Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2012, 02:10 PM

3 posts, read 3,901 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am moving to Seattle this summer from Ft. Lauderdale. I am considering 2 options: paying for a service to deliver my car (I've been quoted about $1050 for delivery so I would have to add the cost for airfare to get there) or driving over myself. This would mean hotels, food and gas. I drive a Prius so it's good in gas when compared to other cars.

Any suggestions on routes, stops, driving times, etc.?

Also, for a single woman in her early 40's, I am looking for good walking neighborhoods close to food shops, a dog park, close to bus or public transport. I will work in Bellevue so I need to have a convenient place to/from work. I'm looking at Capitol Hill but not sure if that's a good place.

Any recommendations? thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2012, 03:01 PM
AFD

41 posts, read 167,594 times
I lived in Seattle until September of Last year. Capitol Hill, Queene Anne there are also decent places in Pioneer Square. Personally however I would live in Bellevue you will not like that commute.. That route from Capitol Hill to Bellevue is horrendous unless you can pick your own working hours..

Old 04-03-2012, 07:12 PM

20 posts, read 87,990 times
if you think traffic is bad on I95 and 595, wait till you see it here

Old 04-05-2012, 09:43 PM

Thank you for the comments! I am hoping to find a place near the bus route that goes from Seattle right to Bellevue. I think Capitol Hill is not that close to it and that seems to be my first choice of neighborhods but to be honest I have not researched much the other areas. I don't plan on driving to Bellevue (or living there) I've been a few times for work and it's not for me to live. Thanks again.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:30 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,874,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picl24 View Post
I am hoping to find a place near the bus route that goes from Seattle right to Bellevue. I think Capitol Hill is not that close to it and that seems to be my first choice of neighborhods but to be honest I have not researched much the other areas. I don't plan on driving to Bellevue (or living there) I've been a few times for work and it's not for me to live. Thanks again.
Really, all you need to do from any Seattle nabe is get yourself to the tunnel (our subway which you can access from Westlake Ctr, International District, University, Pioneer) and from there get on #550 (550 | Bellevue - Seattle - SoundTransit ). The last time I took the bus from Capitol Hill to Westlake... it was roughly 7 mins. Really, wasn't that long.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:39 AM

1,062 posts, read 2,252,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picl24 View Post
Hi,

I am moving to Seattle this summer from Ft. Lauderdale. I am considering 2 options: paying for a service to deliver my car (I've been quoted about $1050 for delivery so I would have to add the cost for airfare to get there) or driving over myself. This would mean hotels, food and gas. I drive a Prius so it's good in gas when compared to other cars.

Any suggestions on routes, stops, driving times, etc.?

Also, for a single woman in her early 40's, I am looking for good walking neighborhoods close to food shops, a dog park, close to bus or public transport. I will work in Bellevue so I need to have a convenient place to/from work. I'm looking at Capitol Hill but not sure if that's a good place.

Any recommendations? thank you!
This from someone who lives in Miami and spent almost a month in Seattle in the summer of 2010, and about 6 weeks last summer. In my opinion, Traffic in the Seattle metro area is comparable to the Miami/Ft. Lauderdale area. If anyone would have asked me that question 8-10 years ago, I would have easily responded that traffic is worse in South Florida; now, I am not sure.
I feel one of the biggest difference in the increase in traffic is the rapid growth in Bellevue and the east side in general.

If it was me relocating and working in Bellevue, I would most likely live in Bellevue. Actually, yes I would live in Bellevue. Whether traffic is a little worse or a little better than South Florida, you can probably figure it is BAD!

Good luck with your decision.

Old 04-06-2012, 09:07 AM

Hi. thanks for the info but I am not considering Bellevue as an option. I've been there a few times and it's not a neighborhood I'm considering.

I really was hoping for recommendations on Seattle neighborhoods and driving tips from Ft. Lauderdale to Seattle (whether paying to have the car shipped or driving there myself).

I think Inkpoe's post has the info I was looking for. If anybody has any other neighborhoods for living that they would recommend besides Capitol Hill and Queen Anne, I would appreciate it. Also, I am looking for what I think is called 'vintage cottages' (small, older houses?) instead of an apartment. Are those common in Capitol Hill at all?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area