Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 04:11 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,713,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
This is soooooo not true! Maybe in the south bay area but no where near does it look like that everywhere. The Bay Area has huge amounts of open, undeveloped land belonging to regional parks, state parks and national parks. The East Bay Regional Park District is the largest urban park district in the country. Just behind Oakland and Berkeley are huge areas of undeveloped parkland. The Bay Area is larger than the Seattle area but if any large metro area resembles the Seattle area it would be the Bay Area.
I fly over it about twice a month and have so for years. I know exactly what it looks like. When you fly over the Bay Area, there is absolutely positively no comparison to the greenery of Seattle. And I like the Bay Area a lot, so don't take that negatively. I just don't want the same to happen to Seattle. The Bay Area's biggest problem is frankly, too many people living there. It's so awesome that everyone came.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2012, 04:22 AM

130 posts, read 386,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
In some ways, Seattle and San Diego have some similarities in strange ways. The overall vibe of each city is very similar. Not sure what you didn't like about SD but I left there because I didn't like it either.
I lived in San Diego before and hated it. I am thankful everyday that I am no longer living there. I have Seattle as a top area of interest for grad school. I'm looking forward to the "freeze". My primary concern is that I am in an interracial relationship (black/white). My major problems with San Diego was the conservative, judgmental, shallow, and dare I say...racist people that I encountered while living there and out in public with my boyfriend. I still get angry even now just thinking about it.

I know that Seattle is very liberal, educated, and open to interracial couples. I spent one wonderful (and peaceful) week there on vacation. My concern is that, if too many San Diegans move there, the liberal and tolerant vibe will be tainted and drastically change for the worse.

Last edited by queenvic; 05-26-2012 at 04:38 AM..

Old 05-26-2012, 07:07 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,713,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenvic View Post
I lived in San Diego before and hated it. I am thankful everyday that I am no longer living there. I have Seattle as a top area of interest for grad school. I'm looking forward to the "freeze". My primary concern is that I am in an interracial relationship (black/white). My major problems with San Diego was the conservative, judgmental, shallow, and dare I say...racist people that I encountered while living there and out in public with my boyfriend. I still get angry even now just thinking about it.

I know that Seattle is very liberal, educated, and open to interracial couples. I spent one wonderful (and peaceful) week there on vacation. My concern is that, if too many San Diegans move there, the liberal and tolerant vibe will be tainted and drastically change for the worse.
Most people from San Diego don't take to Seattle because they are used to warm sunny beaches and Mediterranean temperatures. We don't have that. I hate the word "tolerant". It makes it sound like someone's "putting up with it". You may not like Seattle due to the long wet winters and dark overcast skies but we don't care about your relationship.

Old 05-26-2012, 01:18 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,871,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenvic View Post

*snorts* Seattle will never become un-liberal. Usually the people you're talking about will be driven/ran out of Seattle.

And Seacove's right, Seattle's not going to "tolerate" your interracial relationship... we just don't care about it.

Old 05-26-2012, 10:02 PM

130 posts, read 386,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
*snorts* Seattle will never become un-liberal. Usually the people you're talking about will be driven/ran out of Seattle.

And Seacove's right, Seattle's not going to "tolerate" your interracial relationship... we just don't care about it.
Awesome!!! That's music to my ears!!!

Old 05-28-2012, 01:15 AM

38 posts, read 106,279 times
Well, I'll get back to this thread in a week. I was born/raised down here in a SD suburb and I'm moving to Seattle on Sunday. I'll let you know what I think.

Old 05-29-2012, 06:11 PM

768 posts, read 718,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD90277 View Post
I am also very concerned about this topic. We are possibly contemplating a move but we are very happy with our current lifestyle in SoCal. We live a block away from the beach so we are used to having a good amount of sun, jogging paths along the beach, easy walk to the pier, etc. We open up our french doors to the balcony and are greeted with ocean breezes and a nice view.

It would be a major pain to get over there, find out we are miserable, and have to move back after quitting our jobs, selling our house, etc.

We have discussed it more and I think it is more likely now that if we do move we will rent out our house here and rent up there in Seattle just to make sure we're happy there. If we really do like it, we'll consider buying after 1 year. Seems like the smart thing to do for anyone who moves up there from SoCal.

It sounds like some people love it up there and some really have problems adjusting. I think I'll be ok since I lived in various places like Michigan, Asia, and NorCal but I've been in SoCal for the past 14 years (gee, time flies like crazy huh?) so I may be more used to this area than I think.
That's exactly what I'm doing! Leasing out my home and renting a house in Shoreline. I move next month and I am very excited. I've lived in Southern California since 1954. It has changed so much, I just can't stand it anymore. So when my only grandchild moved there last fall, I was ready, willing and able. I can get exactly twice the rent for my home than I'm going to be paying. I have family up there so that probably makes it more appealing to me. Good Luck with whatever you all decide to do!

Old 05-30-2012, 12:32 AM

485 posts, read 324,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelenogirl View Post
I am also one of those odd birds who is bored with these near-constant "sunny and 70" days. I like rain. Like, really like it.
I hear ya!! I lived in Seattle for a short time about 12 years ago and LOVED it. I miss it so much - I've been trying to get back ever since but no luck. I would be perfectly content to move there and just stay put! My husbands job is unique (TV News Anchor/Reporter) so those jobs are hard to come by but Seattle is at the top our list. We would be willing to take a pay cut to go there! So if anyone knows of any media/journalist jobs in Seattle...message me, please!!!

Angelenogirl, I think you'll love it there!! Good luck on your move!

Old 05-30-2012, 09:06 AM

182 posts, read 323,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelenogirl View Post
My husband and I are considering a move to Seattle, but I worry about making such a huge move and then regretting it. I know there is far more calculus involved, and it's all fairly subjective and specific to each family, but I feel native Californians have enough of a shared experience to give me a rough idea of what the move was like, and if there are regrets overall.

Some of my hesitance comes from relocating to San Diego last year from Los Angeles (where I was raised) and not loving it like I thought I would. I am launching a startup, and the tech scene in San Diego seems almost non-existent. I am also one of those odd birds who is bored with these near-constant "sunny and 70" days. I like rain. Like, really like it. So, for a number of reasons, Seattle has become a now daily topic of conversation. (Though I fear I may be idealizing/romanticizing it a bit.)

I welcome any and all thoughts. I also would love to find that perfect balance between urban and family-friendly. I love quaint and walkable street-level charm, but I also want a really safe and strong community vibe for the kids. Right now I'm trapped in a master-planned community and it's killing me. Way too Stepford!

Sorry to be so longwinded. Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for your help!
If you've only lived in SD for a year, how can you really know the place? I get what you're saying about the "Stepford" feel, but c'mon, the entire city is not like that! I know because I'm planning a move there too and have your exact same concerns.

I found Normal Heights/Hillcrest to have easily as much if not more flavor than Seattle's Capitol Hill (the most "urban" or "artistic" area of Seattle). I also saw a lot more music in SD. I searched and searched in Seattle and even in Capitol Hill NO ONE could tell me where a live music venue was?! WTF?

I am also told by several San Diegans that there are a lot of restaurants there that stay open till 3 or 4 in the morning. Things tend to shut down earlier in Seattle.

I agree Seattle is more interesting, way more down to earth, and has more charm. But I saw a lot more energy in SD at night. Gaslamp has everything. Great restaurants, bistros, people everywhere. I'm not sure I saw the same type of energy anywhere in Seattle.

If I had my choice I'd pick Seattle. It fits me better (prob like you). But my point is don't down SD until you explore it a little more. It has a lot to offer.

Old 05-30-2012, 09:13 AM

182 posts, read 323,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
I fly over it about twice a month and have so for years. I know exactly what it looks like. When you fly over the Bay Area, there is absolutely positively no comparison to the greenery of Seattle. And I like the Bay Area a lot, so don't take that negatively. I just don't want the same to happen to Seattle. The Bay Area's biggest problem is frankly, too many people living there. It's so awesome that everyone came.
I love when subjective views are stated as fact. If you like wilderness, mountains, etc, Seattle will look better. If you like a more mild, mediterranean climate, SF will look better. I tend to prefer SF's islands, more expansive bay, hills, etc., but I also love and appreciate Seattle. It's just my personal preference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area