Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2012, 02:45 PM

1,748 posts, read 5,524,407 times

Advertisements

My spouse had somewhere 3 or 4 phone interviews among different departments so I think it depends on the type of job. It was about a week sometimes less in between phone interviews. Then they flew him out for an in person. He had a call the next day that an offer was coming.

I think the package is pretty good though being corporate gypsys we have had better (pre recession though things seem to have changed overall). Best of luck to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2012, 03:55 PM

102 posts, read 274,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD90277 View Post
You should do some searching in here. There is a lot of information.

Usually there are 2 phone interviews + 1 day of in person interviews. They usually get back to you pretty quickly between the phone interviews (maybe a week at the most) and after your in-person they usually get back to you within a few days.

The interviews are pretty difficult so good luck!

That was our experience, as well.

And our relocation package was very comprehensive. All expenses and then some.

Amazon designs their interviews to be difficult. The phone interviews are a screening, essentially. A pre-interview. And then the in person interview is a day long, multi-person intense interview including one interviewer that they refer to as the "bar raiser" whose sole job it is to weed out anyone not up to Amazon's standards. They don't have any investment in the person being interviewed - they are a higher up for a different department - so they are theoretically neutral and they are just there to be really, really tough.

The details depend on the position - my husband's loop was insane, but he was interviewing for a high level position. A friend of his was interviewing for a mid-level position and it as less intense (but still significantly harder than most).

Old 09-07-2012, 04:20 PM

1,930 posts, read 6,533,678 times
Don't be afraid to ask/counter for a great relo package. Worked for us!

Old 09-07-2012, 05:29 PM

202 posts, read 240,013 times
Thanks everyone! I appreciate it!

Old 09-07-2012, 10:04 PM

2,064 posts, read 4,433,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfdfsdfsdfs View Post
What about them did you find difficult? -just out of curiosity
For some of the management positions such as Software Development Manager, Technical Product Manager, etc. you are still required to pass at least Software Development Engineer I level coding.

So for a guy like me who used to code many years ago and still codes occasionally, it was tough reviewing all of the old algorithms and stuff that I learned in college over 10 years ago even though I interviewed for a management position.

I was asked a bunch of questions and had to code on a whiteboard, etc. and I think I probably messed up a bit on some questions, did well on some questions, etc.

RVD.

Old 10-06-2012, 09:57 PM

1 posts, read 11,984 times
Hi all! I am looking to connect with individuals at Amazon. Currently, I reside in the Phoenix, AZ area. I have a lot of family in Washington State. My family is selling their home, and moving to the Seattle area. My desire is to also pick up and move to the Seattle area. I work for a top Fortune 100 Company that was rated #20, and have been there for nearly 10 years. I saw that my company might have some opportunties in the Seattle area, so I invested some energy looking to see if they would be willing to send me to Seattle. However, it does not look like that is going to be an option. I am fine with that though because I was not certain that my company could help facilitate very many growth-oriented opportunities since I would be moving out of one of the main offices and further away from the corporate headquarters. With that being said, I have begun my search and really got excited about what I see at Amazon. Right now, it is my top pick. I believe with my education, skills, and experience working with customers world-wide, I have a lot to contribute to Amazon. I would like to gain more insight into the culture of Amazon. What are some of the most important skills that Amazon is looking to onboard with new hires? How does leadership view the future of this industry? What are some of the most important aspects of your job as it relates to Amazon's mission and vision? What is the overall structure of Amazon, and how does each area of the enterprise contribute to the success of Amazon? I have more questions, but that would be a good start for me. The great news is that my family already had accomodations for me to assist with my transition once I land a job in the Seattle area. Any help one can offer would greatly be appreciated! Thank you!

Old 10-24-2012, 02:50 PM

15 posts, read 68,536 times
Default Work at Amazon? How long is their maternity leave?

Hi!
i would like to know how long amazonians in the seattle office are given as maternity leave. 12 weeks? 18 weeks? Is it paid or unpaid?

Thanks!

Old 10-24-2012, 03:09 PM

2,064 posts, read 4,433,613 times
uh...i believe it is 8 weeks.

Old 10-24-2012, 05:06 PM

1,979 posts, read 3,525,014 times
Legally I believe you're entitled to 12 weeks, but it doesn't have to be paid. No clue what Amazon's paid/non-paid deal is.

Old 10-24-2012, 05:23 PM

15 posts, read 68,536 times
8 weeks!!! Really??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area