Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 12:02 AM

56 posts, read 142,824 times

Advertisements

I've been a couple of earthquakes out here, including the 2001 quake, and it was not that bad at all. I was sitting in class (college), it wasn't even enough to cancel my math class. We just went right on with the lesson.

I would say the Eastside would be a good choice for you. Great schools, nice neighborhoods, and you'll find that in general, there are a lot of Asians in Seattle and surrounding areas (not sure about how many Chinese), so you should feel pretty comfortable I think. Lots of Asian grocery stores to shop at (I'm Korean, and when I lived in Missouri, it was really hard to find the specialty food items I needed, and I had to drive nearly an hour to get what I needed, but that is definitely not a problem out here).

I would recommend Bellevue, Redmond, or Woodinville, though I hear Issaquah and Samammish are nice too.

If you are looking for more of a "city" feel, Bellevue might be a better fit. Some parts of the Eastside can feel a little bit rural, LOL! (I live in Redmond, and I definitely pass a sheep pasture and a red barn with a silo on the way to my son's school. Once, we were stuck driving behind a slow moving tractor LOL)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2012, 12:44 AM

304 posts, read 869,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susanok View Post
Yes, now I believe almost everywhere in US has hazard nature. Why I never worried about the nature can kill us when I was in China? The place I grew up, l lived there 40 years ,now I realize it is such a good place, safe! Maybe I need move back
Nature might not kill you in China, but the government will.

jk I actually would love to visit China

Old 03-27-2012, 10:26 AM

1,995 posts, read 3,371,134 times
You might consider Mercer Island as well. The schools are great and it is a short commute to Seattle and/or Bellevue.

Old 03-19-2013, 01:10 AM

2 posts, read 2,320 times
Bellevue area has very good schools, its is clean, safe, modern and about 30% Asian.

Old 03-19-2013, 01:10 PM

1,979 posts, read 3,518,114 times
I have a feeling you might like Shoreline, which is easy commuting distance to Seattle, has good schools, and has affordable housing.

Note that I think the housing costs will be quite a shock to you coming from Oklahoma.

Old 05-27-2013, 11:49 AM

6 posts, read 8,514 times
Big earthquakes come relatively infrequently. But the region gets a 7+ quake every 100 years. We are due for one anytime.
Volcanoes are not an issue in Seattle area. Rainier is inactive and if it does erupt its plume will probably go east and not affect Seattle.
The east side very diverse with a large Asian population. For good schools go to Bellevue or Redmond. All of the high schools in Bellevue are excellent. Seattle schools are always in trouble...funding, teacher morale, quality.

Old 05-27-2013, 09:05 PM

7 posts, read 9,678 times
The only really serious weather concern is flooding, but that only happens in high-risk areas, such as along the Snohomish River. Just do your research to make sure the property is not in a floodzone before you buy, unless you're planning to get a place on a hill.

HOWEVER, don't live on too steep of a hill, because that can be a hazard when it snows. Driving on flat areas is not so difficult in snow. But there are a lot of hills around here, including steep ones. It usually only snows for a week once a year, but if it snows while you're away from home, you may find that your car cannot get up the hill. Then you have to either find a hotel, or park at the bottom of the hill and walk up the hill to your house. The infrastructure around here is not good for snow, and schools tend to be closed. Another but rarer issue for living on a hill: mudslides. These are not common, but they are more common than earthquakes. I do not recommend getting a house that is close to a steep hill, because after a big rain a house sometimes comes down a mudslide.

Someone mentioned wind. That's usually only a worry if you live in an area with a lot of tall trees, particularly cottonwood trees (they are fragile) and hemlock trees (they have shallow roots). Occasionally a tree will fall on a house or car, or over a street. Even with other trees, branches can fall on the power lines and make the power go out. This is usually a minor inconvenience, though if there is a windstorm that lasts several days, it can be a nuisance and means lots of work to clean up your yard.

There may be an earthquake mentioned in the news maybe once a year. People usually don't feel them. I think the last earthquake I felt was the Nisqually Earthquake in 2001. It's nothing like in California. Earthquakes are nowhere near as much a worry as icy roads or falling trees. Just make sure your house is structurally sound, and that your bookshelves are bolted to the walls, and your fragile items won't easily fall.

If you are concerned about volcano eruptions, the only worry is Mt. Rainier. Here is a mudflow map:

http://vulcan.wr.usgs.gov/Imgs/Gif/R...r_mudflows.gif
Volcanoes here don't spew lava (so far), only mud from the snow melting. Stay away from the mudflow zones, and you shouldn't have to worry. As you can see, the Enumclaw valley is at the biggest risk.

I'm afraid I don't know much about the different school systems here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area