U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2012, 08:43 PM

76 posts, read 200,206 times

Advertisements

Hi all:

How safe is Central District? What are the good and the Bad in that neighborhood?

Particularly I'm looking at buying a townhouse on 17th Ave between Union and Cherry. Is it an up and coming neighborhood, or is it going down hill?

thanks.

CS
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2012, 08:58 PM

1,632 posts, read 3,517,446 times
The farther you are from 23rd, toward Capitol Hill, the better. I would think that's a pretty good area.

Old 03-24-2012, 12:19 AM

9,638 posts, read 24,981,736 times
I wouldn't do it, especially if I were planning to live in the townhouse. Why? Not so much because it is or isn't a dangerous neighborhood, but because you don't know the neighborhood, and buying in a place you're not familiar with and might regret could be a very costly mistake. I've lived in the Central District in a couple of different locations, including 14th and Spring. Pluses? Convenient to downtown, close to Capitol Hill, not too far from Madrona and Lake Washington. Might be a lower cost townhome.
Cons: It may be an improving neighborhood, but closer to Cherry is worse than closer to Union, and the townhome is, maybe between Marion and Columbia? Neighborhood's a little run down. Crime is better than it used to be, but still a "transitional" neighborhood. Maybe I'd rent first to see how I felt about the neighborhood, or use the "neighborhood review contingency" when you put in your offer, and go there late on a Friday or Saturday night. If it doesn't feel right, pull the offer. A few blocks north is much nicer.

Old 03-24-2012, 03:07 AM

2,958 posts, read 11,838,922 times
I've always found that strange, Ira. "A few blocks north is much nicer" as though undesirable elements from a nearby area somehow never manage to find their way to streets a few blocks away? Very strange the way people divvy up neighborhoods.

Like White Center. North of Roxbury=good. South of Roxbury=bad. As though the perceived nogoodniks south of Roxbury stay on their side of the dividing line?

Neighborhood perception is a strange beast.

Old 03-24-2012, 08:32 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
34,085 posts, read 61,991,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
I've always found that strange, Ira. "A few blocks north is much nicer" as though undesirable elements from a nearby area somehow never manage to find their way to streets a few blocks away? Very strange the way people divvy up neighborhoods.

Like White Center. North of Roxbury=good. South of Roxbury=bad. As though the perceived nogoodniks south of Roxbury stay on their side of the dividing line?

There will be some spillover at times, but that's generally true. For example in Belltown, Pine Street between first and 5th is always full of unpleasant activity and crime. Just 2-3 blocks from there on Elliot near Bell it's nice, peaceful and quiet. I cannot explain it, but going through there twice a day or more at different times that's the way it is.

Old 03-24-2012, 10:49 AM

1,632 posts, read 3,517,446 times
Quote:

And, less than a mile from Rainier Beach are some of the nicest homes in all of Seattle.

Old 03-24-2012, 01:05 PM

Quote:

I actually prefer south of Roxbury in White Center. That's where all the fun is. Yes, neighborhood perception is a strange beast. I used to live on 28th, just off of Yesler, a neighborhood almost universally thought of as "ghetto", and I was very well aware that there were crack dealers living on my block. Still, nothing ever happened. I asked my next door neighbor why the block seemed so safe to us, despite criminals living just a few doors away. He claimed that the nogoodniks don't crap in their own backyard.
I don't know what it is. when I lived at 17th and Denny on Capitol Hill, it was fine. But East Cherry always seemed to put out a creepy vibe in parts.

Old 08-03-2013, 03:27 PM

1 posts, read 7,494 times
My husband and I are planning to move to Seattle, and are going to visit soon to look at apartments. One apartment building we are considering is on East Yesler Way between 20th and 21st Avenues. How safe would you say that location is?

From what I understand the Central District is getting safer lately. What are your thoughts?

Keep in mind these questions are being asked by someone who is used to city neighborhoods that are a bit rough. (I grew up in NYC in the 1980's.)

Old 08-03-2013, 05:16 PM
fnh

2,735 posts, read 3,218,830 times
The Central District has changed so much in the last two decades, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone at this point, even families with children. (Like us!) Especially if you grew up in NYC, you will hardly find that location rough. You're right across from Pratt Park where there are lots of families and dog walkers out. Broadcast Coffee is a great little coffee house on the corner.

Old 08-03-2013, 06:36 PM

Yesler Way has character and nice views, of Elliott Bay headed west, and Lake Washington headed east. It's hilly. Convenient location. Cheeky Café at 17th and Jackson is particularly good for a meal, there's vegetarian Vietnamese at20th th and Jackson, and good BBQ at 17th and Yesler. Walkable to Chinatown/Little Saigon. Less than a mile from three or four Ethiopian restaurants. Madrona is super close for more places to dine and drink. Even the heart of the beast, Capitol Hill, is only two miles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: