Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2016, 07:46 PM

1 posts, read 4,039 times

Advertisements

I was recently hired and I am likely going to accept my offer tomorrow. Should I accept, I will be moving to Seattle myself and my spouse will continue to live across the country for the next two years due to the nature of their work. How is occasional telecommuting viewed at Amazon? Does it make sense to set the expectation with my manager now that I would like 1 week to telecommute every 1-2 months?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2016, 11:33 AM

2,064 posts, read 4,433,613 times
This depends 100% on the team. Your manager and group might be cool with it although I can almost guarantee that they won't be cool with it at the start. But if you're a top performer and you have built a lot of trust with the team, it will go a long way into making it ok.

In general, Amazon (and most high performing big tech companies these days) don't really have as much of a telecommuting culture as most people think. Sure, if an engineer works from home every now and then it's not a big deal but at least in my time at big tech companies, it's rare to have someone work remotely 1 week a month or even 1 week every other month. It's more common to have someone work remotely 1 day every other week or so (every week is pushing it). So you can probably go home and wfh on monday or friday without too much hassle.

If this is really important to you (make or break the deal), I would consider bringing it up so that there are no unpleasant surprises. It also depends on the role (if you're a manager (TPM, SDM, etc.) then it is less likely that you can work remotely - engineers and individual contributors can work remotely more easily).

And I know that nobody thinks this applies to them but average tenure at Amazon is still much shorter than 2 years. But then again, many marriages end in divorce yet we still get married so I understand that you can't walk in thinking you're going to leave.

Good luck! Sorry if I am being a bit of a downer.

Old 02-05-2016, 10:59 AM

159 posts, read 185,508 times
How‘s office and the people there? Is it as bad as some make it to be? Especially with the 2 year turn around I keep reading about.

Just applied and wanting to see the usual time it takes to be contacted. I.gather they will keep my application and resume on deck.

Old 02-05-2016, 01:09 PM

1 posts, read 3,529 times
Hi guys!

I had onsite group interview for SDE position almost 3 weeks back. I haven't heard back from the recruiter yet. Does that mean I am not selected? I saw in one of the discussion forums that if we are selected we will hear back within 3 days. I tried mailing my recruiter but I got an automated response stating that he is not available for a week. My status in the career page is "under review".

Please let me know what you think

Old 02-08-2016, 01:45 PM

268 posts, read 1,133,150 times
My question is for all the candidates who recently got an offer or in the process & to RVD90277

How long does it take to get the actual offer (figures) after you have been said that Amazon is extending an offer for the "X" position?

Recruiter told me(3 days back) that they are offering a position and it will take some time to get an offer put together but I haven't heard back from them yet. I tried to reach him but no response! The reason I can't wait is because I have 3 other pending offers and I need to make a decision ASAP. Little bit frustrated.

Is that normal? Does Amazon take some time to come-up with a figure after they make a decision?

Thanks in advance.

Old 02-08-2016, 04:01 PM

Never mind, I just got the official offer letter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadcoder View Post
My question is for all the candidates who recently got an offer or in the process & to RVD90277

How long does it take to get the actual offer (figures) after you have been said that Amazon is extending an offer for the "X" position?

Recruiter told me(3 days back) that they are offering a position and it will take some time to get an offer put together but I haven't heard back from them yet. I tried to reach him but no response! The reason I can't wait is because I have 3 other pending offers and I need to make a decision ASAP. Little bit frustrated.

Is that normal? Does Amazon take some time to come-up with a figure after they make a decision?

Thanks in advance.

Old 02-08-2016, 07:30 PM

159 posts, read 185,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadcoder View Post
Never mind, I just got the official offer letter.

so u made it!! congrats

Old 02-08-2016, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legacy Bear View Post
so u made it!! congrats
Thanks but I need to turn down the offer ... It's way to lower than my other offers. I really liked the team

Old 02-10-2016, 02:35 PM

34 posts, read 90,983 times
for those who were approached on LinkedIn, once you responded to the recruiter with your resume, how long did you have to wait until he/she responded and set up a time for a phone discussion to review the position?

Old 02-10-2016, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroka View Post
for those who were approached on LinkedIn, once you responded to the recruiter with your resume, how long did you have to wait until he/she responded and set up a time for a phone discussion to review the position?
Within a day or two...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area