Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 06:07 PM

1,696 posts, read 5,191,408 times

Advertisements

How long did you stay unemployed when you first moved to Seattle. I read unemployment is pretty high rite now in Seattle. So lets hear some of your war stories about when you first arrived in Seattle and went looking for a job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2007, 08:42 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,698,457 times
I had a job immediately - really fast. It was a contractor job at Microsoft, there seems to be a ton of jobs as contractors

But I disliked it greatly and left after 6 weeks (and finding a brand new job)

I had three job offers within two weeks of each other.

I think it depends on the industry you are in.

Old 05-23-2007, 10:44 PM

7 posts, read 48,954 times
no job lined up here. i am going to work long distance with my current job on the east coast for a few months, so that will give me a little time to try and find something myself. i'm working as a graphic designer, so i'm hoping to find something relatively soon?

Old 05-23-2007, 11:03 PM
x4fscvdvd

n/a posts
I am moving to Seattle without a job in a week, but I am confident I'll get a job fast. I'll post my results here.

Old 05-24-2007, 11:42 AM

27 posts, read 176,353 times
What about low paying jobs? I'm also considering moving to Seattle with no job. I have a degree in Education but it is a very overcrowded subject area and I don't expect to find a job right away. I'm not above waiting tables or even scrubbing toilets until something better comes along.

Old 05-24-2007, 11:46 AM
x4fscvdvd

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis1077 View Post
What about low paying jobs? I'm also considering moving to Seattle with no job. I have a degree in Education but it is a very overcrowded subject area and I don't expect to find a job right away. I'm not above waiting tables or even scrubbing toilets until something better comes along.
I think if you are open to anything you will have no problem finding a job.

Old 05-24-2007, 12:07 PM

27 posts, read 176,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowXOR View Post
I think if you are open to anything you will have no problem finding a job.
The plan is to come with lots of savings, establish residency, begin grad school, find a teacher job. I don't mind living in a crawl space of an apartment and being poor. If I can afford a few beers on my day off I'm happy.

Old 05-24-2007, 12:29 PM
x4fscvdvd

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis1077 View Post
The plan is to come with lots of savings, establish residency, begin grad school, find a teacher job. I don't mind living in a crawl space of an apartment and being poor. If I can afford a few beers on my day off I'm happy.
You're a lot better off than me! I'm going up there with very little savings and no job, but I'm confident I can snag something decent to hold me over until I find a real job.

Old 05-24-2007, 12:52 PM

30 posts, read 203,825 times
Hubby and I are going up with neither of us having jobs, but substantial savings. I plan to do temp office work until he gets a whatever job so we can qualify for an apartment.

Then he can get a real job..and I can quit the temp job.

Old 05-24-2007, 01:03 PM
x4fscvdvd

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerouskurvz View Post
Hubby and I are going up with neither of us having jobs, but substantial savings. I plan to do temp office work until he gets a whatever job so we can qualify for an apartment.

Then he can get a real job..and I can quit the temp job.
If you show them that you have enough savings to pay for the entire time you are leasing it they will let you move in based purely on savings, but you must have enough to cover the entire lease, but you don't give it to them, you just pay monthly as usual.

I couldn't find a great way to put that, I hope you understood what I meant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area