Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2012, 03:50 PM

3 posts, read 6,504 times

Advertisements

My family is planning on moving to Vashon (from the midwest) in the near future. Are there any national moving companies that service the island? We were planning on using U-Pack, but found out that they-- and other moving companies-- only deliver to their storage facility in the Seattle-Tacoma area. We would then need to rent a truck ourselves and complete the move. Naturally, avoiding this last step would be a major plus. Any ideas? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 06:00 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,101,509 times
Hi. Interesting puzzlement, eh?

Have you gotten on the phone and discussed your specific needs with: Allied, Atlas, Mayflower and United van line companies? (They all operate in WA.) They are, as I'm sure you know, nationwide moving companies with decades of experience and reputation, as well as good Better Business Bureau standings. I've done many, many long-distance moves and have always used one of the above companies, with excellent results.

Since Vashon is an island, getting there from the mainland requires that the moving van take the ferry. There almost certainly Washington State Department of Transportation (which regulated moving companies) limits on weight/width/height for trucks using the ferry -- which might be the reason you have not yet found a company that will take your items all the way to Vashon.

Instead of your own U-Haul, which you seem unhappy to consider -- have you discussed with the big national moving companies transporting your items in two smaller trucks instead of in one big one? They would, of course, charge you more to do this, but one truck at a time taking the ferry might comply with D.O.T. regulations for height/width/weight.

I wish you fun in your research! And when you get to Vashon, you will be in a lovely piece of heaven.

Old 03-09-2012, 03:11 PM

3 posts, read 6,504 times
Thanks for your response, allforcats! We were hoping to use a "pack it yourself" company (PODS, Door-to-Door, ABF U-Pack), but learned that these companies will not come to Vashon. This would be the most convenient (and affordable) way for us to move, as we also need 2-3 months storage.

I did contact a national van line and was told that yes, they can take a ferry to an island. Of course, the cost for the complete move would be extremely high, and our belongings will be packed and unpacked multiple times. We'll have to decide which method works best for us.

Thanks again for your input. Can't tell you how excited we are about Vashon!

Old 03-09-2012, 10:55 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,101,509 times
Your response is so interesting! I kinda thought the ferry requirement might be the big difference...

If you relax, forget about the whole thing for a few days, bathe in the light of the full moon, do yoga or meditation with flowers or bunnies on your mind, and just "zen out" about it -- the thing to do that feels comfortable for you will bob up, like a Cheerio in milk :-)

Happy planning! Happy moving! Happy new life!

Old 05-19-2012, 12:27 AM

54 posts, read 78,425 times
i think with u haul you rent a trailer from them to tote around your "pods" so you might be able to ferry that onto the island. its worth checking
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area