Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2014, 03:07 PM

2 posts, read 10,419 times

Advertisements

I interviewed with Amazon in January and it went very well but I did not get an offer. They wanted me to start in a different position because the one I was interviewing for had more management duties than I had experience with and the recruiter said she would see if they had other opportunities for me.

I thought it was an easy let down.

Well the other day I was contacted saying that they hoped I was still looking for work because they would like to extend me a job offer and the team was excited about the prospect of working with me.

This was Tuesday and she said she would contact me by yesterday because she had to work out salary details and get signatures. I haven't heard anything and I'm dying. Has anyone had this happen and still gotten an offer? I'm hoping something didn't happen. After a year of job searches I am on edge!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2014, 01:05 AM

5 posts, read 44,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cepbush106 View Post
I interviewed with Amazon in January and it went very well but I did not get an offer. They wanted me to start in a different position because the one I was interviewing for had more management duties than I had experience with and the recruiter said she would see if they had other opportunities for me.

I thought it was an easy let down.

Well the other day I was contacted saying that they hoped I was still looking for work because they would like to extend me a job offer and the team was excited about the prospect of working with me.

This was Tuesday and she said she would contact me by yesterday because she had to work out salary details and get signatures. I haven't heard anything and I'm dying. Has anyone had this happen and still gotten an offer? I'm hoping something didn't happen. After a year of job searches I am on edge!
Same boat as cepbush, or at least similar boat.
When they turn you down for 1 role and then promise they'll try to find some other roles where to fit you in, does it usually mean that you'd have to go through the whole crazy interviewing procedure again: with all new managers/team members etc.? Or is it more of an "auto-pilot" kind of procedure?

Frankly, since they turned me down on the role that I wanted, I'm not sure if it's worth to go through the hassle again for other less interesting roles and even for other countries.
What do you guys say?

Old 05-05-2014, 04:03 PM

4 posts, read 11,649 times
I've been lurking on this thread for a while and I saw some posts on another site I follow regarding the work place at Amazon. Thought it might be useful to those of you looking for employment there.

Amazon Insiders Tell the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

Seems like a pretty cut throat place where a power tripping or threatened manager can sink you rather quickly. :\ The more disturbing thing seems to be that a lot of people don't really stay longer than a couple years. I would have thought Amazon would be like the Ford or GM of Seattle (in their heyday), long-term/lifetime employment for the city residents.

Old 05-05-2014, 11:03 PM

338 posts, read 847,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badbet View Post
I've been lurking on this thread for a while and I saw some posts on another site I follow regarding the work place at Amazon. Thought it might be useful to those of you looking for employment there.

Amazon Insiders Tell the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

Seems like a pretty cut throat place where a power tripping or threatened manager can sink you rather quickly. :\ The more disturbing thing seems to be that a lot of people don't really stay longer than a couple years. I would have thought Amazon would be like the Ford or GM of Seattle (in their heyday), long-term/lifetime employment for the city residents.
I think that GREATLY depends on what your job is.
In my husband's department/team, people are very happy. No power tripping really either. *shrug*

Old 05-06-2014, 11:18 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,165,546 times
Anybody not in the Seattle area been contacted by recruiter on LinkedIn? I was wondering if they reached out to me if the process would be a little easier. Does the salary discussion typically happen towards the beginning? I would probably expect a 25-35% compensation bump to consider moving from where I am (very low cost of living) to Seattle. Any insight would be very helpful. Thanks!

Old 05-06-2014, 02:39 PM

My husband was approached initially through a recruiter on LinkedIn. Happens all the time.
And no, salary discussion varies too much from team to team to discuss with a recruiter so early in the ballgame.

Coming from Texas, I can tell you they offered my husband double what he was making in Texas. Doesn't mean they will do the same for you, but just an FYI.

Old 05-07-2014, 12:10 AM

2,064 posts, read 4,433,613 times
They usually ask for salary part way through the process (like after your phone screens).

It is not too common but happens sometimes where you interview for one team, do well, get approved for an offer but they determine that you aren't a great fit for the team yet you are a good fit for Amazon. In that case you will get shopped around and there are many openings so you might get lucky.

You will need to interview again but not the entire process...a revised process of just a few interviews.

And sorry to rain on the parade a little bit but your experience can vary widely depending on your team and your manager. Check glassdoor and other sites and you'll see some unhappy people out there. But you do get the opportunity to interview with the hiring manager (usually) so take the opportunity to think it through. The general reputation around here about Amazon...uh, oh well.

RVD.

Old 05-07-2014, 02:49 PM

4 posts, read 11,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaonevar View Post
I think that GREATLY depends on what your job is.
So which ones are the bad ones? Heh.

Old 05-07-2014, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbet View Post
So which ones are the bad ones? Heh.
That's like asking which blade of grass is a bad one. Amazon Seattle takes up many blocks with of buildings. There are so many teams, jobs, departments, etc. that there is no way to answer this question.

Old 05-08-2014, 11:53 PM

2,064 posts, read 4,433,613 times
of course you can do a simple search for "gawker amazon" and read a lot of interesting stuff these days...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area