U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2012, 03:13 PM

6 posts, read 28,315 times

Advertisements

We’re looking for the inside scoop on either Catharine Blaine (k-8) or Lawton/McClure (K-5/6-8), which are the two primary public school tracks for Magnolia. We’ve read everything we could find on schooldigger and greatschools.org, but we don’t know anyone with firsthand experiences at either of these schools.

How are the teachers & staff? How do you rate the extracurricular programs? Overall – would you say your kids got a good, well-rounded experience at either of these schools? The principal at Blaine is departing this year. How critical was she to the program?

Any feedback is welcome. Thanks!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2012, 04:17 PM

1,600 posts, read 2,989,083 times
For one thing, there's no such thing as 'Magnolia Public Schools' in Seattle.

Old 02-22-2012, 05:37 PM

6 posts, read 28,315 times
I'm referring to the Seattle Public Schools located in the neighborhood of Magnolia. As opposed to private schools.

Specifically the schools that I mentioned in my post.

Old 02-23-2012, 04:30 AM

1,748 posts, read 5,259,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul_7 View Post
We’re looking for the inside scoop on either Catharine Blaine (k-8) or Lawton/McClure (K-5/6-8), which are the two primary public school tracks for Magnolia. We’ve read everything we could find on schooldigger and greatschools.org, but we don’t know anyone with firsthand experiences at either of these schools.

How are the teachers & staff? How do you rate the extracurricular programs? Overall – would you say your kids got a good, well-rounded experience at either of these schools? The principal at Blaine is departing this year. How critical was she to the program?

Any feedback is welcome. Thanks!
Hi Paul. We looked at these schools a few weeks ago as we are considering these neighborhoods. I really liked Lawton and McClure. Catharine Blaine seemed to have few options for kids for middle school. There wasn't band or orchestra and a lot of other things typically offered. Overall and this is my opinion the environment seemed kind of dull. If you are looking for an elementary model through 8th grade then you would want to check it out. McClure was a nicer facility and had a lot of what we are used to coming in from another area. We happened upon the day incoming 6th graders and parents were visiting and I really liked the questions parents were asking.The older students giving us the tour seemed to have lots of pride in the school. Maybe this is what we felt was missing at Blaine. For our middle schooler who is active in music attending Blaine would be a step back. Lawton seemed very well run and upbeat.

Old 02-23-2012, 06:19 PM

3,733 posts, read 7,336,036 times
I attended Lawton when I was a kid and it is a great school. The building itself is still fairly new (when I started kindergarten there in 1990, it was the first year the new building was open), and I loved most of my teachers.

Went to McClure for 6th grade only and didn't like it. 7th and 8th was at NOMS (New Options Middle School), which actually merged with another school the year after I left and moved to a different building in Ballard. It is known today by a different name (can't think of what it is right now) but that was a really good school with good teachers. Its current location is just down the street (to the west) of Ballard High School (another great school in a still pretty new building. In 1999 when I started there as a freshman was the first year the new building was open). Anyway wish I could remember what NOMS was called now, but I would look into that over McClure for sure. Will try to figure it out.

Old 02-23-2012, 06:24 PM

9,638 posts, read 26,002,730 times
New Options became Salmon Bay, I think.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjg5 View Post
I attended Lawton when I was a kid and it is a great school. The building itself is still fairly new (when I started kindergarten there in 1990, it was the first year the new building was open), and I loved most of my teachers.

Went to McClure for 6th grade only and didn't like it. 7th and 8th was at NOMS (New Options Middle School), which actually merged with another school the year after I left and moved to a different building in Ballard. It is known today by a different name (can't think of what it is right now) but that was a really good school with good teachers. Its current location is just down the street (to the west) of Ballard High School (another great school in a still pretty new building. In 1999 when I started there as a freshman was the first year the new building was open). Anyway wish I could remember what NOMS was called now, but I would look into that over McClure for sure. Will try to figure it out.

Old 02-23-2012, 06:29 PM

Okay, when NOMS merged with COHO elementary, it was known for a few years as COHO-NOMS, and is today known as Salmon Bay School. Of course when I was in NOMS it was just a middle school, but after the merge it became K - 8. Though the building, which is three stories, separates the elementary school portion from the middle school portion by having them on different floors.

Old 02-23-2012, 06:31 PM

Yep Ira500 beat me to it.

Old 04-03-2012, 06:43 AM

1 posts, read 6,144 times
Hi Paul. My kids go to Catharine Blaine K-8; we live on Queen Anne (lived here for nearly 20 years). As far as elementary schools, John Hay, Coe and Lawton are all excellent schools. We also attended John Hay for several years but transferred to Blaine because we liked the K-8 format and, quite honesty, none of my kids wanted to go to McClure! Blaine is a very well run school. In fact, a top administrator in Seattle Public Schools recently told the parents that if they had a child of school age in SPS, they would choose Blaine. The class sizes are small in the elementary grades, typically under 25. Class sizes at John Hay have been running 30+. The education at all levels at Blaine is very good. In the 5th grade the kids alternate between 2 teachers (both excellent!) to get ready for middle school.

The pros of Blaine are: smaller school so you really get to know the staff and other kids and they get to know you, very good teachers overall, friendly and active parent body, good quality education (my oldest just started high school this year and the Blaine kids have overall done better than many of their counterparts from McClure) and, the best of all, the K-8 format really discourages middle school kids from "acting out" as they are constantly around smaller children.

The cons are: small school (it can get "clique-ish") and not as many class offerings for middle school (as a previous poster said, there is no band, etc.).

That being said, I would seek enrichment elsewhere as I would not recommend McClure in any way, shape or form! I have known several families who have sent their kids to McClure over the years and the MANY horror stories far outweigh the few positive ones. It's sad as it is a small middle school in an affluent neighborhood that should be doing well. The overall feedback is that 6th grade is OK but after that the quality of education goes downhill dramatically. Many try their hardest to be supportive of McClure but most have had a miserable experience there.

Based on my oldest child's high school experience and friends, I would recommend Whitman Middle School over McClure if you want a full range of middle school activities, class offerings, etc. Although it's not in the "cluster" of QA/Magnolia schools, it's just a bit north and you can apply for entrance as you can with any school in SPS. Priority is given to kids in the school's neighborhood but extra seats are always available. Whitman feeds into Ballard High School as does Blaine and McClure.

Blaine really tries to make up for its lack of middle school offerings by offering lots of extracurricular activities, For instance they offer swimming classes through school at the pool next door, Zumba, languages, rock band, computer club, unicycle club, etc.

The principal is indeed leaving Blaine. Most attribute much of Blaine's success to her. However, SPS is recruiting nationally for this spot and I am confident they will find someone to continue with the current principal's vision and success.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by italiangal; 04-03-2012 at 07:23 AM..

Old 04-03-2012, 09:29 AM

1,729 posts, read 4,407,426 times
Test scores aren't the whole story. Every building has its own vibe. A visit is always a good idea. And I suggest starting with the principal. That is almost always telling.

Here is a link showing Blaine. On the right is a comparison tool so you can select Seattle Schools, then Lawton and compare directly.

Both of these schools rank very well.

Washington State Report Card

You can use the OPSI site to also compare middle schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area