Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2014, 02:04 AM

2,064 posts, read 4,434,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaonevar View Post
Really depends on the job and the team.
My husband's passed the 18 months mark and loves his team and his job. He's even said that if we were suddenly fabulously wealthy, he'd still work there because it's a challenge and fun.
To each their own though.
Teams can vary greatly. I know some really crappy teams where everyone is overworked, operational duties are a big pain, the team rarely pushes new features out to production, and managers are a bunch of empire-building politicians.

And I know a few teams where the managers are cool and the engineers are all good folks and everyone enjoys their work.

I will say that for most employees, 12-18 months is about the turning point though when they really think seriously about "do i really want to keep on with this for the next X years or should i stop now and find something else"...usually thoughts of "life is short", "you spend X% of your life at work so you may as well enjoy it", etc.

As a new employee, you don't typically get to choose your team so hopefully you don't end up on a bad team. However, after 1 year you can transfer to another team and the folks inside (your friends) will all tell you which teams you should avoid and which managers are cool, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2014, 07:14 PM

2 posts, read 12,091 times
Smile Shout out to RVD!

RVD90277: I interviewed and got an email saying my interviews went well, just 2 days later, and a planned phone call tomorrow, I think regarding an offer. I also was emailed today and asked to fill out an application to proceed. What can you share about the negotiation, or did you get to at all? This is for an operations manager/sr ops position, and I am not sure of the location. I am willing to relocate, and actually interviewed across the country from my home. I am really excited and can barely focus tonight. Any tips, insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks- jln

Old 08-05-2014, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jln1606 View Post
RVD90277: I interviewed and got an email saying my interviews went well, just 2 days later, and a planned phone call tomorrow, I think regarding an offer. I also was emailed today and asked to fill out an application to proceed. What can you share about the negotiation, or did you get to at all? This is for an operations manager/sr ops position, and I am not sure of the location. I am willing to relocate, and actually interviewed across the country from my home. I am really excited and can barely focus tonight. Any tips, insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks- jln
usually folks go through 1-3 phone screens and then go onsite for a day of interviews. even if you are remote, they will fly you in so it's rare if you did everything remotely.

not just for amazon but in general at most companies as for compensation negotiations, there are aspects that are somewhat negotiable and aspects that are not. things that usually are not negotiable include stuff like vacation days, sick days, maternity/paternity leave, health insurance, etc. stuff that is pretty negotiable (within reason assuming the company really wants you) are base salary (up to the cap), stock, start date, etc. stuff in the middle (not really negotiable usually but some people might have had success) include relocation expenses, temporary housing, etc.

congrats and good luck!

Old 08-06-2014, 12:57 AM

58 posts, read 83,091 times
Default Why can't I see my application status?

Hello,

I've applied to a position, gotten the confirmation email and all, then when I logged back in, it says my profile has not been submitted. Then when I try to "reapply" to the same said job, it says I've already applied, but feel free to apply to other positions. How on earth do I see my status then?

Old 08-06-2014, 09:03 PM

2 posts, read 12,091 times
RVD90277: Thanks so much for the information! All good here- I got an offer BUT location to be determined. Should have that resolved by Friday- so one more day to hold out. I will post again when I know where I will begin my days as an Amazonian Really appreciate your quick reply- jln1606

Old 08-06-2014, 11:44 PM

congrats! do you think you may be coming out to seattle?

Old 08-11-2014, 08:53 AM

70 posts, read 111,457 times
i have trouble getting an interview with them

Old 08-25-2014, 08:06 PM

it's one of those things where if working at amazon is going to be the highlight of your career and resume, you probably won't get an interview there. this just means they look for big tech companies on your resume such as google, facebook, yahoo, microsoft, etc.

if you don't already work at one of those companies, it's a long shot. you can try to find an internal person to refer you or a recruiter but it's tough. yes, there are plenty of examples contrary to what i said but by in large this is true.

their recruiters will also seek you out on linkedin so make sure your linkedin profile is up to date and portrays you in the best light possible.

RVD.

Old 09-01-2014, 06:38 AM

1 posts, read 5,210 times
Hey I recently applied at Amazon had my interview passed my drug test been 14days tomorrow . how long does it normally take to get a back ground in that's all I'm waiting on .

Old 09-01-2014, 08:25 PM

1 posts, read 5,182 times
Default Getting to Know Seattle in a Weekend

I have an onsite interview with Amazon next Monday and my wife and I are flying out on Saturday. This will be the first time for both of us to Seattle.

Since we only really have 2 days to explore Seattle, what areas should we visit, what are the must sees to determine if Seattle is the best place for us?

Background on us, we are 30, no kids and must likely to get a 2 bedroom condo somewhere close to Amazon.

Much appreciated!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area