Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 04:36 PM

410 posts, read 1,521,818 times

Advertisements

Bought tickets and son and I will be in NW Washington for the week of April 1st-7th. I plan on going to Olympia and PA and then head up to Seattle area. He wants to see Anacortes but most important things to him are seeing "the ocean" (he's 7 and doesn't really understand the finer details), the space needle, and trees. We hope to get a good feel for the area and would love to do a little job/apartment hunting while there but will be near next to impossible with him (I can't find any drop off child care for school age kids).

What are some things "not to miss" about NW Washington?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 05:01 PM

723 posts, read 2,193,842 times
pacific science center which is next to the space needle.

for that oceanic feel head directly to the pier (just head towards the water after you leave the science center/space needle then it's about a half/quarter mile stretch of stuff to do along the water's edge.

avoid pikes place market it's nothing but a tourist trap and you'll get stepped on the whole time. No one shops there all they do is stop to take pictures and toss fish.

Point defiance doesn't suck so that's an option.

Old 03-05-2012, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emerald_octane View Post
avoid pikes place market it's nothing but a tourist trap and you'll get stepped on the whole time. No one shops there all they do is stop to take pictures and toss fish.

My son wants to go to Beecher's and I was interested in the antique shops there...is Pikes Place Market really that bad?

Old 03-05-2012, 05:06 PM

1,630 posts, read 3,884,862 times
Well that week will be week 14 of the annual Seattle Rain Festival, so dress appropriately. If you really want to see the ocean, drive over to the coast while you're in Olympia - not much to see in Anacortes for a 7 year old or any year old for that matter. Confused if you want stuff for you to "not miss" or for your 7 year old to "not miss". For your kid, the Science Center is fun and he can do the Space Needle (something a 7 year old would love). I disagree vehemently that Pike Place Market (note not plural) is not fun ... we've lived here nearly 30 years and enjoy every visit.

Old 03-05-2012, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobester View Post
Well that week will be week 14 of the annual Seattle Rain Festival, so dress appropriately. If you really want to see the ocean, drive over to the coast while you're in Olympia - not much to see in Anacortes for a 7 year old or any year old for that matter. Confused if you want stuff for you to "not miss" or for your 7 year old to "not miss". For your kid, the Science Center is fun and he can do the Space Needle (something a 7 year old would love).

LOL...I often forget I even exist. This is his first trip out of state and we have lots of time there. I am pretty happy with whatever (have to admit never been interested in seeing the Space Needle though). I am going to be keeping my eye out for apartments and jobs while making sure he is entertained.

Old 03-05-2012, 05:12 PM

2,747 posts, read 3,318,947 times
Seattle - Wikitravel
Washington travel guide - Wikitravel
here are some travel tips

Old 03-05-2012, 05:14 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,716,760 times
Pike Place Market is awesome.
Take a ferry - Seattle to Bainbridge is a good one.
The Space Needle elevator takes you to the top and slowly turns - you can have lunch there though it may be pricey.
Whidbey Island is very cute and you can take a ferry from Mukilteo to the island. The town of Langley is small and nice to visit and your son can climb all around Fort Casey.
The Underground Tour is fun since Seattle was rebuilt one story up after the fire. The old Seattle is underground one story and your son will be able to see the old storefronts.
Whale Watching
Not sure PA is worth the time to travel there since it's small and job opportunities are quite limited.
Lake Union and the floating homes
Seattle Duck tour (some like this more than others, I wouldn't choose it but your son might love it)
Drive around the Microsoft campus, the Amazon campus, cross the 520 floating bridge, stroll through Bellevue Square, go bowling or play arcades in Lincoln Tower across bridge from Bellevue Square
Just driving around you will be amazed, it's quite beautiful.

Old 03-05-2012, 05:40 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,874,077 times
I concur with Ride the Duck suggestion. I think that since your boy never seen the "ocean", he's especially going to enjoy the duck. The thing is a tank, it goes onto the water as well. It'll probably end up blowing his mind, LOL.

Ride the Ducks of Seattle - Fun and unique tours of Seattle! Call 206-441-DUCK!

Be sure to look around on the web for coupons.

I'd agree... skip out on PA-- it's just going to eat the time you could've use for apartment/job hunting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emerald_octane View Post

Pike Place Market... is way more than just a tourist trap and you're wrong on that "no one shops there". Its there for a reason and its because people *do* shop there. You couldn't even get the name down right. Have you even been there?

Old 03-05-2012, 05:43 PM

102 posts, read 275,026 times
The Ballard Locks were a hit with both our six year old and two year old and it's a nice one for parents, too - it's a super short walk from parking to the locks (but pretty) and then you can spend a while watching the water and wandering, or just make it quick. I always like those quick, easy fun things - let's you pack in more and fill time (or tuck in one last neat thing before YOU collapse for the day!).

Alki Beach was a good 'ocean' hit with the kids. Lots of walking along a sandy beach with fantastic views, and then tons of restaurants across the street.

Bainbridge or Whidbey - somewhere you can take a ferry to - the ride alone is the most fun!

Just driving around is fun, too. The trains and boats around the pier will be enough entertainment for a 7 year old boy, for sure! Everything is green and the parks are fantastic.

We find this just a fantastic city for kids.

Old 03-05-2012, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
I concur with Ride the Duck suggestion. I think that since your boy never seen the "ocean", he's especially going to enjoy the duck. The thing is a tank, it goes onto the water as well. It'll probably end up blowing his mind, LOL.

He saw something similar to that on Fetch and thought it looked really cool. Thanks for the link and info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area