Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2016, 08:49 PM

6 posts, read 24,161 times

Advertisements

x
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecentInterview View Post
I would take that as a good sign - definitely better than a rejection.

I had my on-site for an in-house position several days after you, felt very good about it (though that seems to be the story on here), and have heard nothing for coming up on two weeks, even after a polite email checking in for feedback.

Is it normal to just have complete silence from the recruiter? I am fairly certain that is a very negative sign and I will not be getting an offer but just wanted to see if other people had been completely ignored or if they eventually got a "thanks but no thanks" call or email. Would like to have some closure here.

Thanks!
In my experience, the recruiter got back to me in his/her own time. I emailed him/her a couple times too.

My first time, I wanted to get an idea of when I would hear back about when my in-house interview might be. A few days later, he/she emailed me details about my in-house interview date with no mention of my previous email.

My second time was the day after my in-house interview, and I wanted to know when I might expect to hear back. No reply. I received a call a week and a half later about the results.

From what I understand, they are suppose to get back to you no matter if they offer you the position or not. Hang in there :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2016, 08:58 PM

27 posts, read 95,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechNerd View Post
UPDATE: Interestingly, I received good AND bad news from one of the recruiters...

The Good: So the recruiter said that my in-house interviews went really well as the interviewers thought I was the perfect fit for the position and team.

The Bad: HOWEVER, the position I applied for was filled (they had several they needed to fill).

I was told that when a similar position is requested to fill (they will continue to expand the team over the next 6 months), I would be the first know.

Has anyone ever heard of this? Does this happen often?

Thanks!

TN

That's weird. What position is it ? For tech positions, it looks like they are hiring a lot and there should be a similar one open in the same group if not the team itself.

Old 02-19-2016, 04:00 PM

2 posts, read 6,541 times
I did an onsite with Amazon recently and felt I melted down as the day went on.

Really bummed about it because I nailed the first few hours, but ended up dropping the ball during the last interview.

The format didn't match much of what you read on websites. I wouldn't rely on them since it seems there are no clear standards between teams.

I'm still bummed about it but whatever, The opportunity came out of the blue and it'll go back in to the ether.

Good city though, lots of construction going on.

Old 02-19-2016, 05:17 PM

52 posts, read 236,736 times
Can I ask how it was different than what you've read online Singular? And was this tech or non-tech?

Old 02-19-2016, 11:37 PM

2 posts, read 6,541 times
Tech

I don't want to go in to specifics due to NDA, but overall it was more behavioral, less tech. I expected a lot, but some of the people were really really bad interviewers compared to the other "big" companies. I get what they're trying to do, but it's like they're following a script rather than putting thought in to the process and were unnecessarily averse to answering clarifying questions because "that's what we do here" rather than understanding that there was originally a reason to be ambiguous.

I had three great interviewers and two really really bad ones.

I dropped the ball on one because I got frustrated over spending 15 minutes trying to clarify the problem from a guy I could hardly understand because he was talking realllllly quitely in a thick accent.

I doubt some would pass their own interviews.

I don't know how long a company can survive with that sort of negative interview loop, but I made sure to fill in the questionnaire after getting home.

My advice if you really want a job at Amazon? LinkedIn your interviewers and bow out or ask to change the date if any red flags come up. You get there names pretty late in the cycle though, so I'm not sure this is a possibility.

Algorithms and data structures are easy, but wasting your time because the interviewer makes bad assumptions and refuses to clarify problems in an understandable way....

Bad form. Makes me feel like crap to this day.

I haven't heard back in a few weeks - which is why I came across this thread. Pretty sure I wouldn't accept it anyway, at least not with that team.

Old 02-20-2016, 02:01 PM

Thank you - very helpful insight! I've heard interview loop horror stories but was never sure how or in what capacity. I'm not actively job hunting but would be non-tech, so that is kind of worrisome that they aren't great at that style.

Old 02-20-2016, 02:05 PM

Side note from anyone who is working with Amazon - do they ask for references before an offer is extended or after as just more of a confirmation of current performance? From what I've been told, I hear now it's more common for companies who are asking after so was just curious how they worked (this seems different even from a few years ago when I got my current job). I'm not actively looking but kind of poking my nose around and don't want to jeopardize anything should I start interviewing.

Old 02-20-2016, 08:56 PM

6 posts, read 24,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnotherGuy89 View Post
That's weird. What position is it ? For tech positions, it looks like they are hiring a lot and there should be a similar one open in the same group if not the team itself.
It was for a tech position (testing). I hope they will get back to me soon :-)

Old 02-21-2016, 07:04 AM

34 posts, read 91,036 times
update 2: the recruiter disappeared again, so I reached out on linked to who I thought would be the hiring manager.

I hit it right first time. It appears the position was filled internally and they circulated my resume with multiple hiring managers in their org to give me some visibility.

Conclusion: if the recruiter is not responsive, go and talk to the hiring manger / his manager and just be polite and try to work with them. I treat them like if they were my colleagues already. If I get a good vibe, it's an indication I could work with them. This was the case for me this time around.

If you don't get a good vibe from this interaction during the recruiting stage, I would advise to anyone to move on and forget about them.

Old 02-21-2016, 03:05 PM

3,662 posts, read 2,943,593 times
I remembered last year when Amazon was so stuck up on hiring warehouse workers they forced " grunts" to do mental game interviews on computer 1st to screen people out. Things like situational puzzles to how you would deal with others, problems. There were a lot of good people at these hiring fairs. I was knocked out cause I got sick of the questions and answered any old thing.

Flip it one year and now AMZN will hire any stiff out there to do there warehouse work cause people have wised up this company is a last resort. At least for labor work that is, maybe you white collar types are treated like kings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area