Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2014, 06:41 PM

2,064 posts, read 4,433,377 times

Advertisements

the CIA contract is old news...that was last year.

if you are a software engineer with security clearance...you're in high demand.

i don't think amazon pays less than most places in the seattle area. i think it's a YMMV.

all public info...brian valentine recently retired from amazon and he was hired in 2006 as an SVP. he got a salary of $150k, a signing bonus of $1.7m in year 1, $500k in year 2, and 400k shares of stock to vest over 6 years. 400k shares today is worth $130m and the stock has been down for most of the year...i don't think brian valentine was underpaid at making on average $20m+/year? even at 2006 prices, his stock was worth $16m over those 6 years...not bad for an exec.

on the other end of the spectrum, according to glassdoor, an SDE I entry level with 0 years of experience makes on average...$100k base + $20-$30k in stock/bonus. i don't think that's less than most places in the seattle area. that basically means that there is nobody in engineering who makes less than 6 figures...

i know that when i worked there i got a pretty nice bump from my previous salary. amazon works hard to make sure that their compensation is at the upper end of the scale to attract the best talent from around the world.

...it's also a good resume booster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2014, 08:12 PM

1 posts, read 11,792 times
How important are references? Do most references get called?

Old 07-09-2014, 09:35 PM

references are a formality. i actually don't know why they still make you submit references since anyone can name 3 people they have worked with who will vouch for them. it's a useless data point.

my only guess is that every so often someone is stupid and they put down a reference who doesn't vouch for them and this becomes enough of a red flag that references don't pan out and the person doesn't get hired.

but in general, references are not important unless you happen to know jeff very well and put him down as your reference...

Old 07-12-2014, 02:39 PM

52 posts, read 236,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD90277 View Post
go ahead and email your old recruiters.

typically they want to wait 6 months to interview again but if you at least made it to an onsite interview it means you were a decent candidate so they would want to have you try again probably.

amazon is always hiring and always desperate to hire people who meet their stringent hiring bar.
Thanks a ton!

Also as an aside, I was browsing jobs and saw they now have program coordinator positions (or I hadn't noticed a few years back). Anybody know what that is, exactly? I can't find a salary range on glassdoor or experiences in that position. They seem to vary even with the same title so was just wondering (ex: at Microsoft business administrator positions are said to have no growth and have a bad stigma). Just curious as a few seem at my level (4-5 years exp with a Masters) with job duties I'm familiar with and some seem a little under (1-2 years experience) with really vague duties ("strong organizational skills, dependable, self-motivated" etc).

Last edited by monkeymunch; 07-12-2014 at 02:54 PM..

Old 07-16-2014, 11:52 AM

5 posts, read 28,404 times
Just to help others- In between my last couple of jobs I have applied for numerous positions on the Amazon jobs website. I never heard anything back in general from going about it this way. Now, my wife and I are looking to relocate to Seattle, and I found a job on the Amazon board that I am very qualified for- 10 years of experience in the exact job. I took a different approach this time. I refined my linkedin profile, made a concise 1 page resume, and made sure the two matched. I then found a current Amazon employee in the department that I was looking at who was 1 connection away from me on LinkedIn. I connected with him, and he got my resume to a recruiter. At the same time I paid for 1 month of Premium LinkedIn which allowed me to send 3 "Inmails" to Amazon recruiters. I believe this is what got me the first interview. I was contacted just a day or so later by the recruiter who is in charge of the category I want to work in. We scheduled the standard 45 minute interview and got through it in 15 minutes. I am working on a degree (going back to school online at nights), and one of the requirements for this job was a degree. I asked if that would disqualify me, but he said if I was to be disqualified he would have done it. Just got an email for the second interview next week with people from the department I am applying to. Hoping it goes well!
Bottom line is that you can find recruiters and get faster responses on LinkedIn- use it as a tool!

Old 07-16-2014, 01:00 PM

338 posts, read 847,495 times
Agreed with the above post.
My husband was approached via LinkedIn by Amazon recruiters, which is how he got his job at Amazon.

Old 07-21-2014, 04:11 PM

9 posts, read 19,842 times
Default Shall I consider it as denial?

I had interview with Amazon last week in a hiring event, haven't heard anything since then. Online status says under review. is there any hope left that I may still get the offer?

Thanks

Old 07-21-2014, 07:28 PM

52 posts, read 236,661 times
I was actually here for a similar question: is there a difference between "submitted - under review" and just "under review"? I have a mix of those two statuses for jobs I applied to.

Old 07-23-2014, 12:53 AM

I don't know the answer to the "submitted under review" thing but I would say that for folks who want a job at Amazon, go ahead and reach out to recruiters on linkedin. You have to remember that it's their job to get people hired...their performance is directly tied to the # of people that they bring into Amazon that are hired every month so they want you to get hired as much as you want to get hired.

Of course they also don't want to be a recruiter with a really bad hire percentage so if they look at your resume and think you won't make it through a phone screen / onsite you'll get cut.

But rest assured, all of your goals are aligned here.

Old 07-23-2014, 07:47 PM

1 posts, read 10,504 times
Been reading these boards for a while! Very appreciative of the wealth of information shared on this site. Received my offer letter today. 3 phone screens, onsite last friday, offer the following wednesday. Applied to the job via LinkedIn. The job I applied to actually said "submitted not selected," but 2 other jobs (The same job, different job number) were added to my profile. The one I was actually in the runnings for changed to "under review," and the other said "submitted under review." After I accepted the offer, it changed to "accepted contingent offer."

Hope that helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area