Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 10:27 PM

26 posts, read 35,474 times

Advertisements

I have been wanting to move to Seattle since 2006. Finally.. I will be moving in August 2012 yay... But, I'm a little worried about meeting new people, as I won't know a soul when I move there except my fiancée and our 3 children which will be coming along with me. Is the " Seattle Freeze " really that bad? I need some awesome girlfriends, it is very important to me to have friends as it is to most people. also my fiancé is African American and I am white, our children are biracial, are we going to have problems?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 11:28 PM

1,599 posts, read 3,133,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbuskirk View Post
I have been wanting to move to Seattle since 2006. Finally.. I will be moving in August 2012 yay... But, I'm a little worried about meeting new people, as I won't know a soul when I move there except my fiancée and our 3 children which will be coming along with me. Is the " Seattle Freeze " really that bad? I need some awesome girlfriends, it is very important to me to have friends as it is to most people. also my fiancé is African American and I am white, our children are biracial, are we going to have problems?
Let's see now, see if I can figure this out: You have a fiancee and and 3 children and you still need some 'awesome girlfriends' ?????? This town may be ultra-liberal but if any of these 'awesome girlfriends' can figure you out I would understand why they they would give you that 'Seattle Freeze'.

Old 02-27-2012, 11:50 PM

1,930 posts, read 6,535,543 times
Vinylly, that was not nice!!!!

OP, I think having kids actually makes it easier to meet people anywhere you'd move. I have formed many friendships with others just bonding over watching soccer and baseball in the rain. You will be fine. And I don't think you will have an issue with biracial kids or a marriage as such. It's somewhat common these days and knowing a few couples personally that are and have kids, I have never heard them say they have any issues. Good luck!

Old 02-28-2012, 12:16 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,871,819 times
Seattle Freeze... a very controversial subject thread on this board-- you have people who don't believe it exists... those who do... and those who don't think it's anything unique to Seattle so therefor... don't care.

Yes... Every girl needs awesome girlfriends. Its just new place jitters... just get involved in everything, don't get frustrated (because people can be a bit hard to know... but good friends take time anyways).

Just enjoy Seattle for what it is and if it blossoms into something more, then enjoy it!

Old 02-28-2012, 05:00 AM

26 posts, read 35,474 times
Thank you vinylly, I will be sure to avoid people like you thanks for the replies from everyone. I was asking about the Seattle freeze because when I was visiting in 2008 I recall everyone was very kind and friendly, and about the biracial issue, I just remember thinking to myself " wow I have only seen like 5 black people the whole time I've been here". However neither of these factors will keep me from moving to that beautiful city. Thanks again.

Old 02-28-2012, 05:03 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,516,151 times
Quote:
Thank you vinylly, I will be sure to avoid people like you thanks for the replies from everyone. I was asking about the Seattle freeze because when I was visiting in 2008 I recall everyone was very kind and friendly, and about the biracial issue, I just remember thinking to myself " wow I have only seen like 5 black people the whole time I've been here". However neither of these factors will keep me from moving to that beautiful city. Thanks again.
I think Vinylly was thinking you were a man in search of a harem of awesome girlfriends to complement your female fiance.

Old 02-28-2012, 05:07 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:

In my opinion the only reason there is a "biracial issue" is because you keep bringing attention to it. My nieces are biracial and we have never had an issue with anyone anywhere but we don't have the neon sign turned on that says "My nieces are biracial".

Old 02-28-2012, 06:13 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,186,228 times
When you visited here you most likely spent time at the tourist sites, where you definitely see a high percentage of white and Asian people. Once you are living here you will find that even in the affluent suburbs there is a diverse
population, though lately there are far more people people from India moving here than blacks. Even if you were in an all-white neighborhood people here are very tolerant of all people except maybe ultra-conservatives.

That whole Seattle freeze thing started back in the 80s when the area was flooded with people from California who drove up home prices and clogged up the freeways. The attitude toward them was so bad that people would go get their WA license plates on their cars the first day they were here. Now the Seattle area is about 60% people from other states/countries.

Old 02-28-2012, 12:29 PM

20 posts, read 33,426 times
I am moving to Seattle and am bi-racial. I was there this past weekend and didn't notice anything different from living in Chicago (probably better overall).

I am also in an inter-racial relationship, no issues there either. I agree with the above, tell everyone to be themselves and not try to call attention to race as to most people it simply does not matter.

Old 03-01-2012, 10:18 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Seattle Freeze... a very controversial subject thread on this board--
Yes indeed. A topic that area university sociologists and psychologists comment upon for articles in the Seattle Times. It exists in the PNW in general, so it's magnified in Seattle.

Other American "freeze" cities are Portland and Minneapolis. In the latter, it's called "Minnesota Nice."

I notice this kind of stuff because I spent several years of my childhood in the Mediterranean, where people are just the opposite - very open and in-your-face, which I've come to accept as more "normal."

To anyone who wants to move to Seattle, go ahead and do it and get it out of your system. I had the same "dream" as in the OP. (For some people, San Francisco has the same pull.) But have "Plan B."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area