Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2014, 12:00 PM

1,205 posts, read 2,689,690 times

Advertisements

I love Amazon, I think the whole Hatchete thing is ridiculous and side with Amazon.

Never noticed this thread before, its so different than the Northwest Arkansas forum where if you mention Walmart you will most likely get shut down really fast. If I wasn't about to get a degree in healthcare I might apply at Amazon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2014, 01:14 PM

455 posts, read 578,582 times
Yeah I did it cold. I felt I did bad not because I couldn't answer the questions, but the depth wasn't there.

But they have not told me to take a hike yet, so maybe ill get another shot at it during another round.

Old 10-22-2014, 04:31 AM

3 posts, read 11,756 times
Hello folks, I am in the interview process with Amazon. I have some questions to whom did pass those steps:

1.) I am in east europe and they will be inviting me to on-site in Seattle. Are all the expenses covered by Amazon? What is included? And do they pay for airplane tickets and hotel in advance or first we pay then they reimburse?

2.) What is the net of 130K gross salary in Seattle, after taxes and other standard things? Can you specify the deductions item by item?

Thank you very much.

Old 10-22-2014, 06:59 AM

I can answer number 2, WA does not have a state income tax. But federal income tax on 130k is probably around 25k if married. A couple grand higher if single.

Then you will have whatever healthcare costs (HDP plans company to company run from about 50 biweekly to 150 depending on family size), plus whatever you put into your 401k and HSA.

Old 10-22-2014, 08:31 AM

Well I got reviewed, not selected.

Old 10-22-2014, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacker1234 View Post
I can answer number 2, WA does not have a state income tax. But federal income tax on 130k is probably around 25k if married. A couple grand higher if single.

Then you will have whatever healthcare costs (HDP plans company to company run from about 50 biweekly to 150 depending on family size), plus whatever you put into your 401k and HSA.
Thank you very much. Could you give more details about the average deductions for a single person.
For ex:

Gross: 130K
Fed. tax: 25K
Healthcare average: ?
401K average: ?
HSA average: ?

Those do not need to be very precise, any average numbers will shed some light?

many thanks.

Old 10-22-2014, 09:22 AM

17 posts, read 52,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0d3r View Post
Thank you very much. Could you give more details about the average deductions for a single person.
Why don't you use some of the take-home pay calculators on the Internet? They won't give you the exact amount, but it will be close enough.

E.g. http://www.primepay.com/calculators/...alculator.aspx
This gives you $7,684.60/month take home pay, not accounting for 401k and medical insurance.

Old 10-22-2014, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by satellite779 View Post
Why don't you use some of the take-home pay calculators on the Internet? They won't give you the exact amount, but it will be close enough.

E.g. http://www.primepay.com/calculators/...alculator.aspx
This gives you $7,684.60/month take home pay, not accounting for 401k and medical insurance.
Because those calculators do not include 401k and medical insurance
And I have no idea about the average of these, since I am outside US.

Old 10-22-2014, 11:44 AM

17 posts, read 52,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0d3r View Post
Because those calculators do not include 401k and medical insurance
And I have no idea about the average of these, since I am outside US.
401k is your retirement. If you don't want to save, it can be $0. It's up to you to chose how much you want to contribute (there's upper limit though, by law).

Medical at Amazon shouldn't be too much, if you're single, I would guess around $100/month. So those calculators would give you a pretty good estimate, within a couple of 100's of $.

The biggest effect on your tax situation will be whether you have any dependents (wife who doesn't work, kids). And that's where calculators are useful.

Last edited by satellite779; 10-22-2014 at 12:31 PM..

Old 10-22-2014, 03:15 PM

2,064 posts, read 4,434,781 times
A couple of quick comments:

1) Amazon will pay for your travel for the onsite interview including air fare + hotel. Their travel group will book this for you so you do not need to pay upfront and get reimbursed, etc. This usually does not include a rental car so you will need to pay for taxis and transportation (train, bus, etc.) as well as food out of your own pocket and get reimbursed later.

2) As for salary, please keep in mind that Amazon total compensation consists of base pay + cash bonus (for your first 2 years) + RSU. If your total comp is $130k, you will likely have a base of around $100k. In any case, if your base is $130k then approx numbers reported by other people are correct. If you are single and opt for the cheapest health insurance plan and put $0 towards your retirement (401k) then you can probably take home around $7.5-8k/month. Most people get a pretty good health insurance plan and also put away some money into their 401k so they take home maybe $7k/month.

Health insurance is going to be ballpark $100/month to be safe but maybe less. It's not going to be $500/mo or anything really high like that. Even if you have a family, it's maybe $200/month or so.

RVD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area