Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2012, 01:15 PM

731 posts, read 935,167 times

Advertisements

What lives inside of me is a desire for sunshine! Evergray, where would you live in the Bay area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2012, 07:26 PM

1,979 posts, read 3,524,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evergraystate View Post
That is so true.
OK, that pic made me LOL.

Old 06-01-2012, 08:40 PM

40 posts, read 61,874 times
Default No regrets

Quote:
Once the novelty wears off (only takes a couple of weeks) you'll regret the move every minute of your life. Good luck
Been here over a year after 35 years in Santa Barbara. I will never go back south to live for any reason. No regrets, except I would like to have a few more rainy days here. Still too much sun!

Old 06-01-2012, 10:21 PM

2,064 posts, read 4,433,014 times
I guess we'll find out in a few months. I'll be around and see how I feel at the end of the year when the days are short and the weather is cold and rainy.

Old 06-02-2012, 12:17 AM

5,147 posts, read 7,473,761 times
Really, I don't think you can ever say what others will feel. I enjoy overcast skies. I love fish. Not everyone is fitted for Southern California. Or any place, as far as that goes.

Old 06-02-2012, 12:40 AM

14 posts, read 24,323 times
I'm finding this thread fascinating as we currently live in WA (have for 19 years) and are just weeks away from moving south!
What finally did it for us? Being COLD, and being sedentary.
I grew up in WI and MN. I know cold. But even in the midwest, I wasn't as cold as I am here. There's something about this wet that just cuts me to the bone. Obviously this isn't true for everyone .
We are big fans of hiking and cycling. But I've now done enough hiking and cycling in the rain (which again led to the bone-chilling COLD) to make me realize I hate it and won't go. We compromised this year with a treadmill, bicycling trainer and a sauna. It still feels like we're sedentary and anti-social.
When the weather is nice, no place is more beautiful. However we finally decided that we will happily come back to visit in the summer, and enjoy the sun elsewhere the rest of the year
Best wishes to you!

Old 06-02-2012, 10:12 AM

56 posts, read 160,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzPod View Post
I'm finding this thread fascinating as we currently live in WA (have for 19 years) and are just weeks away from moving south!
I grew up in WI and MN. I know cold. But even in the midwest, I wasn't as cold as I am here. There's something about this wet that just cuts me to the bone. Obviously this isn't true for everyone .
We are big fans of hiking and cycling. But I've now done enough hiking and cycling in the rain (which again led to the bone-chilling COLD) to make me realize I hate it and won't go. We compromised this year with a treadmill, bicycling trainer and a sauna. It still feels like we're sedentary and anti-social.
When the weather is nice, no place is more beautiful. However we finally decided that we will happily come back to visit in the summer, and enjoy the sun elsewhere the rest of the year
Best wishes to you!

OzPod...you are "singing our song".. We have been here 6 years.(from CA) .and did the same thing..bought indoor exercise equipment last year just to try to get some exercise...but just isn't the same. We need more consistent sunshine and warmth..and looking at the weather forecast..we are in for another "Junuary" after having just had another "Mayvember" . We agree...no place on earth is prettier than here on a sunny summer day..but we personally just need a lot more of them! We already bought our house down South..just waiting to tie up some loose ends here before we go. This place is a slice of Heaven for many..but just not for us..which is ok.

Old 06-02-2012, 11:17 AM

1,082 posts, read 2,560,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzPod View Post
Best wishes to you!
I know how you feel. Being in WA for 3 years absolutely killed our desire for any outdoor activities most of the year after being spoiled in California. Seattle's sedentary lifestyle (as much as they like pretend the opposite) is not for us. Truth is nobody is going hiking, biking or kayaking in 42f drizzle. Good luck with your move. We're just days away from ours.

Old 06-04-2012, 11:20 AM

731 posts, read 935,167 times
Take me with you!!!!

Old 06-04-2012, 09:06 PM

325 posts, read 787,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randevan View Post
Been here over a year after 35 years in Santa Barbara. I will never go back south to live for any reason. No regrets, except I would like to have a few more rainy days here. Still too much sun!
Sounds like me. I moved to the Seattle area from Reno and felt that way my first winter and every winter since.

Quote:
I know how you feel. Being in WA for 3 years absolutely killed our desire for any outdoor activities most of the year after being spoiled in California. Seattle's sedentary lifestyle (as much as they like pretend the opposite) is not for us. Truth is nobody is going hiking, biking or kayaking in 42f drizzle. Good luck with your move. We're just days away from ours.
Plenty of people work out in the Seattle area. Of course there are some sedentary people, but to say that Seattle is in general sedentary is not accurate at all. According to Fittest Cities, From Denver to Los Angeles - The Daily Beast and these credentials ...

Quote:
To rank the fitness level of American cities, we turned to two of the most trusted sources on the topic. The American College of Sports Medicine’s American Fitness Index is produced annually with the WellPoint Foundation to scientifically assess the health, fitness, and quality of life of metro areas across the country. From its research, we included the percentage of residents who were physically active in the last month, the percentage who are considered to be in very good or excellent health, and the percentage who are categorized as obese. In addition, we considered where each city ranked on the Gallup-Healthways Well-Being Index, which analyzes the health of the American population in the categories of physical well-being and healthy behavior.
... Seattle is right up there with the California cities, including just one spot behind San Diego and eight spots ahead of L.A.

2. San Francisco ... Percentage of residents who performed physical activity in the last 30 days: 82.6% ... Obese: 18.1% ... In excellent or very good health: 59.5% ... Gallup physical well-being index rank: 33 ... Gallup healthy-behavior index rank: 14

6. San Jose ... Percentage of residents who performed physical activity in the last 30 days: 81.5% ... Obese: 20.8% ... In excellent or very good health: 58.3% ... Gallup physical well-being index rank: 8 ... Gallup healthy-behavior index rank: 15

9. San Diego ... Percentage of residents who performed physical activity in the last 30 days: 79.9% ... Obese: 21.6% ... In excellent or very good health: 58.4% ... Gallup physical well-being index rank: 19 ... Gallup healthy-behavior index rank: 17

10. Seattle ... Percentage of residents who performed physical activity in the last 30 days: 81.8% ... Obese: 23.9% ... In excellent or very good health: 57.6% ... Gallup physical well-being index rank: 76 ... Gallup healthy-behavior index rank: 32

13. Sacramento, Calif. ... Percentage of residents who performed physical activity in the last 30 days: 81.5% ... Obese: 25.9% ... In excellent or very good health: 59.4% ... Gallup physical well-being index rank: 70 ... Gallup healthy-behavior index rank: 34

18. Los Angeles ... Percentage of residents who performed physical activity in the last 30 days: 77.8% ... Obese: 23.6% ... In excellent or very good health: 48.8% ... Gallup physical well-being index rank: 40 ... Gallup healthy-behavior index rank: 22

---

Of course rain or a little (non-Midwest level) cold doesn't stop me from going out for a run. The dreariness of the desert setting that is the bulk of California does, however. I guess everybody has their own things that motivate - or de-motivate - them.

I genuinely hope you will be happy in your new home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area