Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2014, 01:04 PM

11 posts, read 50,252 times

Advertisements

I know they're very busy and in our situation there seem to be a few issues for the team to work out before they make an offer to anyone. I suppose my fear is that the lack of response means no. Would they really just stay mum rather than tell someone that the position is being filled by another candidate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2014, 01:12 PM

338 posts, read 845,602 times
The problem is, the folks who interviewed you, have jobs. They aren't just folks who interview all day, every day. Often, interviews are scheduled without asking them, leaving them to drop what they are doing to prep for the last minute interview. After an interview, all interviewers have to wait for everyone to get their feedback in before meeting to decide if it's a yes or no. If they are in meetings and have to try and coordinate schedules, that takes more time.
Point being, it takes time. It isn't instant.

While you are on pins and needles, they are busy and probably aren't thinking about you at this moment. Check in with the recruiter and be patience. Those are the best things a future employee can do.

Old 06-03-2014, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaonevar View Post
The problem is, the folks who interviewed you, have jobs. They aren't just folks who interview all day, every day. Often, interviews are scheduled without asking them, leaving them to drop what they are doing to prep for the last minute interview. After an interview, all interviewers have to wait for everyone to get their feedback in before meeting to decide if it's a yes or no. If they are in meetings and have to try and coordinate schedules, that takes more time.
Point being, it takes time. It isn't instant.

While you are on pins and needles, they are busy and probably aren't thinking about you at this moment. Check in with the recruiter and be patience. Those are the best things a future employee can do.
Good advice. I know, I have been on the other side as well. I am happy to wait for the interviewers to meet, I just hate being told that the recruiter will call on x day and then hearing nothing. This is also a particularly momentous thing for my family because some huge life changes are hinging on whether a job offer comes in.

Old 06-03-2014, 07:39 PM

We just found out that they're moving forward with other candidates. I had a feeling that was why there was some delay. It's pretty disappointing...I had really gotten excited about starting fresh in Seattle!

I hope the rest of you have better luck! Thanks for all the advice.

Old 06-03-2014, 08:47 PM

338 posts, read 845,602 times
Be patient, not patience. ARGH.

I'm sorry you didn't get the job. I understand the huge life change thing. When Amazon hired my husband, it was a complete move of the family across country. My husband had never been out of his home state before (except 1 trip to Disney World) so... big.

There are plenty of places up here to apply. Keep trying and good luck!

Old 06-06-2014, 07:21 PM

1 posts, read 6,660 times
Hi all first time poster here so I just received a email the one with the contingent job offer my question is about the background check I have a felon conviction for assault from 2004 and was wondering if that would keep them from hiring me I was actually interviewed by the facility manager and went very well just a little nervous about the background check my resume is awesome though.

Old 06-07-2014, 11:04 AM

8 posts, read 31,352 times
Hi everyone...So i just wanted to see if someone could answer my question.

I recently went through a process for a position at Amazon which i applied for in April. I went through the phone screen on 5/10 and had my on site on 5/30. I was notified yesterday by some random person from Amazon that the team that interviewed moved on with other candidates. Although this wasn't a shock to me and quite frankly i wasn't too happy with the process as is, I am still curious to know what happened as i was overqualified for the position to be honest.

My question is...Why is it that my recruiter did not even reach out to me nor did she even reply to any of my other emails but then i also noticed that the same day i got rejected on my Amazon profile that i was added to a similar position that i applied for and now it says "Under Review" I am a little curious to know what this means.

I have a feeling that i may have asked for more then what the job would pay on the questionnaire that was sent to me when i was given the invitation for my on-site.

Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!!!

Old 06-09-2014, 01:24 PM

2,064 posts, read 4,418,547 times
hard to say what happened...this is just my personal speculation so read this with a grain of salt...and don't read this as anything against you personally since i don't know you. i'm just saying a few broad things...

1) your compensation expectations may have been way too high compared to where they leveled you. e.g., if you think you're a Director who should be paid $300k but they think you're a mid level manager who should make $140k, it might just be way off. but i think if it's relatively in the same ballpark, they'll just make you the lower offer anyway.

2) your recruiter might be out on vacation or out of town on a business trip so they just had another recruiter reach out to you instead. i wouldn't read too much into this unless you were being unreasonable to your recruiter which might have raised some flags. i remember one candidate who was from NY who first asked for jobs in NY. When the recruiter told him "No, this job requires relocation to Seattle" he agreed to go forward with the interview process anyway. However, later he kept bringing up NY again and possibilities to work in NY which really got her annoyed because she kept repeating that she didn't have anything in NY so if he wanted to stay in NY, he should apply for other jobs at Amazon that are in NY. The guy would then always back off and say "no no, it's ok...i'll continue moving forward with Seattle" only to do it over and over again. Right before his in-person to Seattle he made more demands (extra nights lodging, to fly his gf out with him, etc.) which we declined but it still raised a lot of red flags. If I was the recruiter I probably would have just canceled the interview but she didn't and we interviewed him and he didn't get an offer anyway but I don't know if she reached out to him after the fact because he had annoyed her so much (she might have handed it off to someone else). Not saying that you did this since your recruiter just being out of town is much more likely.

3) you might be a fine fit for the company in terms of experience and resume but they might determine that you're not a good fit culturally. not a knock against you but not everyone is a great fit for every company, etc. i have met many folks who are rock stars at one company but fail at another.

just move on. i don't consolation prizes don't mean much but simply getting an on-site interview is a good signal that you're in high demand. well done.

Old 06-09-2014, 05:20 PM

8 posts, read 31,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD90277 View Post
hard to say what happened...this is just my personal speculation so read this with a grain of salt...and don't read this as anything against you personally since i don't know you. i'm just saying a few broad things...

1) your compensation expectations may have been way too high compared to where they leveled you. e.g., if you think you're a Director who should be paid $300k but they think you're a mid level manager who should make $140k, it might just be way off. but i think if it's relatively in the same ballpark, they'll just make you the lower offer anyway.

2) your recruiter might be out on vacation or out of town on a business trip so they just had another recruiter reach out to you instead. i wouldn't read too much into this unless you were being unreasonable to your recruiter which might have raised some flags. i remember one candidate who was from NY who first asked for jobs in NY. When the recruiter told him "No, this job requires relocation to Seattle" he agreed to go forward with the interview process anyway. However, later he kept bringing up NY again and possibilities to work in NY which really got her annoyed because she kept repeating that she didn't have anything in NY so if he wanted to stay in NY, he should apply for other jobs at Amazon that are in NY. The guy would then always back off and say "no no, it's ok...i'll continue moving forward with Seattle" only to do it over and over again. Right before his in-person to Seattle he made more demands (extra nights lodging, to fly his gf out with him, etc.) which we declined but it still raised a lot of red flags. If I was the recruiter I probably would have just canceled the interview but she didn't and we interviewed him and he didn't get an offer anyway but I don't know if she reached out to him after the fact because he had annoyed her so much (she might have handed it off to someone else). Not saying that you did this since your recruiter just being out of town is much more likely.

3) you might be a fine fit for the company in terms of experience and resume but they might determine that you're not a good fit culturally. not a knock against you but not everyone is a great fit for every company, etc. i have met many folks who are rock stars at one company but fail at another.

just move on. i don't consolation prizes don't mean much but simply getting an on-site interview is a good signal that you're in high demand. well done.
Hey, thanks for the insight and appreciate the kind remarks.

I did speak to the recruiter about the position and she told me they felt I didn't meet the technical demand which is quite strange since they told me they didn't expect me to know everything. Whether or not this is true is something I will never know but just the fact that the interview was very laid back didn't seem very promising like if they already moved on.

I take it as a learning experience and the role was customer service and I would probably be giving up a lot of my perks at my current job.

I'm actually in Seattle now so the relocation didn't have anything to do with it.

Oh well plenty of opportunities to look forward to.

Old 06-10-2014, 02:47 PM

2,064 posts, read 4,418,547 times
The technical bar is really high (definitely one of the highest in the industry) and there is some variability in terms of the folks who interviewed you, etc.

Most don't make it past the phone screen let alone the on-site and most of the time it is due to technical proficiency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area