Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2014, 11:57 AM

338 posts, read 847,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emerald_octane View Post
One guy may not have liked the shirt you wore so you're out.
That really depends on the team and department. In the Gaming department for example, they don't care what shirt you wore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2014, 09:37 AM

1 posts, read 30,324 times
Has anyone ever seen the amazon job status page show selected?

I received an offer for a summer internship, but after filling out my background check my status on the job page went from under review to reviewed, not selected. I've yet to hear anything from amazon about them withdrawing their offer but seeing that message is making me real nervous. Searching around on google I've yet to see anyone who's status changed to selected, so is it possible it simply defaults to not selected once the hiring process is over??

Old 05-26-2014, 02:38 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
Thanks for sharing Hellrot!

It seems that getting into brutal street gangs or exclusive cults may be easier than getting on at AMZN.

Old 05-26-2014, 08:59 PM

1 posts, read 30,270 times
Smile A few questions

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the board and the Amazon hiring process but things seem to be moving quickly. I was referred by an internal employee and had a phone interview. The phone interview went well and I asked what the next step would be. I was told there would be a second phone interview and I'd hear from the recruiter soon. Two days later I had an email asking me to fly to Seattle and asking for all my details. I have some basic questions based on what I've experienced. I've tried to read alot of the board so I don't repeat anything that's been answered. Apologies if any of these are repeats:

1. How common is it for a second phone interview to be skipped?
2. Does Amazon drug test? (I don't use anything (I swear). Just want to know if I should expect it as part of the process).
3. I received a Chapter 7 bankruptcy discharge in 2010. Will this cause an issue? I assume there's a background and credit check. It was four years ago but you never know.
4. Dress code for in person interviews. The career page talks about not wearing a suit. This seems so counter-intuitive to me. I always want to look AMAZING for a job interview. "Dress for the job you want" and all that. Is it bad for me to wear my suit?
5. I declined to answer what my current salary is when I received the initial email. I answered questions about my compensation structure but didn't go into numbers. I don't want my current salary impacting whatever Amazon may offer me. Will I be required to disclose what I make now? Will Amazon ask for verification of those numbers?
6. How accurate are the salaries I'm seeing on Glassdoor?

Appreciate any info you can give. Thanks.

Last edited by WhiskeyCash; 05-26-2014 at 09:23 PM..

Old 05-28-2014, 11:43 PM

2,064 posts, read 4,433,014 times
1) It's not common for the 2nd interview to be skipped. It is sometimes skipped if you already interviewed at AMZN in the past but for a first time interviewee, it's rare to skip it. It's a good sign though.

2) No, they don't drug test. They do in the fulfillment centers but not for corporate.

3) There is a background check so they will see this. I have no idea if this will be an issue or not though.

4) Don't wear a suit. You will stand out way too much. It's like wearing a speedo to an interview...attracts attention that you don't want. Just wear a nice pair of pants (khakis, etc.) and a nice shirt with a collar (button up shirt or polo shirt) and some decent shoes and you'll be fine. You'll look nice but won't be out of place. With that said, I gave offers to people wearing suits, people wearing shorts and t-shirt and flip flops, etc.

5) Yes you will be required to provide compensation numbers so that they can give you an offer. I would recommend that you be truthful and not lie about it.

6) Sort of accurate. I actually think they are a little low from my experience but that's just my guess...

Good luck!

Old 05-29-2014, 01:04 PM

35 posts, read 197,154 times
I just checked with my husband and this is his experience:

1. Some teams only require one phone interview and it isn't indicative of anything.

2. No.

3. Don't know.

4. Wearing a suit is more of a negative than a positive. If you would strongly prefer to wear a suit it's not a dealbreaker, but know that people's initial reactions will be "this guy is overdressed and doesn't understand industry norms" rather than "he looks amazing".

5. He provided salary details but Amazon didn't verify them. He has seen his manager ask for salary verification though, so your experience may vary. He was recruited internationally, so possibly it's harder to check.

6. Salary-wise he thinks it skews low. It's hard to judge with stock - everything vests on a different schedule and after a few years you can have a lot of stock coming in. You forfeit a significant amount of stock when you leave though.

Old 05-29-2014, 02:32 PM

2,064 posts, read 4,433,014 times
Regarding phone screens, there are a number of teams implementing a "single phone screen" model where there is only 1 phone screen but it is 1.5 hours instead of 1 hour. This is because a study was conducted and found that if you have a good interviewers, a single phone screen is just as effective as having 2 phone screens.

Old 05-29-2014, 03:00 PM

2 posts, read 59,646 times
I had an interview on Friday...Monday was Memorial Day...when can I expect a call or notifcation

Old 05-29-2014, 03:02 PM

2 posts, read 59,646 times
Can anyone help me out...I had an onsite interview at Amazon on Friday...the following Monday was Memorial Day...How long does it take to get back to you.

Old 05-30-2014, 10:17 AM

338 posts, read 847,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne Nonamous View Post
Can anyone help me out...I had an onsite interview at Amazon on Friday...the following Monday was Memorial Day...How long does it take to get back to you.
Most companies can take up a week to get back to you, not accounting for the holiday. Amazon varies from team to team, so there is no set answer here.
You posted this question twice within 2 minutes. I get that you are on edge but you need to take a breather. People probably haven't responded to your first question because, as I said, there is no set answer. We don't know. It could be a week. It could be two. It could be more.
Did they give you a window? They usually do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area