Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 05:12 PM

2 posts, read 2,045 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! Inventory is tight, there are bidding wars in Ballard, and real estate prices are still high. We found a cute house in Fremont. It is about a block or two off 99. I hear that houses off 99 are unpopular but is that true in the Phinney/Fremont/Green Lake area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 05:30 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,342,201 times
Depends. I used to live at 39th and Fremont Avenue and it was just fine.. A couple of blocks away from Aurora/99 shouldn't be a problem, a couple of doors away should. And for some reason it's a tiny bit nicer going towards Ballard than going towards Wallingford, when you're very near 99.

Old 02-29-2012, 05:39 PM

3,184 posts, read 4,847,102 times
On 99, the closer to Woodland park the better. I really like the neighborhood between 46th and 50th just west of 99. Lots of slightly older houses but they are all very nice. The further south you go, the sketchier 99 gets. Plus there's that abandoned motel that's been covered in graffiti and I believe has had some less-than-savory goings-on. On the bright side it's for sale, so maybe someone will buy it and clean it up.

Old 02-29-2012, 06:22 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Drive or better yet walk around the neighborhood. The 99 corridor is pretty sketchy most of the way but there are peaceful, quiet spots here and there especially in that area. Even if you buy and love it there, you may take longer to eventually sell due to the proximity to 99, it just has a really bad reputation. If it's between the zoo and 85th you should be fine.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:49 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,372,565 times
North of Woodland Park and south of 85th, you're fine.

Between Woodland Park and the Aurora Bridge, stay away.

Old 03-03-2012, 12:41 AM

5,002 posts, read 12,360,632 times
One area that I thought would be cool to live is the Green Lake area just south of 85th near 99 (there called just Aurora). It's the cheaper side of Green Lake but with all the amenities that come with living in the area. I do agree that 85th st and north is kinda sketchy, but a few blocks in and you should be fine. Same can be said pretty much anywhere along WA-99, if anything because of the road noise would be a bit much if say you bought a condo right on Aurora in Queen Anne.

Old 03-04-2012, 03:16 PM

3,045 posts, read 3,193,246 times
Do you mind the road noise? go there at a busy time of day. You're definitely more connected with the city than in Ballard. It really depends on the price of the house. Most of the lower priced inventory is being purchased and flipped from one house into 4 ugly townhomes. They suck up all of the street parking as well.

Old 03-04-2012, 06:24 PM

187 posts, read 576,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tryingtostaywarm View Post
Hi everyone! Inventory is tight, there are bidding wars in Ballard, and real estate prices are still high. We found a cute house in Fremont. It is about a block or two off 99. I hear that houses off 99 are unpopular but is that true in the Phinney/Fremont/Green Lake area?
I live just 4 houses off of Aurora in Fremont, and I can barely hear any traffic/noise from the highway - even at rush hour. I will say though, before they started condemning and tearing down the old shady motels along Aurora Ave, I would hear more noise coming from the clientele and residents of those drug and prostitute infested buildings than I would of the car traffic.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:09 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,847,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motor80 View Post
I will say though, before they started condemning and tearing down the old shady motels along Aurora Ave, I would hear more noise coming from the clientele and residents of those drug and prostitute infested buildings than I would of the car traffic.
They've started to get serious about getting that stretch of 99 a bit nicer. This weekend they tore down one of those sketchy motels near 44th or 42nd. To be honest I though that stretch really wasn't all that bad to begin with, the only exceptions being those 3 motels. One of them was fixed up a while ago, now one has been demolished and the last one is finally for sale. Once that last one is sold and demolished it will be a charming area.

Old 03-07-2012, 01:43 PM

1 posts, read 1,371 times
Upper Fremont is a great neighborhood - with new restaurants, the Fremont Abbey, close to the zoo, a walk to the oldest, continuously operating elementary school in the City - B.F. Day School, this is really a great little 'hood. The nice part about upper Fremont is that you are close walk to "downtown Fremont" and you are closely connected to the City by buses on Aurora. The Thunderbird motel is being torn down and turned into a homeless facility run by Catholic Family Services - they have a great track record of creating safe housing facilities that add to the community in which they are located. With much development in that area, housing prices are likely to rise there in the coming decade, making it a nice area to invest and live!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: