Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2012, 03:17 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,356,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatania199 View Post
We live in a suburb of Bellevue called Somerset. The schools are fantastic and the proximity to everything is amazing, but we're still suburban enough to have a huge yard, super quiet neighborhood, lots of young families, etc.

My husband's vanpool leaves SLU at 5:30 and he's home by 6:10, at the latest.
Not to mention that Somerset has some pretty awesome views too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 05:20 PM

3 posts, read 15,458 times
I have heard about somerset, but not a lot of houses for sale or rent based on zillow. Looking for 3 or 4 br and below 2,500 / month for rent, or below $700k to buy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post

Old 08-28-2012, 05:22 PM

102 posts, read 275,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
Incredible. Best way to start the day - I drive my little one to school and turn around to a view of Seattle, Bellevue and Lake Washington all spread out in front of me. Never gets old.

If we stay in Seattle and buy here, it will be in this neighbourhood.

Old 08-29-2012, 07:19 PM

1,979 posts, read 3,528,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatania199 View Post
We live in a suburb of Bellevue called Somerset. The schools are fantastic and the proximity to everything is amazing, but we're still suburban enough to have a huge yard, super quiet neighborhood, lots of young families, etc.

My husband's vanpool leaves SLU at 5:30 and he's home by 6:10, at the latest.
Just to clarify, Somerset is a neighborhood within Bellevue, not a surburb of it. I just wanted to make that clear in case anyone wants to search on Redfin/Zillow/etc. and isn't finding "Somerset, WA."

Old 08-29-2012, 08:39 PM

102 posts, read 275,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellevueNative View Post
Just to clarify, Somerset is a neighborhood within Bellevue, not a surburb of it. I just wanted to make that clear in case anyone wants to search on Redfin/Zillow/etc. and isn't finding "Somerset, WA."
Oh, that's funny - that's the first time anyone has corrected me on that. By "suburb" I meant outlying part - from the perspective of some one new to the area, I found Bellevue a little confusing as the downtown area and many of the outlying areas are so separated. And then those areas sort of shmush into Issaquah and Renton and Redmond.

We found it easier when house hunting to have more colloquial descriptions as it's so hard to even know what you're looking for or where, especially over here. That was how we found our area, anyway.

Old 09-02-2012, 09:28 PM

2,064 posts, read 4,437,388 times
A few random points:

1) As others have mentioned, a lot of your work experience at Amazon will depend on your team. Some teams are better about work/life balance while others are much more 24/7. I would say that in general, if your team (and managers) all have families and are older, you'll probably have a better work/life balance. Some of the teams with mostly single people work late every day and have no problems scheduling meetings late into the evening, etc. and you will likely be expected to follow suit for the most part so it's important during the interview/job acceptance process to ensure that you are a good fit for the team. If you do work with a team overseas, you will also have some occasional evening work (conference calls, email, etc.).

With all that said, there are many companies that are better than amazon for working moms and many companies that are worse but overall, I would be fine with my wife working at amazon.

2) There are mom rooms in every building and on most (if not all) floors. My guess from being married with a child is that these rooms are for breast pumping. Many people in amazon work in cubes in a public area and even the offices are not very private (even though they do have swinging doors that lock). The glass is generally translucent, etc. so these rooms provide privacy. I am pretty sure that the doors lock, are only accessible by key card (so you would need to request access as a mom), etc. I will say that in my 2 months at amazon, I have never seen anyone walk in or out of these rooms but that's just me.

3) Many people carpool and most of the carpools (at least in my group) tend to arrive at around 9am or so and tend to leave at around 5:30pm. I don't believe there will be any carpools that leave earlier in the evening to go home.

4) Parking is available but you will have to pay a bit out of pocket and there's usually a waiting list for monthly parking. You can park a few days/month (around 7-8 days or so) that will be reimbursed.

RVD.

Old 09-04-2012, 05:48 PM

620 posts, read 1,301,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdubs73 View Post
Hi
Considering relocating the family from Chicago to work for Amazon. I'd like to know if you can be successful at Amazon in a mid level marketing position and be able to leave regularly at 5-5:30 to make dinner/care for your young family.

I've seen a lot of posts on here about families moving for the husband's job. Can anyone share an experience where the family moved for the woman's career? My kids 2 & 4 have been in daycare since they were babies and it works for us. I have set strict boundaries with my current and previous employers in Chicago that I have to leave between 5-5:30 to pick up the kids, have dinner etc. I'm available again after bedtime to work on my laptop when it is required. I work at a very demanding ad agency right now, but we are able to make it work.

For us, living in the city would probably work best to minimize the commute. I'd like to work 15 minutes away if possible so I understand magnolia and queen anne might be neighborhoods to consider.

Also, does Amazon have daycare???

Thanks in advance for any responses!
Eh. I'll send a PM.

Old 09-06-2012, 04:40 PM

202 posts, read 240,242 times
Default First Amazon interview

Hi! We've been heavily researching Seattle to relocate to and have decided it's definitely what we want. We can't wait to get out there! That being said, my husband heard from Amazon today and has a phone interview set up for next week. We're excited, but realize it's too early to get too excited! What's the turn around time after a phone interview to move on to an in person interview if they decide to proceed? And after that, an offer? I know they offer relocation assistance; is it a pretty decent package? Thanks for any insight!

Old 09-06-2012, 09:31 PM

2,064 posts, read 4,437,388 times
You should do some searching in here. There is a lot of information.

Usually there are 2 phone interviews + 1 day of in person interviews. They usually get back to you pretty quickly between the phone interviews (maybe a week at the most) and after your in-person they usually get back to you within a few days.

The interviews are pretty difficult so good luck!

Old 09-07-2012, 02:09 PM

58 posts, read 126,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD90277 View Post
You should do some searching in here. There is a lot of information.

Usually there are 2 phone interviews + 1 day of in person interviews. They usually get back to you pretty quickly between the phone interviews (maybe a week at the most) and after your in-person they usually get back to you within a few days.

The interviews are pretty difficult so good luck!
What about them did you find difficult? -just out of curiosity
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area