Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 03:35 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,339,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Which is stupid, because most of those leaving California are usually educated, middle-class Caucasians who are not in anyway "identifiable" until they tell you where they are from. While I know it has driven up RE values, the Northeasterners come with the same amount of equity, and most of them seek to replicate the more serene middle-class lifestyle they once knew...be it in SEA or DEN, or anywhere else in the West. Neither California's rich/upper middle class nor their gang-bangers are leaving for other places, for the most part. It's sad that California's most "middle of the bell shaped curve" folks are getting such ridiculous treatment, wherever it occurs.
There's one sure fire way to identify a Californian without them saying it. Putting the word "the" in front of the freeway number. It's only done in California, maybe even only in Southern California. ...So if you're trying to blend in, don't say " I took the 5 to get here." Say things like " I love soy lattes." or "sunshine is really overrated" or " This place used to be heaven on earth before the Californians came", and if they ask where you're from, pick out some obscure town nobody's ever hear of. " I grew up in Pysht."

Old 03-20-2012, 03:37 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,369,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
It's only done in California, maybe even only in Southern California. ...So if you're trying to blend in, don't say " I took the 5 to get here."
Not to worry. It was 5, 90, 405, and 520, without the preceding article, the first week I got there.

Old 03-20-2012, 04:53 PM

195 posts, read 377,777 times
Quote:
There's one sure fire way to identify a Californian without them saying it. Putting the word "the" in front of the freeway number. It's only done in California, maybe even only in Southern California. ...So if you're trying to blend in, don't say " I took the 5 to get here." Say things like " I love soy lattes." or "sunshine is really overrated" or " This place used to be heaven on earth before the Californians came", and if they ask where you're from, pick out some obscure town nobody's ever hear of. " I grew up in Pysht."
Heh heh heh, just moved here from LA and I continue to say "The 5" just to irritate my local friends.

So far (with the exception of a bunch of art students that wouldn't let me into the elevator with them downtown ), everyone has been super super friendly.

We've met people wine tasting, at the space needle, at the supermarket and everyone has been super-nice.

The drivers are kind of wimpy though...

Old 03-20-2012, 05:00 PM

86 posts, read 238,878 times
Seattle people are mainly wishy washy.
They are very click-ish and most are self centered with attitudes that they are highly important over everyone and rude drivers as well.

I think its mainly from lack of sun that does it.

Old 03-20-2012, 05:08 PM

1,717 posts, read 4,650,101 times
Quote:
There's one sure fire way to identify a Californian without them saying it. Putting the word "the" in front of the freeway number.
Yep, it's automatic.

Old 03-20-2012, 05:10 PM

1,717 posts, read 4,650,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Uhm, wait a minute, what am I missing here ? He insulted the woman, not the PO worker.
Actually he insulted both.The job description comment was a shot at the postal worker as well.

Old 03-20-2012, 05:56 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,359,565 times
I'm a Midwesterner and will agree Seattleites are mostly polite, and not outwardly friendly on the whole, unless you engage them in doing something outdoorsy or maybe at a Sounders game, or go to one of their meetup.com meets.

In Chicago, where I grew up, a new family moved in when I was living there. The whole block came by with food and drinks and we shared stories and welcomed them into the neighborhood, got to know them, and have kids play with other kids. We had block parties. We knew our neighbors and one in particular became almost a surrogate dad when mine basically went off the deep end and married a cheating *****.

Here... not so much. Have a friend who recently sold his house after living here 20 years. He never knew his neighbors, even when he had kids. He figured in case of emergency like a fire, someone would notice. Double rainbow wow.

Old 03-20-2012, 06:07 PM

96 posts, read 205,958 times
I want to live in the kind of neighborhood you described where there were block parties. I am from the midwest - Cincinnati - and longed for that when I was there. I know there are some neighborhoods like that and some where the associations try to foster a sense of community, but I think it's very rare. It seems most people, living in all parts of the U.S., are too busy, work too much, are on the internet too much...to find time to actually talk to their neighbors. We didn't take the job opportunity in Seattle and instead took a job in Florida. (Not MY choice!) We're house shopping and finding the perfect neighborhood is of utmost importance. We want our kids to grow up in what you described. I hope we find it. Although, with as transient as Florida is we'd be going to 'welcoming the neighbor' parties weekly. Lol!

Old 03-20-2012, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Loney View Post
Actually he insulted both.The job description comment was a shot at the postal worker as well.
Hardly. He laughed and then was great when he helped me with my transaction. It only goes to show that you, being a Seattlite, would also take it that way. Everyone that laughed must have been a transplant, including the postal worker.

Last edited by robertpolyglot; 03-20-2012 at 06:28 PM..

Old 03-20-2012, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
Here... not so much. Have a friend who recently sold his house after living here 20 years. He never knew his neighbors, even when he had kids. He figured in case of emergency like a fire, someone would notice.
Why am I not surprised? I grew up in a middle-class suburb of 1500 to 2000 s.f. stucco 1-story and some 2-story homes in the close-in greater LA area. We moved several times, since my parents moved us overseas and back a few times. Therefore, with subsequent purchases, we lived enough streets away that the neighbors were a completely different batch. In EVERY instance, we knew almost all the neighbors. We knew all their quirks. People walked their dogs and would stop to talk, sometimes winding up in my parents' breakfast nook, and would sometimes just drop in for the heck of it, and vice-versa. Lots of people sat out on their porches most evenings, or had the door open beyond the screen door. I think it had to do with the awesome weather. I think that this is NORMAL for most American single family neighborhoods, even in big cities. I could see this being the norm in Chicago and Queens, NY, too, for example. And this was LA, the city that Seattle loves to bash the most.

Sidebar: a native NWer neighbor of my parents wound up moving to the greater Palm Springs area because of marriage. What a contrast. I doubt anybody will play the "oh, you're from the PNW" card on her. She's never lived outside the PNW and has already assimilated to the area, made a lot of friends, and told my Mom that she doesn't plan to leave that area. I'd also bet she's a lot less stiff than she used to be.

Last edited by robertpolyglot; 03-20-2012 at 06:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area