Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2008, 01:44 AM

22 posts, read 60,877 times

Advertisements

Hi! So my husband is possibly going to be working in Kent. Im looking for an area to look moving to with our 2 kids ( 6yrs and 6 months). We currently live in what would be KIND OF a suburb of Las Vegas. But anything we want is about a 10 minute drive away. Las Vegas schools rank like 49 I think in the state, so a better school system is almost guaranteed for us! lol
But Id like to live in a nice area (who doesnt duh), but I have no clue where to begin. Ive done endless searches online spending hours and hours looking. I need a starting point I guess. I've seen posts about Covington, Maple Valley, Green lake, etc. We need somethng affordable for us rent wise, like a 2 or 3 bedroom house (no apartments or condo) for roughly $1300/mo. Am I living in fantasy land or is this possible to find? Here are my list of priorities I guess:
1. Safe
2. Affordable
3. Good schools
4. Close to some sort of stuff- like food shopping, walmart, etc., and movie theaters, activities for the kids.

My husband is willing to commute like a half hour or so. And also, he may be required to go to Downtown Seattle for work sometimes.
Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2008, 09:40 AM

29 posts, read 240,686 times
Post Areas Near Kent

First off you can rent a house for 1000 - 1500k. Don't live in kent unless its on east or west hill. I live in des moines about 10 min west of kent and next to puget sound. The school districts are bad, at least that is what I have been told. I live near salt water park, which is a national park with access to the water. I am from socal so living here is a real change in a positive way. I am 27 ad my fiacee is 33 and we absolutley love the area so we bought an 1100 sq ft house for under 300k. Now is a good time to buy. There are also cities like burien, normandy park (more pricey), federal way (very crowded), renton (very mixed), covington (getting very built up very fast), maple valley and auburn (more of a blu collar town, except on hills. I have seen many houses that were over 350k off the market and looking to lease or rent or lease/rent to own. I work for boeing and talk to everyone I could before I looked hard at an area. I am very biased when it comes to des moines because its a very quaint, low crime, nice area. Since its about 20 - 30 minutes from downtown seattle the prices are more reasonable. Please make sure to work with an agent that knows the area well. I know a nice lady that helps people even if they are not ready to buy. I know how it is being up here with no friends or family, so if you have any questions let me know

Old 05-02-2008, 09:49 AM

3,176 posts, read 14,703,067 times
ALways take advice of a parent

Unfortunately the best schools are always in the expensive areas.

Eastside:Bellevue, Redmond, Issaquah, etc

I like Maple Valley though - we have thought of moving there

I do not think there are many rentals out that way though. But definately check...

It is of my opinion only to stay away from Kent, Renton, Des Moines, or pretty much south King County (well, I like Burien)...but I say that only as a person who always has a six year old and wants good schools and a safe area for my kids.

Old 05-02-2008, 11:16 AM

479 posts, read 2,224,370 times
I would suggest Maple Valley, North Bend or Snoqualmie.

Old 05-02-2008, 07:58 PM

17 posts, read 79,499 times
I would check East Hill in Kent or Maple Valley.

Old 05-02-2008, 08:33 PM

22 posts, read 60,877 times
So Maple Valley seems to be a good place is the consensis? The advice of a parent is definitely what Im looking for
I totally understand the good schools=more expensive area. Right now nevada schools have no money. I had to pay for full time kindergarten! And my daughter had no teacher for the 1st 3 months of the school year and had 50 kids in her class. Nevada schools ranked the lowest in the country. And they cant go year round- they go in tracks- one month on one month off, etc. So thats a bad school system.
What makes the Seattle area schools bad? Is it violence, drugs, lack of teachers, kids arent learning?
Citygrl- what area do u live in, if I may ask?

Old 05-02-2008, 08:39 PM

123 posts, read 346,884 times
MY son and wife have lived in Seatac near Kent for 2 years now, baby on the way so cannot speak for schools. Seatac townhome 3 levels, bed,huge basment i nthe $300s range/ They like it a lot. They are both w/the airlines so work is close by.

Old 08-28-2012, 06:11 PM

1 posts, read 1,952 times
I am also planning to move to Kent , with family including 8 year old son .. which area should we prefer moving to .. modern flats and best schools are key criteria ... I am searching on internet and getting different advices .. Any parents whi can help ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area