Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2012, 08:34 AM

3,045 posts, read 3,192,924 times

Advertisements

You didn't note what kind of living arrangement you wanted. House, apartment, roommates, etc.

In terms of where to live, there are lots of areas close to UW. There are also cyclists all over the city. The closest areas to UW would be Wallingford and Fremont. The north part of W is a little sleepy, but you're close to school, but also away from school. Down towards 45th you'll find more options.

Fremont is nice but it's a little further to get to school. It's a little more happening, particularly if you down towards the bottom of it.

Capitol Hill would be a bus ride away, but presents a great lifestyle with lots of people and things to do. It's probably your best choice. Queen Anne and Lower Queen Anne are options too and are bus rides away. Plenty of the single women I meet live in CH or QA.

Ballard is an option too, but it's a pain as you have to get out of Ballard before you go anywhere. You'd be bus/car bound for school definitely.

I wouldn't worry about the dates. I'm always amazed at the women when I meet CO. Actually friendly. You should do fine. Good luck!

ps. I've NEVER had problems with parking in Seattle with the exception of Lower Queen Anne. The issue is greatly exaggerated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sekhmet1974 View Post
I'll add you can "survive" in Seattle without a car, but it's not as easy as one would hope. It's an extremely hilly city (think San Francisco) and things like grocery stores are more spread out than you might imagine, especially if you don't have a car. I kept my car in a storage garage the first few years living in Seattle and a lot of things were a pain. Having a car is much easier, plus there are a lot of places to explore that are much more accessible by car. Parking wise, I've often had a hard time finding spots in Wallingford but if you get assigned parking it would be good. Living in Fremont, we had 2 cars fo a while...we had one assigned spot and the other we parked on the street...never had any problems finding a spot except during festivals, and even then we just had to park a few blocks away.
I like Ballard a lot, but it's definitely a farther commute. Still doable via bus or bike and they have good restaurants and bars. It's become more and more stroller/family friendly than it used to be, but not as much as Upper Queen Anne.
Are you sure you're talking about Seattle?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2017, 12:47 PM

3 posts, read 4,183 times
I'm in my mid-30's and going to UW for continuing education certificate programs. I lived on CH for 8 years, loved it, then "outgrew" the area. I'm currently in the U District and have to agree with the other post, I'm ready to move! I work in Ballard and have considered living here, but if feels a bit far since I sold my car. I'd go with Wallingford or Freemont. I've lived here 10 years altogether and lived and visited many neighborhoods; West Seattle, Northgate, SoDo, Georgetown, Cap Hill and now the U District. For a single 30 something female (also a CU Boulder grad), I'd recommend Wallingford, Greenlake, or Fremont. That's my next stop anyway. They are both close enough to the school for a direct bus route, cleaner, more places to go out, and more people around my age without kids. Fremont is known for being a bit "hippyish" and I'm more into punk so I've steered clear in the past but since Amazon set up shop here and the cost of living inflated, I'm looking for a community/shared housing situation. Even as I'm writing this, I'm thinking Wallingford may be the best location for me. FYI - try to stay in Seattle proper. Once you get too far north or south, it feels like you're in another city. If I were in your shoes, I'd go with Wallingford to live, then visit Cap Hill, lower Queen Anne, Fremont, and Ballard for going out and fun. Since you're from Boulder, you might like Fremont more. It has a similar hippy-type vibe and a lot of fun things to do. Ballard is know as the Scandinavian hood, but I've yet to find a nice Swede to sweep me off my feet lol. Good luck and welcome to the Emerald City!!!

Old 02-11-2017, 01:23 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,365,584 times
Default Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfs0919 View Post
So, I am wondering: what about living in Ballard vs. Fremont vs. Pike/Pine. What is my best bet for being within easy access to a nightlife for thirty-somethings, but also proximity to school and cycling? Is it difficult to get from Ballard to downtown/cap hill on a weekend night? Do people take cabs? Is Ballard/Fremont isolated from the rest of the city I will want to explore? Thanks much!
1. For cycling, look anywhere along the Burke-Gilman Trail: http://www.willhiteweb.com/biking_wa...-trail-map.jpg

2. Ravenna and Bryant neighborhoods (NE of UW): Easy access to Burke-Gilman Trail, UW campus, and UW Light Rail Station (3 minutes to Capitol Hill, 8 minutes to Downtown). Also: University Way (the Ave), University Village, Ravenna/Cowen Park, Magnuson Park. #45, 65, 71, 73, 75, 78 to UW/Light Rail Station.

3. Lower Wallingford: Easy access to Burke-Gilman Trail, Gasworks Park, Fremont, UW. #26 to Fremont and Downtown. Upper Wallingford: Close to Woodland Park/Zoo and Green Lake. Restaurants, bars, stores, shops, cinema along 45th, #44 trolleybus (every 10 minutes) to U District, UW, and the UW Light Rail Station. #62 to Fremont and Downtown.

4. Lower Fremont: Easy access to Burke-Gilman Trail, Gasworks Park, Wallingford. Restaurants, bars, stores, shops. Upper Fremont: Close to Woodland Park/Zoo and Green Lake. #44 trolleybus to Ballard, Wallingford, UW, Light Rail.

5. Ballard: Western section of Burke-Gilman Trail from Ballard to Golden Gardens Park/Beach, but cut off from rest of trail by the "missing link". Live music, restaurants, bars, brewpubs, stores, shops, etc. #44 trolleybus, about 30 minutes to UW; #40 to Fremont/SLU/Downtown; D-Line to Lower Queen Anne/Belltown/Downtown. 45-60 minutes to Pike-Pine/Capitol Hill.

Old 02-11-2017, 03:15 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,365,584 times
WHY do I always get SUCKED into these OLD threads...

Old 02-11-2017, 04:48 PM

737 posts, read 1,462,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
You usually give really good advice/suggestions. I'm sure somebody out there will use it. It's all good. I will sometimes get these emails from City-Data encouraging me to revive old threads.

Old 02-11-2017, 08:49 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
It's maddening, isn't it?

Old 02-26-2017, 10:39 AM

3 posts, read 4,183 times
Your advice, listed out like that is VERY helpful!!! I have been thinking of moving and going back and forth about what neighborhood to live in while I finish my program at UW. Then I saw your last post and it's inspiring me to stay a little longer and tough it out. It's probably just winter blues or a vitamin D deficiency... Anyway, thanks. I appreciate you getting sucked back in!

Old 03-01-2017, 11:17 PM

7 posts, read 5,070 times
This is rich. The OP probably isn't even living in the city anymore, she said it was just a 2 year fellowship. I wonder where she ended up living and if she liked it?! The curious would like to know!

Old 03-03-2017, 12:41 PM

808 posts, read 541,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfs0919 View Post
Hi,
I am single and would be very eager to live in/near a fun neighborhood where potential thirty-something friends and (hopefully)dates will want to meet up and go out. I would also like a relatively straightforward bus/bike commute to UW campus (I do have a car though).
I concur with the Wallingford/Fremont suggestions, but would expand that to a bit further north - to Phinney Ridge. Fremont and Wallingford are congested and noisy, whereas Phinney Ridge is more quiet, and there's more room for parking.

You can get along in Seattle without a car, but I found my whole life changed when I got a car. Instead of being limited to one or two places a day, I could go four or six places, get all my errands done. What you could get done in two hours after work with a car can take up your whole Saturday if you have to use a bus.

Plus, there are all kinds of hidden places in Seattle you can't get to very well by bus, but are fun to explore, like the Arboretum, Myrtle Edwards Park, and tiny neighborhood retail centers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: