with my cousin's wife for dinner, then headed do some hole in the wall bar in downtown that a local working at Kinko's suggested...the next day headed out...we had walkie talkies to keep in contact while on the road...while we were talking with them on our driving plans for the day, some electricians working on a school having lunch within our range overheard us and told us to meet them for lunch at the restaurant, they were buying...you bet we accepted, really nice guys and a lot of fun! )....during the trip drove through Wyoming (gorgeous, the black mountains you don't see at night, and when I woke up to them the next morning at our motel, they were startling), Salt Lake City, and Iowa (not necessarily in that order). Stayed in Boise for a few days with my friend's cousin and husband, pretty, clean, and surprisingly quiet town. Finally landed in Seattle, first site upon moving there being the Pink Elephant Car Wash. It was kind of hot in other parts of the country when we went...honestly maybe the best time to go is in September. Spring is still cold in Seattle, and when (and if...this summer Seattle had a total non-summer) it's nice in Seattle, it's hot in other parts of the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area