Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2015, 05:03 PM

28 posts, read 76,241 times

Advertisements

After the onsite, I was told the team likes me but wants me to talk to another hiring manager for a position in a different capacity. Will this require another on-site?

Is this a good sign or just consider round 2 an entirely fresh start?

Is there any actual way to tell the level of a position? The only clue I saw was "L6+ hiring manager" on the expense form, but I don't know if this means anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2015, 10:56 PM

2,064 posts, read 4,440,870 times
usually it requires another on-site.

not sure what the L6+ hiring manager means. i know what hiring manager means and i know what L6+ means but don't know what that means when put together on an expense form.

Old 07-24-2015, 11:12 AM

2 posts, read 6,440 times
As we all know, compensation at Amazon is heavily tied to the RSU, perhaps even more so than companies in other similar industries. Furthermore, the vesting is weighted more towards the end than the typical 4 year / 1 year cliff setup. While reviewing the terms of the I have seen two things that are concerning.

1) The plan does not provide for immediate vesting in the event of death or disability. This compensation is lost.
2) The plan does not provide for vesting or pro-rata vesting is you are involuntarily terminated without cause (IE: Layoffs).

Are either of these ever seen as an issue by candidates?

Old 07-24-2015, 11:43 AM

You are correct. If it's a big issue for you, you can try to negotiate it but I doubt you will get very far.

Just to clarify, RSU is a big portion of your total compensation for most employees but it gets bigger the higher up you go. For entry level folks, RSU is meaningful but not necessarily what everyone would consider significant.

Because it is weighted more towards the end, you do get cash bonuses for your first 2 years to make up. The cash bonuses are basically a way to make sure you don't lose compensation even if you were to leave, die, etc. early. However, if the stock goes up (which it has a lot in the past year), you will lose out on those gains in the case of death, disability, layoffs, etc.

Old 07-24-2015, 12:31 PM

2 posts, read 6,440 times
Thank you. I don't think negotiation will be effective on this type of standard agreement either. It's not entirely common everywhere, perhaps that's because California has some different rules about #2 and many tech companies are based there. On the other hand, at least the RSU seems generous if you're there to see the fruits of your labor.

This same concern may also apply to any relocation or sign-on bonuses, but I would think enforcement would be less likely in such a case.

Historically, what has been the RSU compensation past year 4 or 5? Do they begin providing additional similar grants with the same 4-year rolling vesting schedule at year 2/3, or is this typically not the case?

Old 07-24-2015, 05:20 PM

You get 2 year rolling vests. The 4 year thing is only at the beginning. Since it's only 2 years, there is less of a chance that they will be very valuable but the stock can be volatile so even at 2 years, you could do well.

For relocation and sign-on, they do tend to be pretty vigilant about asking for it back. As for what happens if you just ignore them, I don't know. At the very least they could probably mark you as ineligible for rehire but most ppl probably don't care about that.

Old 07-24-2015, 11:21 PM

An offer has been received, thank you for the tips. The base is actually higher than I expected and glass door and others would suggest. I really have no complaints about the whole package. My largest hangup will be the decision to forgo 4 weeks of vacation time, and someone getting myself over the hideous Seattle rent.

Old 07-27-2015, 10:07 AM

338 posts, read 849,407 times
Amazon also has a history of laying people off right before the magic vesting period. They did so recently to many folks we know--literally 1 month before their RSU's would fully vest.

Keep that in mind.

Old 07-27-2015, 11:08 AM

319 posts, read 347,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaonevar View Post
Amazon also has a history of laying people off right before the magic vesting period. They did so recently to many folks we know--literally 1 month before their RSU's would fully vest.
No surprise. I am no buy-side analyst but in light of recent events, posting major surprise earnings is always something that should raise a red flag on many fronts. I am old enough to remember Enron quite well and the only people who benefitted from that were the ones that got in and got out and cashed out out before the insiders starting dumping stock.

Old 07-27-2015, 11:10 AM

Is there anything to suggest this act was deliberate based on their vesting period, and not just bad timing? For example, were there also some that were laid off in the group one month after vesting?

I hear lots of "bad things" on the internet about this company, but I also hear some good success stories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area