Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2017, 02:39 PM

2 posts, read 11,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelawnwranglers View Post
not hold your breath and I guess wait?

could have had turnover with the person who was your HR contact. Might not have anything to tell you (no decision), although it seems the like to let you know in a week. Do you have other HR contacts?

PS Goodluck
I know, very likely it's going to be a no, but I just want to hear the decision from them.

In the last email, the recruiting coordinator cc'ed the other recruiter on the email and said should be in touch momentarily, but still have no response from them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2017, 06:02 AM

3 posts, read 14,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KilledByTheSuspension View Post
I know, very likely it's going to be a no, but I just want to hear the decision from them.

In the last email, the recruiting coordinator cc'ed the other recruiter on the email and said should be in touch momentarily, but still have no response from them.
I would prepare for the no, but something odd is happening because it sounds like they are usually fast. I don't think they would drag their feet if it was an easy no. Honestly, I would just ignore if they are responsive to your inquiry, but don't have an answer.

Old 03-10-2017, 04:44 PM

8 posts, read 22,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walch1007 View Post
Reach out to your recruiter and ask for a no bs assessment if they still think you're a good fit based on culture and qualifications. If it's a yes, then reach out to your recruiter for any roles posted which you think you would be a good fit for.

Oh, and brush up on your leadership principles as well as your technical skills. Obviously, something is missing from your formula so work on it. I always tied behavior questions as well as even off-hand questions back to the leadership principles. Technical questions were generally more enjoyable for me.
@Walch

Thank you for your reply! I spoke with my recruiter today and she has reached out to another hiring manager with my profile. She was actually quite shocked that the second hiring manager conducted a full-fledged telephonic screening for me. She apologized and said that it should have been just an informational call, nothing more, since my initial interviewers already recommended me as a great fit for a level 4 position. She said that she would make sure the next call I have with a hiring manager is just an informational one.

Old 03-10-2017, 05:56 PM

129 posts, read 224,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AD1987 View Post
@Walch

Thank you for your reply! I spoke with my recruiter today and she has reached out to another hiring manager with my profile. She was actually quite shocked that the second hiring manager conducted a full-fledged telephonic screening for me. She apologized and said that it should have been just an informational call, nothing more, since my initial interviewers already recommended me as a great fit for a level 4 position. She said that she would make sure the next call I have with a hiring manager is just an informational one.
If he was breaking the rules set out, probably a good thing he didn't hire you.

There was one guy in my interview loop who was the same. He frowned at everything I said and kept cutting me off mid-sentence as if I was giving him bad or long-winded answers, but he wasn't the bar raiser. He actually gave me good feedback. So he was intentionally being a hard-ass / jerk. I wouldn't want to work for someone like that.

Old 03-11-2017, 06:58 PM

1 posts, read 7,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KilledByTheSuspension View Post

I just finished my on-site interview for TPM position at AWS few weeks ago. Recruiter said regardless of what the decision is, I would hear back within 7 days. I didn't actually hear back until the evening of day 8 letting me know that I got the job.

Old 03-12-2017, 10:52 AM

129 posts, read 224,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigduffy View Post
I just finished my on-site interview for TPM position at AWS few weeks ago. Recruiter said regardless of what the decision is, I would hear back within 7 days. I didn't actually hear back until the evening of day 8 letting me know that I got the job.
Let us know if all the bad rumors about aws are true when you start

Old 03-13-2017, 11:42 AM

1 posts, read 7,828 times
Hello, I applied for a job position as an intern in the Editorial/Publishing division of Amazon Italy.
The status of my submission, after almost a month, changed from "Under review" to "Under consideration" but the withdraw button has disappeared. I have read somewhere that usually this is not a good sign but I would like to hear more from you.

I am italian and while I can imagine that the hiring process might be different for each country, I would like to understand if I have a chance of getting this internship.

Thank you for your kind reply!

Old 03-30-2017, 12:13 PM

18 posts, read 14,914 times
This forum was a huge help for me so I want to pay it forward by providing all the info I searched long and hard for. Sorry for the length, but wanted to be thorough! (Spoiler alert, it didn't work out for me, but I'm moving to Seattle in a few months anyway. I'll try again without relocation being a factor.)

I applied to a role online and about a month later I received an email from a recruiter to schedule a phone interview the first week in January. I didn’t speak on the phone with a recruiter at any point, and my first phone interview was directly with an Executive-level on the hiring team. I wish I had been better prepared to speak to him. About a week went by.

I got another email from a different recruiter letting me know I made it to a second round of phone interviews. This time it was with a senior level, and I was much more prepared. I was told the next round would either be more phone interviews or an on-site depending on how many people were still in the running. This time gap was over a week, and I started to sweat it. I sent a gentle follow-up to the recruiter.

The next day I received an invitation to come on-site. I sent my preferences for an interview date and I began to prepare extensively. This wait was also quite a long one; about a week and a half. I wasn’t sweating it as much because I knew I was already invited on-site, but the anticipation can make anyone a bit impatient. I got confirmation that my interview was in two weeks’ time.

How I prepared for the Loop: (STAR is also best for the phone interviews if you’re reading this in time to prepare for that)
1. STAR answers: I had two of these prepared to correlate to EACH of the 14 leadership principles. It’s very important not to repeat answers. RESULTS are particularly important in this exercise. Amazon is a data-driven company, so I had tangible numbers ready in cases where my work had measurable impact. The team appreciated this a lot.
2. Kool-Aid: Drink it. People will ask you why you want to work for Amazon, and you don’t want to sound either clueless or desperate. I studied Amazon’s leadership teams, I learned why they were innovative, and I understood how they personally contributed to Amazon’s success. I had a sales pitch ready for the products I’d be working with, and I also studied the latest news relevant to this team. Finally, I had a succinct reason why these things in particular motivated me to join this team.
3. Questions: It’s important to find out what you need to about the role, but I used this time to drive home the idea that I was there to help and to learn. Ask questions about how you’re expected to learn new things, how you can be challenged even after a few years on the team, and most importantly, how you would be the biggest help the person interviewing you if you were to join their team.

My loop started with a 1-hour self-led presentation of my work. The team did not give me a jumping-off point or an intro. I gave a quick intro to what I would present and invited the Amazonians to interrupt me at any time to ask questions or change gears. They did take me up on that, and interrupted often, but I was prepared to speak for a solid hour regardless. I made sure every project I presented subtly showcased one of the 14 leadership principles.

Each interview round differed. Some were more relaxed and wanted to get the STAR questions out of the way so we could chat, while others hardly left me a moment to breathe, with one difficult behavioral question on top of the next in rapid succession. I was well-prepared, and rarely needed time to think of an answer, which helped me keep my cool the whole time.

The Bar Raiser was my most relaxed round. It stood out, as everyone suggests, because the BR is someone from outside the team completely. Also, in my case, there were two of them. I put together pretty quickly that one of them was a BR-in-training. The BR round is all about STAR answers, a good personality, and general interview skills. If you’re well-prepared, I don’t think this round is as scary as some might suggest.

The Hiring Manager was my last round. He explained the ‘openings’ on the team, which were very cryptic since I wasn’t sure what levels of experience were needed for each. I was honest about which role/direction interested me the most (even if it meant it would be a harder role to get hired for.) I was asked to white board a very high-level and strategic brainstorming session, while he observed. It was pretty difficult, and in retrospect I would’ve approached it differently, but I improvised the best I could with confidence.

The recruiter told me I’d hear within about 5 business days (first week of March), since they were conducting more on-site interviews. He triple-checked that I would be willing to move to Seattle, and thanked me for making the trip to interview. I received an email that I didn't get the job on the 5th day. I do believe it's because they had me in mind for one area, and I expressed more interest in another, which I might not have been qualified for. I do believe I'm in the "fit for Amazon, not for the role" category.

TL;DR: I’m based on the East Coast, and I applied online. I had two phone interviews and one on-site interview. The whole process took about 2.5 months. I provided my advice for preparing, my wait times between steps, and the breakdown of my loop for those who are curious.

Old 04-06-2017, 08:06 PM

3 posts, read 20,551 times
I have browsed this forum the last few days but only after the interview onsite. The team I interviewed did not make an offer but the recruiter feels that I am a great fit for Amazon. The only catch is that they are offering one level lower which I think is not a correct evaluation of my skills.
Any ideas on how to fix this? Can I offer to do a full interview with the new team so that they can re-evaluate my fit? and perhaps I talk more about my managerial skills/more complexities in the interview?
Thoughts?

Old 04-07-2017, 04:29 AM

2 posts, read 13,662 times
Default Take the lower level if you want to work for Amazon

Quote:
Originally Posted by clansman81 View Post
I have browsed this forum the last few days but only after the interview onsite. The team I interviewed did not make an offer but the recruiter feels that I am a great fit for Amazon. The only catch is that they are offering one level lower which I think is not a correct evaluation of my skills.
Any ideas on how to fix this? Can I offer to do a full interview with the new team so that they can re-evaluate my fit? and perhaps I talk more about my managerial skills/more complexities in the interview?
Thoughts?

If you want to work for Amazon, take the lower level. You CAN'T negotiate to do a "full interview". Keep in mind, when you interview with one POD, the determination of your skill level is shared no matter where you go in Amazon. You can't skirt this system. You can end up biting yourself in the end, the rear end. What position did you apply for? I am assuming its an Operations Manager (L6) and they offered you Area Manager (L5). Is this correct? Amazon promotes pretty quickly if you are stellar on the job. I promoted a L4 to an L5 with only 4 months in the lower level. With that said, L5 to L6 is a much bigger jump but it can be done. Another insight, Amazon considers what your level was at your previous company and considers it a step lower at Amazon. For instance, if you were a Sr Ops at another company, you would be an Ops at Amazon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area