Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2017, 06:33 PM

129 posts, read 224,220 times

Advertisements

Hi. I've read through a few pages of this thread and tried to do a search as well, but did not find the information I was looking for so hopefully someone here can help.

First, my question: I received a message from the recruiter today (Friday) asking if I have time on Monday next week to discuss my onsite interview (Monday this week). I find this very cryptic. If I was successful, wouldn't they just tell me the news today so I could enjoy my weekend. If I wasn't successful, shouldn't they just tell me now instead of letting agonize over the whole weekend? Has anyone gone through this before and tell me what their result was or Amazon's rationale for this approach?

My interview experience:
I did a shotgun approach on the website and applied to quite a few roles, some of which I was qualified for and some of which was a stretch. I received an email from a recruiter a few weeks ago, missed his first email, and then received a second email from him to follow up. We had a brief informational phone call which wasn't an interview, but basically just him describing the role and Amazon culture. A week after that, I had an Excel test followed by a phone interview with one of the hiring managers. A couple days after that, I received an email inviting me for an onsite interview. I found the entire process quite smooth, though a little stressful as the person who was supposed to prepare me for the Monday onsite did not contact me until Friday and I did not received travel arrangements until Thursday. They are quite generous with the per diem for the interview travel/transportation/food. Office I visited was a little dark/depressing. I guess it goes with their culture of frugality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2017, 10:11 AM

5 posts, read 34,419 times
What position did you apply for ? How was your bar-raiser interview ?

Old 02-18-2017, 05:05 PM

My bar raiser interview went well, but I'd say I was a little weaker during my time with the hiring managers.

Old 02-18-2017, 07:03 PM

then you must have cleared Amazon culture fit round. they might be looking for other opportunities for you. You didn't answer for what position ? And, if you can share your interview experience , some sample questions. I have onsite next month..

Old 02-20-2017, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak215 View Post
then you must have cleared Amazon culture fit round. they might be looking for other opportunities for you. You didn't answer for what position ? And, if you can share your interview experience , some sample questions. I have onsite next month..
I'd rather not say as it's quite niche. As for questions, most were in line with the ones you would find on Glassdoor.

Old 02-21-2017, 12:42 PM

11 posts, read 59,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AD1987 View Post
Hi,

I had my final rounds of interviews at Amazon (Seattle, WA) on 9th Feb. Recruiter emailed me on Wednesday to set up a time to talk. I just got off the phone with her. She told me that she had both good and bad news for me. She said the interviewers thought I would be a great fit for Amazon, just not for the role I had interviewed for. She told me the interviewers had determined that I would be best suited for another level role which they did not have open on their team at the moment. She asked if I would be interested in being considered for the said role. She would now circulate my profile to various teams. She told me that I wouldn't have to go through any interviews again but would just have to go through a telephonic call with the new hiring manager to share information about the role.

I really don't know what to make of it. Whether to be happy or sad? Has anyone had an experience like this with Amazon? Do I have a realistic chance of getting hired at Amazon?

Regards.

In a nutshell- you passed the Bar Raisers but did not pass the hiring manager, for at least the level of the position you interviewed for. You need to find a position ASAP and work with your recruiter to get you in touch with the Recruiter and Hiring Manager for the new position.

The good news- You will probably not have to go through a full round of on site interviews.

The bad news- You still need to find where you will be a good fit- don't expect the recruiter to do this for you. They are overworked as is. Take a proactive approach and tell them what positions interest you (by Job Requisition number).

With any luck you will be fast tracked into a phone interview with a hiring manager and get an offer.

Good luck!

Old 02-21-2017, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRforHire View Post
In a nutshell- you passed the Bar Raisers but did not pass the hiring manager, for at least the level of the position you interviewed for. You need to find a position ASAP and work with your recruiter to get you in touch with the Recruiter and Hiring Manager for the new position.

The good news- You will probably not have to go through a full round of on site interviews.

The bad news- You still need to find where you will be a good fit- don't expect the recruiter to do this for you. They are overworked as is. Take a proactive approach and tell them what positions interest you (by Job Requisition number).

With any luck you will be fast tracked into a phone interview with a hiring manager and get an offer.

Good luck!
Agree the recruiters are already over-stretched as is. Mine was completely professional and polite but timeliness was a little lacking.

Old 02-21-2017, 06:01 PM

8 posts, read 22,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRforHire View Post

Good luck!
Hi,

Thank you for your reply! I had this telephonic call with my recruiter Friday evening and the very next morning she introduced me to a new recruiter. I just got off the phone with the new recruiter and he told me that his hiring manager had already seen my resume and was interested in me. He is going to schedule an informational call (light interview) with the hiring manager sometime this week and if the manager deems me a good fit for his team, I would then have a telephonic call with the team director. If both these calls go well, I shall receive an offer.

Old 02-21-2017, 08:11 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,702,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walch1007 View Post
I'd rather not say as it's quite niche. As for questions, most were in line with the ones you would find on Glassdoor.
Since you are talking about buying a house in Seattle, were you hired?

Old 02-21-2017, 09:08 PM

So, I got "not moving fwd" after second phone interview. Interview went fine but it seems I was bit nervous over phone. Now, I should not apply for 6 months or can apply for different positions right away ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area