Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2017, 10:48 PM

240 posts, read 195,337 times

Advertisements

Need advise from folks here. I recently got an offer at Amazon in a Senior Program Manager role and need to give decision by Monday.. I was initially excited about Amazon based on the cutting edge work done on the E-Commerce area but now having second thoughts based on feedback from friends on online articles. They all have the same theme, it's a soul crushing experience with long hours/ weekend work and stressful environment. The feeling seems to resonate across all the groups across Amazon..

My wife and I thinking of settling down, buy a house, have a kid etc. So not sure if Amazon would be the right choice.. but at the same time the salary is 20% higher than my current one which helps in this crazy housing market. Thoughts from current or former employees?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2017, 02:27 PM

4 posts, read 24,043 times
Relocation package for L6/7 role, specifically a non-tech role... does this typically cover seller's fees for a current homeowner? Reason I ask is that the note I received from the recruiting team requesting additional details had a question asking specifically if I would need to sell a home.

Last edited by CODiver; 04-30-2017 at 02:37 PM..

Old 04-30-2017, 09:02 PM

2,064 posts, read 4,433,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CODiver View Post
Relocation package for L6/7 role, specifically a non-tech role... does this typically cover seller's fees for a current homeowner? Reason I ask is that the note I received from the recruiting team requesting additional details had a question asking specifically if I would need to sell a home.
no, it won't cover realtor fees or anything like that.

but the packages is different if you're a home owner vs a renter. a renter will include stuff like covering a penalty to break your lease, etc. a home owner will include longer corporate housing since it might take longer to sell a home than break out of your lease, etc.

Old 04-30-2017, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniquetraveler View Post
Need advise from folks here. I recently got an offer at Amazon in a Senior Program Manager role and need to give decision by Monday.. I was initially excited about Amazon based on the cutting edge work done on the E-Commerce area but now having second thoughts based on feedback from friends on online articles. They all have the same theme, it's a soul crushing experience with long hours/ weekend work and stressful environment. The feeling seems to resonate across all the groups across Amazon..

My wife and I thinking of settling down, buy a house, have a kid etc. So not sure if Amazon would be the right choice.. but at the same time the salary is 20% higher than my current one which helps in this crazy housing market. Thoughts from current or former employees?
this is really a personal decision that you need to make. the work environment is probably not going to be family friendly so your work/life balance probably won't be so good. but the pay is greater and at worst, having amazon on your resume does help and may help you achieve your long term goals (which may or may not be at amazon).

but if you value your work life balance, family, etc. and will be miserable taking conference calls at night, answering emails in the evening, being stressed out bc of many moving parts, etc. then it may not be for you.

Old 04-30-2017, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by id quid View Post
Just did a phone call with a manager for a senior marketing manager role. I think it went pretty well, so I'm looking further down the line in the process to start comparing the potential opportunity at Amazon against some other opportunities I'm pursuing now.

If you work for Amazon or worked there very recently, what are your thoughts on compensation aside from salary, RSUs, and bonuses? Things like vacation, sick leave, health insurance, holidays, etc. What's been your experience? Likes, dislikes?

Amazon would represent a big change for me, including relocation, so I'm trying to get a sense of whether the company would be a positive next step for me outside of just the role and the cash.
usually that other stuff is not so good. but it has gotten better. in recent years, amazon added a paternity leave policy. holidays are still probably much less than what you have now (i think there are 6 paid holidays per year so it's really just the core holidays - new years, memorial, independence, labor, thanksgiving, christmas)...no holidays like presidents day, veterans day, day after thanksgiving, mlk, etc.

i think health insurance is fine though.

Old 05-01-2017, 01:22 AM

6 posts, read 30,242 times
Hi guys! if the recruiter hasnt gotten back within 5 business days after the onsite interviews, does it mean i have a lesser chance of gwtting hired? as i was told that i would hear from them within 5 days.

on another note, i believe i may have had 2 bar raisers, is that possible? and how does it play out? i had a great convo with one, and had a miserable one with the other.

Thanks guys!

Old 05-01-2017, 09:12 AM

3 posts, read 10,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD90277 View Post
usually that other stuff is not so good. but it has gotten better. in recent years, amazon added a paternity leave policy. holidays are still probably much less than what you have now (i think there are 6 paid holidays per year so it's really just the core holidays - new years, memorial, independence, labor, thanksgiving, christmas)...no holidays like presidents day, veterans day, day after thanksgiving, mlk, etc.

i think health insurance is fine though.
Thanks. That's largely what I'd read, but it seemed to be non-office workers reporting for most of it so I wasn't sure if it was a company-wide issue.

It seems strange that Amazon would be so far behind other major tech companies for some of those benefits AND pay. Granted, I'd be leaving the Bay Area where there still seems to be a race to provide a home-away-from-home environment with benefits, but still: your average office worker gets at least all the major bank holidays, of which there are 10!

Do the schedules in office vary widely by department/manager? I'm talking the difference between a culture of clock-in/clock-out and a more flexible "get your stuff done, come in early, come late, whatever works."

Old 05-01-2017, 07:03 PM

4 posts, read 27,981 times
Talking Finally an offer!

Got an offer from Amazon!

After getting dinged with "fit for amazon, not for the role" after the first onsite, I consistently kept in touch with my recruiter by sending requisition numbers for positions I was interested in. Within two weeks, I got connected with a recruiter from another team. Another two weeks later, I was brought in for another onsite loop. Got a call just 2 days later with the news that that are moving forward with an offer!

Old 05-03-2017, 06:33 AM

4 posts, read 21,483 times
I had my third phone screen last friday after 1 HR, and 1 hiring manager. It's Wednesday and I haven't heard back. When should I expect to hear something back? Last time I spoke with the hiring manager on Friday and I heard back by Monday...

The system shows "reviewed, not selected". Is the status accurate? Any insights?

Old 05-03-2017, 08:37 AM

1 posts, read 3,265 times
I went through with my onsite interview loop on 05/01 for TPM position but did not hear anything back yet. Does it mean I am out of race?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area