Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2011, 07:08 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,850,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verio View Post
Well, tomorrow is the day, wish me luck!
Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2011, 06:40 PM

5 posts, read 47,955 times
How did it go Verio? I recently had a 2nd phone interview for a TPM position....interested in how a non-SDE interview goes.

Old 07-03-2011, 06:42 PM

1,930 posts, read 6,532,885 times
If you get flown out AJG, be sure to brush up on AMZN core values...

Customer Obsession: We start with the customer and work backward.

Innovation: If you don’t listen to your customers you will fail. But if you only listen to your customers you will also fail.

Bias for Action: We live in a time of unheralded revolution and instrumental opportunity – provided we make every minute count.

Ownership: Ownership matters when you’re building a great company. Owners think long – term, please passionately for their projects and ideas, and are empowered to respectfully challenge decisions.

High Hiring Bar: When making a hiring decision we ask ourselves: “Will I admire this person? Will I learn from this person? Is this person a superstar?”

Frugality: We spend money on the things that really matter and believe that frugality breeds resourcefulness, self-sufficiency and intention.

Old 07-03-2011, 07:04 PM

Thanks texastrigirl! Everything I read about that "high hiring bar" talks about SDE interviews and the "bar raiser"... I'm interested in what that means for non-SDEs.

Hopefully everything went well for Viero and he can give some good feedback too.

Have a good 4th!

Old 07-03-2011, 08:44 PM

1,803 posts, read 2,622,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verio View Post
I got contacted two days ago by a recruiter at Amazon about an application I put in.
honest question:

what skills does a government health inspector / federal LEO bring to the plate that amazon could possibly want? does amazon.com have its own police department and kitchen staff??

*scratches chin*

Old 07-03-2011, 09:27 PM

My husband is a non-SDE and has been a PM (and carried a weak TPM on his team for a short time). He is rather technical, even for a PM and he would tell you the interview process was/is pretty intense. And this is coming from someone who interviewed with and was hired by a top tier management consulting firm out of grad school. I think he'd say the same about Microsoft as well though...even for non technical folks they are really interested to see if you are a fit for the culture and ask tough questions. AMZN is full of superstars so can be fairly competitive in a review cycle when someone HAS to get a "needs improvement" in their rating component. But overall, he has worked with really bright people over the years, is constantly challenged and learning. It's been a great career move for him to go there.

Old 07-03-2011, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterCat View Post
honest question:

what skills does a government health inspector / federal LEO bring to the plate that amazon could possibly want? does amazon.com have its own police department and kitchen staff??

*scratches chin*
I think no is the answer to both of those questions. Not sure what type of staff the fulfillment centers have but in cases of a kitchen staff and security, both are outsourced.

Old 07-04-2011, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texastrigirl View Post
My husband is a non-SDE and has been a PM (and carried a weak TPM on his team for a short time). He is rather technical, even for a PM and he would tell you the interview process was/is pretty intense. And this is coming from someone who interviewed with and was hired by a top tier management consulting firm out of grad school. I think he'd say the same about Microsoft as well though...even for non technical folks they are really interested to see if you are a fit for the culture and ask tough questions. AMZN is full of superstars so can be fairly competitive in a review cycle when someone HAS to get a "needs improvement" in their rating component. But overall, he has worked with really bright people over the years, is constantly challenged and learning. It's been a great career move for him to go there.
Thanks - hopefully I'll get to find out

Old 07-05-2011, 01:33 PM

615 posts, read 1,522,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texastrigirl View Post
I think no is the answer to both of those questions. Not sure what type of staff the fulfillment centers have but in cases of a kitchen staff and security, both are outsourced.
Yeah, I'm not sure where that post came out of either. The interview was rescheduled, and will be conducted later this week.

Edit - Thanks for the great information about the interview. The position is a technical position, it's just not programming related. I'm not really sure what to expect, but I'm sure I can adapt to any situation.

Last edited by Verio; 07-05-2011 at 01:53 PM..

Old 07-07-2011, 11:07 AM

615 posts, read 1,522,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJGiliberti2 View Post
How did it go Verio? I recently had a 2nd phone interview for a TPM position....interested in how a non-SDE interview goes.
The interview went rather well I think. I love the difficult questions, and none of the behavior-based questions. I'm sure those will come later.

I was told to expect a 2nd interview notification from HR, and then after that, possibly an on-site interview.

How different was the 1st interview from the 2nd? It's a panel correct? Is it behavior-based or is it just purely technical?

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area