Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2012, 11:22 PM

1,018 posts, read 3,379,415 times

Advertisements

I have a friend that lives on union and mlk, and in the past 10 years, it has gone from bad to "ok". also, I have lived around Jackson and 18th; 8 years ago (at the start of CD) and now I see new apt buildings, and new construction for apartment buildings, also the first hill streetcar is going to "touch" the CD area in the future.

what do you see it in the future? I think that its an area that is shady, but its really close to the Downtown area, if apartment buildings get built and the middle class who works in downtown wants to live a life without a 2 hour commute, they will pay a high price. I have seen this done to Boston (where I was from) where the south end was really bad, and now its for the rich or middle class. the bad thing is that it forces poor people out, but the good thing is it makes that area safer. I'm neutral on the subject, since I am not rich, but I want to live in a safe area if possible, and yes, I have never done a crime in my life.

The CD area is really a 5 min drive to DT, 10 min bike, or 30 min walk. it is conveniently located, its really the closest area to downtown that is "unsafe".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 11:03 AM

561 posts, read 1,179,841 times
If the CD is gentifying, the process has been very gradual. I'm in that area quite a bit, and I don't think it's changed all that much in the last 10 yrs or so. It seems like a highly eccletic, diverse area to me. The only prevalent Yuppie-ish element I know of is the area surrounding Seattle U (students, staff, professors); most of the newer housing (including condos and apts) is in this area. The Madronna area seems to be gentrifying, but that area is on the very outskirts of the CD (many consider it a separate neighborhood entirely).

If you're mindful, I think you can find a place in the CD that's pretty safe. There are certainly some dicey areas like 23rd and Cherry, but I'm sure some other areas are fine. Good luck...

Old 04-11-2012, 03:33 PM

3,695 posts, read 11,368,771 times
There's been a marked shift in the population over the past ten or twenty years.

If you look at the map at Census 2010 | Seattle Times Newspaper, you can select for minority population. Minority population in the Central District declined between 2000 and 2010, while it increased heavily in south and east King County. It's pretty striking.

Old 04-11-2012, 03:48 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,330,094 times
The CD has definitely already gentrified to some degree, with some parts just not there yet. 18th and Jackson is particularly striking, and going east.The Starbucks at 23rd and Jackson is one of the busiest in the US. Around 23rd and Madison used to be pretty sketchy, and it's been all redone. But parts of Cherry St, Yesler, Jefferson are still a bit bedraggled.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:59 PM

1,018 posts, read 3,379,415 times
I just think in about 10-20 years, it will be an expensive place, the closeness to downtown, ID, hosipitals, etc. makes it a desireable place. i think its not a matter of if, but when.

yes, there are still some places there that I would not walk around in the daytime, but like IRA500 said, on 23rd and Madison with the apt buildings and Safeway there, it feels much safer than before. I see new townhomes and homes built here and there, I think sooner or later a few apartment complexes will really change the area.

Old 04-12-2012, 06:15 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
I remember doing some work up near Jackson and MLK about 10 years ago and wondering if my truck would still be in one piece when I came back out. I drove through there a few weeks ago, and while I wouldn't call it gentrified, it was a lot better.

Old 04-12-2012, 12:33 PM

1,980 posts, read 3,770,485 times
You should have seen the place 25 years ago. It is another world these days. The changes will continue for sure due to slender Seattle's geography. With downtown and adjacent neighborhoods becoming very popular on one end and gold coast Lake Washington on the other, it will continue to slowly evolve.

Old 04-12-2012, 06:34 PM

1,599 posts, read 3,132,464 times
What you should do is check out Home | CHS Capitol Hill Seattle. Read all the news in our area and see for yourself if it has been 'gentified' As a native in this area I have alway been a prime example of a Central area-Capital Hill absolute gentleman. If you want proof just see for yourself how I drink my sassafrass tea sticking out my pinky.

Old 12-09-2012, 08:37 PM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,910,334 times
This thread is a few months old but we are interested in a condo in the CD, not far from 23rd & Yesler. We've visited the neighborhood numerous times during the day and night and didn't feel unsafe at all. Rather we love the urban vibe that is in no way pretentious, a great mix of people and families. I think this area has changed tremendously over the past 20 years and is only going to become more attractive (and expensive), especially with the recently approved redevelopment of Yesler Terrace between the CD and downtown.

Or are we just kidding ourselves, ha ha?

Old 12-09-2012, 10:23 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,067,856 times
Yes. It's almost unrecognizable now from where it was in the late 90's. I had a friend - grad student at uw- that rented a place near 23rd and John. The block back then was half vacant lots, burn outs and crack houses. The area still had a lot of shootings back then, where it wasn't even newsworthy unless a non criminal was involved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area