Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 09:29 PM

7 posts, read 20,272 times

Advertisements

So we are considering a move to the Redmond area, of course to take a job with Microsoft, and are very excited about it. I've visited the Seattle area several times and love it. Also, I've followed a lot of the threads about moving to this area, so have some ideas about the schools, layout of the towns, etc.

My question is more about the social feel of the schools and communties. Which would you say is the friendliest, most welcoming? We have lived in one area where the schools were excellent but very cliquish -- lots of the parents had known each other for years, so had the kids, very hard for new people to work into the group, both for the kids and the parents. Also, my son deals with ADD and this school was not at all helpful about that -- they just wanted high STAR test scores, period. Also, this school was extremely sports oriented -- the kids were either jocks or second class citizens. My own kids play soccer, but are much more interested in music, theater, the sciences. We moved to another school, also good academically but very different social atmosphere, we found it very easy to fit in, make new friends, and the school really emphasized arts and music, had a great math team and lego robotics team which our kids loved. My general imipression of the Redmond area is that it is pretty friendly, but i'd like to hear anybody's experiences, positive or negative, in this respect. We've learned that sometimes communities just a few miles apart can have a very different vibe, so i would love to hear anybody's impressions here! Can't wait to hear your thoughts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 11:03 PM

615 posts, read 1,075,496 times
I don't think there's much of a difference in culture anywhere in that area. The eastside (east of seattle) is pretty much all the same culture, except for the Bellevue crossroads area which is highly immigrant.

Old 03-16-2012, 12:41 AM

1,677 posts, read 6,853,558 times
My husband just took a job at Microsoft. We lived in the Issaquah Highlands for 3 years, and we didn't find it to be a very friendly neighborhood.

We just bought a house in Duvall, and the people in town are super friendly.

My son is autistic, and so far, we're really pleased with the services he's receiving from the school district (of course he's only been there about 2 weeks now).

V. =)

Old 03-16-2012, 03:40 AM

127 posts, read 401,405 times
We're just about to buy a house in Klahanie/Issaquah which is a master planned community with lakes, swimming pools and trails etc. I am hoping it will be a friendly place ... it does appear to be so on our many visits.

Old 03-16-2012, 06:06 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AddyLaddy View Post
We're just about to buy a house in Klahanie/Issaquah which is a master planned community with lakes, swimming pools and trails etc. I am hoping it will be a friendly place ... it does appear to be so on our many visits.
I think you will be happy with Klahanie, they do have a real sense of community there, as does some of the areas of Sammamish. All of the schools on the Plateau, whether in Issaquah or Lake Washington District are great.

Old 03-16-2012, 09:04 AM

1,930 posts, read 6,535,543 times
I agree with the comment that the Eastside has a very similar feel. Many people out here are not from Seattle originally. Lots of transplants coming to town to work for Microsoft, Amazon, etc. We love the Pine Lake area in Sammamish. We live in area with a bunch of kids so it was not hard for my kids to meet other kids to play with. I also have friends that live in Trossachs, Klahanie and Issaquah Highlands and love it too. I made a big effort to jump in and meet people and join things like a Bible Study, a gym, put my kids in various activities, etc. My kids were also 4 and 7 when we moved here so they are more mobile at that age and not so tied to a schedule so it was easy to join things and meet people. It's not always easy to move and you have to put yourself out there and not get your feelings hurt easily when it doesn't work out. People are busy these days and don't always have time to make friends, even when they'd like to. It's kind of the state of our society. Give yourself time to adjust to wherever you land and keep a smile on your face! I think you will like Redmond just fine!

Last edited by texastrigirl; 03-16-2012 at 09:23 AM..

Old 03-16-2012, 10:37 AM

507 posts, read 1,668,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allyarendt View Post
the kids were either jocks or second class citizens.
if you referred to them as second class citizens I am not surprised they weren't very friendly....

Old 03-16-2012, 02:28 PM

Oh, no, we didn't refer to our own kids or anybody else as second class citizens. But we (and several other parents) felt that school social lines divided that way, and there were just not as many activities offered for kids who were into, say, music. At the school we are at now, which we love, they have such a wide range of extracurricular activities that every kid gets a chance to shine. One boy we know who made the same school change we did has Asperger's and had been picked on at the previous school. Here, he has become the star of the math team and band and has a lot of friends. This is the kind of environment we'd love.

Old 03-16-2012, 02:34 PM

Thanks, Veronika! It really helps to know the services have been great so far for your son. Overall, this seems like a fantastic area.

Old 03-16-2012, 09:51 PM

1,930 posts, read 6,535,543 times
Veronika - Based on your previous posts over the past few years, I thought you loved IH? No? Glad you found a place in WA to call home. Welcome back!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area